Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default S & W 29-9 Good deal, or not?

I just got a call from a friend visiting a gun shop. He said they had a S&W 29-2 ser#N646xxx. Great shape, under $400. Can anyone tell me when it was manufactured. This price seems too good.

(Pike County)

Default Re: S & W 29-9 Good deal, or not?

The Std. Catalog of Smith & Wesson says N600000 to N700000 would be 1979 -1980. Thats a really good price.

Default Re: S & W 29-9 Good deal, or not?

It depends upon actual condition and configuration in addition to cosmetic appearance.

Barrel length - 8 3/8" and 4" used to be less desirable. Lately 4" is more popular. 4" guns used to go VERY cheaply. Somebody would see "Dirty Harry" and go out looking for a 6" 29-2. They were scarce, so they'd buy a 4" gun and a box of the hottest ammunition they could find. A couple of weeks later, the same gun would go up for sale again. I'm sure that's how I got my gun (along with the "spitting" problem) so cheaply.

Original grips?

Original finish? - S&W damaged the original barrel on my gun during a repair. They had no replacement barrels. I had to send them a replacement barrel, which had surface blemishes. The whole gun had to be reblued. It's now essentially worthless, but looks very good. I expect I'd get roughly $400 for it if I sold it today, even with the original box, grips and tools.

Condition of forcing cone - My 4" gun had a bad forcing cone from the day I bought it used, around '84. It wasn't bad with Specials but with Magnums it spit BADLY. The forcing cone had to be recut and the barrel hood turned back so the barrel could be screwed in to the proper barrel-cylinder gap. I suspect it came bad from the factory.

If the gun is safe and SHOOTS well, I would definitely pay $400 for it. Anything else is icing on the cake.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: S & W 29-2 Good deal, or not?

Thank you both for the input, I was not sure what year it was made, and after '82, I know that the S&W quality slipped. The 29-3 had some issues. This gun is an 8-3/8, with some leather holster wear, and original grips. (holster included) I will probably go look at it tomorrow.(and buy it) It is actually priced under $400. The shop took it as a trade. I have not seen it myself, but I trust my buddies input. Even though I wasn't in the market for one, I bought a K-22 last month out of the classifieds. I am pretty sure it was made in 1967. It was in excellent condition, and shoots beautifully. I am a sucker for a good deal on a Smith and Wesson, my problem is limited funds, and I really want an older Model 41 with a 7" barrel. If I buy the .44 mag, the Model 41 will have to wait even longer. It sucks to be an addict!

Thanks again,
    Bunnychaser65