Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: PICS check?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sellersville, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    65

    Default PICS check?

    Not sure where to post this question but here it is. Is there a set amount that a dealer is charged for a back ground check or is it done for them free of charge. The reason i ask is because i have been charged different prices at different shops in the last couple of months.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oreland, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    280
    Rep Power
    149

    Default Re: PICS check?

    I've been told the state charges them $5 and that's the lowest I've ever paid. The most was $20.

    The store can charge you whatever it wants to charge.


    Ham radio: when all else fails.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sellersville, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: PICS check?

    I just was unsure if the state even charged them for it. I understand that they can charge what ever they want and why wouldn't the mark it up.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SE, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    523
    Rep Power
    183253

    Default Re: PICS check?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm40 View Post
    I just was unsure if the state even charged them for it. I understand that they can charge what ever they want and why wouldn't the mark it up.
    The last time I checked at Dick's, it was free (probably wrapped up in the price of the gun). Although, they had some of the better OTC prices around for a Ruger 10-22 at ~$200.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ligonier, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    1,298
    Rep Power
    14968947

    Default Re: PICS check?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm40 View Post
    I just was unsure if the state even charged them for it. I understand that they can charge what ever they want and why wouldn't the mark it up.
    The PICS charges dealers $2.00 for the phone call it's self; plus there is a $3.00 surcharge on each firearm purchased. So for one gun it costs us $5.00; two guns $8.00; and so on. Many dealers such as myself build the the cost into the retail price and pass it on this way. Some tack it on at the end in varying amounts. There is no set limit on what a dealer may or may not charge for his sevices. Some just tack on an extra $5.00 over the retail price; others go $20.00, $30.00 or more for whatever reason they have for doing so.

    This is not the same as doing an outside transfer. If Mr. A wants to sell his firearm to Mr. B and needs to use a dealer to transfer it, the PICS still charges us the same amount. Again there is no set limit what we can charge for our services. The usual cost for an outside transfer is $20.00-$30.00. Not bad considering the paperwork we have to do and the responsibility it places on us to do it so that the ATF and the PICS people don't get ugly with us.

    As for transfers when you buy something online and have it shipped to us and we charge you to transfwr that. That's another story probably outside the scope of this thread.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bellwood (Tyrone), Pennsylvania
    (Blair County)
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    587999

    Default Re: PICS check?

    A little more about Internet/private transfers. If the dealer has no money involved, that is if the firearm does not come from his inventory and does not result in PA Sales tax being collected, the background is $2, regardless of the number of firearms transferred. As an example, a guy buys AK,s and SKSs and lets them collect in my shop, hes buying one at a time over the net. He lets them gather and multiply until 22 are sitting around. He comes in and I charge him $20, and PICS charges me $2 TOTAL. Or my brother orders 20 YUGO SKS.s and transfers them at one time, a $2 charge. Or a guy comes in with 15 handguns and transfers them to another, again one $2 charge.
    Steve

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    gardeners, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    113424

    Default Re: PICS check?

    the state charges $2 i will pay no morethen $5. if the dealer wants to and some have tried to hit me for 20 or more at a show or even in their shop. i just tell them to keep their gun.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Springfield, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    114895

    Default Re: PICS check?

    Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    the state charges $2 i will pay no morethen $5. if the dealer wants to and some have tried to hit me for 20 or more at a show or even in their shop. i just tell them to keep their gun.
    Bob, you might want to reconsider.
    It's back to supply and demand. The Clinton administration reduced the FFL population by 2/3s.

    Rather than have the dealer rip you off for that FFL transfer fee, you can just go out and get that license yourself.

    If you can get it?
    If you can afford it?
    If you are in a location that qualifies?
    If you want to go to the trouble to establish a relationship with the local law enforcement officials?
    Establishing a all the requirements for collecting taxes?

    And lots of other things that I have not even listed that a person has to do to get an FFL. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=105950

    My local FFL takes good care of me for $25 per gun transfer and I am glad to pay it.

    Smitty56

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sellersville, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: PICS check?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    The PICS charges dealers $2.00 for the phone call it's self; plus there is a $3.00 surcharge on each firearm purchased. So for one gun it costs us $5.00; two guns $8.00; and so on. Many dealers such as myself build the the cost into the retail price and pass it on this way. Some tack it on at the end in varying amounts. There is no set limit on what a dealer may or may not charge for his sevices. Some just tack on an extra $5.00 over the retail price; others go $20.00, $30.00 or more for whatever reason they have for doing so.

    This is not the same as doing an outside transfer. If Mr. A wants to sell his firearm to Mr. B and needs to use a dealer to transfer it, the PICS still charges us the same amount. Again there is no set limit what we can charge for our services. The usual cost for an outside transfer is $20.00-$30.00. Not bad considering the paperwork we have to do and the responsibility it places on us to do it so that the ATF and the PICS people don't get ugly with us.

    As for transfers when you buy something online and have it shipped to us and we charge you to transfwr that. That's another story probably outside the scope of this thread.
    Thanks for your help. I was just unsure on how the system worked. Where is your shop or are you show only?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Posts
    675
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: PICS check?

    Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    the state charges $2 i will pay no morethen $5. if the dealer wants to and some have tried to hit me for 20 or more at a show or even in their shop. i just tell them to keep their gun.
    Because an FFL is free and easy to get, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PICS check
    By kinggreene in forum General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM
  2. $25 PICS check??
    By The Unknown 1087 in forum General
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: December 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
  3. PICS check for lowers?
    By headcase in forum General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: November 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
  4. Failed PICS check
    By skyjerk in forum General
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: March 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
  5. PICS pre-check?
    By Tyro in forum General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: March 12th, 2007, 11:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops