Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PICS check?

(Bucks County)

Default PICS check?

Not sure where to post this question but here it is. Is there a set amount that a dealer is charged for a back ground check or is it done for them free of charge. The reason i ask is because i have been charged different prices at different shops in the last couple of months.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: PICS check?

I've been told the state charges them $5 and that's the lowest I've ever paid. The most was $20.

The store can charge you whatever it wants to charge.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Bucks County)

I just was unsure if the state even charged them for it. I understand that they can charge what ever they want and why wouldn't the mark it up.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigworm40 View Post
    I just was unsure if the state even charged them for it. I understand that they can charge what ever they want and why wouldn't the mark it up.
    The last time I checked at Dick's, it was free (probably wrapped up in the price of the gun). Although, they had some of the better OTC prices around for a Ruger 10-22 at ~$200.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigworm40 View Post
    The PICS charges dealers $2.00 for the phone call it's self; plus there is a $3.00 surcharge on each firearm purchased. So for one gun it costs us $5.00; two guns $8.00; and so on. Many dealers such as myself build the the cost into the retail price and pass it on this way. Some tack it on at the end in varying amounts. There is no set limit on what a dealer may or may not charge for his sevices. Some just tack on an extra $5.00 over the retail price; others go $20.00, $30.00 or more for whatever reason they have for doing so.

This is not the same as doing an outside transfer. If Mr. A wants to sell his firearm to Mr. B and needs to use a dealer to transfer it, the PICS still charges us the same amount. Again there is no set limit what we can charge for our services. The usual cost for an outside transfer is $20.00-$30.00. Not bad considering the paperwork we have to do and the responsibility it places on us to do it so that the ATF and the PICS people don't get ugly with us.

As for transfers when you buy something online and have it shipped to us and we charge you to transfwr that. That's another story probably outside the scope of this thread.

(Blair County)

A little more about Internet/private transfers. If the dealer has no money involved, that is if the firearm does not come from his inventory and does not result in PA Sales tax being collected, the background is $2, regardless of the number of firearms transferred. As an example, a guy buys AK,s and SKS’s and lets them collect in my shop, he’s buying one at a time over the net. He lets them gather and multiply until 22 are sitting around. He comes in and I charge him $20, and PICS charges me $2 TOTAL. Or my brother orders 20 YUGO SKS.s and transfers them at one time, a $2 charge. Or a guy comes in with 15 handguns and transfers them to another, again one $2 charge.
    Steve

(Adams County)

the state charges $2 i will pay no morethen $5. if the dealer wants to and some have tried to hit me for 20 or more at a show or even in their shop. i just tell them to keep their gun.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    the state charges $2 i will pay no morethen $5. if the dealer wants to and some have tried to hit me for 20 or more at a show or even in their shop. i just tell them to keep their gun.
    Bob, you might want to reconsider.
    It's back to supply and demand. The Clinton administration reduced the FFL population by 2/3s.

Rather than have the dealer rip you off for that FFL transfer fee, you can just go out and get that license yourself.

If you can get it?
    If you can afford it?
    If you are in a location that qualifies?
    If you want to go to the trouble to establish a relationship with the local law enforcement officials?
    Establishing a all the requirements for collecting taxes?

And lots of other things that I have not even listed that a person has to do to get an FFL. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=105950

My local FFL takes good care of me for $25 per gun transfer and I am glad to pay it.

Smitty56

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    The PICS charges dealers $2.00 for the phone call it's self; plus there is a $3.00 surcharge on each firearm purchased. So for one gun it costs us $5.00; two guns $8.00; and so on. Many dealers such as myself build the the cost into the retail price and pass it on this way. Some tack it on at the end in varying amounts. There is no set limit on what a dealer may or may not charge for his sevices. Some just tack on an extra $5.00 over the retail price; others go $20.00, $30.00 or more for whatever reason they have for doing so.

This is not the same as doing an outside transfer. If Mr. A wants to sell his firearm to Mr. B and needs to use a dealer to transfer it, the PICS still charges us the same amount. Again there is no set limit what we can charge for our services. The usual cost for an outside transfer is $20.00-$30.00. Not bad considering the paperwork we have to do and the responsibility it places on us to do it so that the ATF and the PICS people don't get ugly with us.

As for transfers when you buy something online and have it shipped to us and we charge you to transfwr that. That's another story probably outside the scope of this thread.
    Thanks for your help. I was just unsure on how the system worked. Where is your shop or are you show only?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    Because an FFL is free and easy to get, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast