Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ithaca

(Schuylkill County)

Default ithaca

looking foe the value of model 37 featherweight 20 ga. and a winchester model 12 -16 ga. both are rusted they were not taken care of, but i got them cheap anyone have any ideas thanks

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: ithaca

I have seen Ithica 20ga as you mentioned, in good condition, go for around $180-$300... I'm not sure of the condition of yours, but if they are pretty rusted, they are probably a better paper weight than an investment.

The Winchester, depending on what version it is... if it is the standard grade model 12, I would guess it may be worth around $200-$400 or so in good condition. If it happens to be the "pigeon grade" model 12, it could be worth thousands of dollars. Most likely it is only the standard model, but I would definitely make sure.

Again, these are the average prices of good, working condition. You'll have to use your own judgment as to how far they are gone.

Hope this helps...
    III%

(Schuylkill County)

thanks for the reply they only have surface rust and a little pitting but both guns work really well [action wise] but the stock on the ithaca is broke, as far as the winchester how do I find out if its a pigion or standard,it has a built on adjustabel chock and mainly only surface rust on that one

(Schuylkill County)

i did some googling for ya and it seems to me that if it is a pigeon grade it should have a pigeon on the bottom side of the mag/feed tube close to where the it and the receiver meet... should be able to see it clearly if the pump is in the closed action position...

i've shot my fair share of model 12's and i don't remember any of the one's i've handled having this designation or marking

(Schuylkill County)

hey thanks for searhing around for the info, but there is no pigion that sucks ,but I am still going to fix her all up and keep it thanks again DRAW BLOOD

(Schuylkill County)

still not a bad shotgun, either of them... i have an ithaca 20ga 37 featherlight myself... shoots great, not worth a bunch of money or anything but its fun to shoot and light to carry, i take that out when i don't feel like lugging my wingmaster along, lol

try some real fine steel wool, and plenty of wd40, and rub LIGHTLY to get that surface rust off...

trick is to get as much of the rust off without messing up the finish too badly..

good luck... throw some pics up if ya can

(Schuylkill County)

Yea, if it's just surface rust, you should be able to clean it up pretty nicely. My BIL got a Browning a little while back for a good price because it had some surface rust. It has a nice design and everything on it. He got it cleaned up and blued and it looks really nice.
    III%

(Schuylkill County)

thanks for the input, I will try these steps and if that dont work I have a cold bluing set that I'm going to try