Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Delaware Valley Sports Center

first gun purchase coming from nj and not knowing much about guns i went in to find a 9mm or a 45, the employee talked me into buying a hi point 380 for $229, again i dont know much about guns, even though i did not like the gun at first the employee reassured me its a good gun for a good price. i took this thing home and boy is it crap. i dont know much but i know a 380 shouldn't be as heavy as a large newborn and just as fragile, not to mention the fact that i looked on the hi point website to see the suggested retail price of $140. so i returned to the shop with my $229 paperweight hoping to trade up, just to find that they will only buy the gun back for $100 and sell me another one, citing that i shouldnt have bought it in the first place. well i am so glad the Delaware Valley Sports Center stands by their sales staff and the products they push. am i wrong or should i expect better treatment?

(York County)

Default Re: Delaware Valley Sports Center

Although I can't speak to your specific situation, I can tell you that I have never been pressured to purchase anything from the store and each member of the staff (I have interacted with two different people when interested in purchasing a gun) have answered all my questions and took all the time required to make me feel comfortable with the transaction.

I have spoke about this here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/shops-20/1232...thumbs-up.html

Generally speaking though, I don't think that any gun shop would "take back" or buy back a firearm from you at the price that you bought it from them; it is just not that kind of business as they could never be profitable if they operated along those lines.

Also, with HiPoint pistols in general, you have some people that love them and some that hate them. I guess in your case you'll fall into the "hate" category.

(Philadelphia County)

Dear sir when you came back it was 2 weeks after purchase and when you purchased you stated you had a limited budget no one here made you purchase that weapon you chose too also as you stated you know little about firearms so you should have researched a little more don't blame us for buyer remorse we tried to please you. Go buy a new car then take it back see if you get what you paid.

that's why you need to do research before buying a gun. 1st gun i brought, 24/7 in 45 at a different store in philly. i paid close to 500.00, including tax and fees. when i looked it up online, 330.00. but i never really held it against the store, he's in it to made money and if a dumbass (me) wants to pay 5bills for it then that's that.

like when buying a car or house, ppl with bad credit always pays more, when it come to gun, people without knowledge pays more.

(Delaware County)

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose:

http://forum.pafoa.org/shops-20/1012...st-philly.html

I have admittedly only visited once, but that was plenty.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

i've shot there a few time, yes, it's cold, and the backstop sucks, i had 1 45 slug landed a few feet in front of me. last time i was there, in jan, 1/2 the lanes were down.

also, i don't like the fact that there's no view of the range from the counter. they probably got cameras, but i don't remember seeing them. I've seen ppl shooting at chains, that's hanging from the ceiling, and there are alot of holes up there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by shot gunner pro View Post
    Dear sir when you came back it was 2 weeks after purchase and when you purchased you stated you had a limited budget no one here made you purchase that weapon you chose too also as you stated you know little about firearms so you should have researched a little more don't blame us for buyer remorse we tried to please you. Go buy a new car then take it back see if you get what you paid.
    Well to correct you it was 12 days and not 2 weeks even though that should not matter, I was not looking for my money back, I was just looking not to get hosed too much on the trade in, that's the point, I was looking to trade up! I spelled it out for you very clearly when I was there, that firearm you could not have paid more than $140, selling it to me for $229 makes you a nice profit which I have no problem with, that's the market. But when I came back to trade up you said $100 only no budge and I'm dumb for buying in the first place (not in those words exactly). This just confuses me coming from other areas of retail, even offering me $150, I would have jumped for joy and bought a $800-$1000 pistol, but no you couldn't budge and that was your decision, but don't give me crap about how you can only give $100 because you can't sell it for much, I ended up selling it for $160 myself so thats a bunch of malarky you saw an opportunity to make double profit on the same gun and I wasn't having it. Well now I'm looking for a nice .45 and maybe a 12g and guess where I wont be spending the money?
    P.S I have never seen business owners so vehemently troll online forum to refute or defend yourselves from someone who gives their opinion. If only more attention was paid to the business maybe the industry wouldn't be where it is today.

(Bucks County)

229 for any hi-point firearm is at least 100 bucks to much but you learned a valuable lesson in regards to doing research before going out and buying a firearm. in the future if you're looking to buy a firearm in the philly area checkout surplus city guns, classic pistol or tanners. all three shops are less than an hour drive from anywhere near philly, each have a great selection of firearms, prices are fair, knowledgable and friendly staff and none of them sell junk guns like hi-point. if you don't do anything else post your firearm question here on PAFOA and ask the advice of the many knowledgable members.
    Last edited by wellcraft; March 12th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

To the OP... It sounds like there may have been a few lessons to be learned, and it also sounds like you learned them. You have obviously found this site, which will prove to be a valuable resource for most firearms needs, but also, back up what you read here, and cross reference with other sources. From your accounting (at least what I gather from it) it sounds as if you bought a firearm that you did not handle prior to buying it, as yuou said once you got it home you found it to be heavy, etc. Purchasing without handling, at least, if not firing the firearm (from other posts/threads it appears this place has a range with rental firearms available) does not seem to be a wise decision. If thwe case was that the salesperson did not allow you to handle, then it your decision to leave without making a purchase should have seemed rather easy, however if you did not ask to handle the firearm, then it is on you.

To shotgunner... I would assume from your post that you are a low level employee and not a manager/owner of this business. Anyone that is in business would not be so quick to berate a potential future customer (income source?) on an internet forum. That speaks of poor customer relations. If your position is higher than a peon, then shame on you for taking such a devil may care attitude with a customer, and remember this is a public forum, where your comments are available for all to see. While not many people may have commented on your comment, I am sure it has been viewed by many, and that fact may come back to haunt you. You won't last long in retail with that type of disposition.

To the Hi Point... I believe they have their place. I own a Hi Point 9mm, and it is my boat gun. Meaning, I keep it on my boat, and God forbid something happens and it goes to the bottom of the Mon, I can say farewell, and not really concern myself with diving for it, however if I were to drop my Kimber in the drink, then I'd be more apt to spend the following month scouring the bottom of the river for it. Also if you search youtube for "hi point torture test" you will see some amazing videos regarding some serious torture of a hi point. Impressive what it holds up to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Wash View Post
    To shotgunner... I would assume from your post that you are a low level employee and not a manager/owner of this business. Anyone that is in business would not be so quick to berate a potential future customer (income source?) on an internet forum. That speaks of poor customer relations. If your position is higher than a peon, then shame on you for taking such a devil may care attitude with a customer, and remember this is a public forum, where your comments are available for all to see. While not many people may have commented on your comment, I am sure it has been viewed by many, and that fact may come back to haunt you. You won't last long in retail with that type of disposition.
    I don't think it is just this store, check out the thread on bob's gun shop, the employees spent about a year posting responses to one guy's post about his experience. I think it goes deeper into the personalities and views of people who sell firearms.