Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default HELP WITH AMMO BUSINESS!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    Last edited by PINWORMFOOD; August 25th, 2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: clarification

(Delaware County)

Default Re: HELP WITH AMMO BUSINESS!!!

Perhaps you should post this in another 5-7 subforums?

(Allegheny County)

Pardon my ignorance but aren't you asking the members here to do your homework for you? If you are setting up a business then surely you have a business plan and certainlythose questions should be included in a properly set up business plan.

No personal experience setting up an ammo store though.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PINWORMFOOD View Post
    I am interested is setting up a business . . . .
    I agree with the other posts. Doesn't matter what type of business. Get an accountant. Get a lawyer familiar with the laws and regs applicable to the type of business you want to start. Prepare a business plan and review it with your accountant. Don't even think about it without doing these very early on "legwork" items.

It sounds like you have the customer base (probably the most valuable asset of a business) but not the knowledge required to service that base (suppliers, facilities, equipment, etc.). Consider partnering with someone who does know.

Bill Gates started out with a customer, a knowledge of business, and some guy (anybody remember who he was?) who actually knew how to make the product. Everybody knows who Bill Gates is. Not many remember the guy who actually knew how to make the product.

(Northampton County)

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    Last edited by PINWORMFOOD; August 25th, 2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: DONT KNOW HOW TO DELETE THREAD

do you need a type of ffl to sell ammo?

(Bucks County)

Why wouln't a shooting school/facility by directly from a wholesaler? Why the middle-man?

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

If I help you will you send free ammo? You need to incorporate and you need to get a certificate of authority to collect sales tax so that you are exempt from paying tax on what you buy wholesale. If you want to file income under your own income and not as a separate entity you can seek S-Corporation status. If you are serious about this you really need a lawyer, some states regulate ammo under obscure statutes such as those pertaining to fireworks, of all things. You need an Inc. or LLC to absolve you of liability though and insurance. Also, you need to make sure your house is zoned for business if that is where you want to conduct business. That will be one case of 5.56, thanks.
    http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=98263,00.html
    http://www.powerhomebiz.com/vol136/structure.htm
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Lycoming County)

Hello guys, and than you in advance for any information that you guys can help me with. I am interested is setting up a business supplying a shooting school with ammo. I have figured out the numbers and the amount of ammo needed is pretty staggering. That being said, I would like to know who the best wholesale suppliers are, and what they typically need to set up dealer pricing. Also, is there any federal laws and regs that need to be followed for having an ammo only business? do states typically have regulations for setting up an ammo biz? like stupid things, such as special storage, 5 foot thick walls on buildings, anything utterly ridiculous that would prevent you from just opening up and selling ammo. I know i can walk into any gun store and buy any amount of ammo with no paperwork, but does a biz really need to check i.d. to make sure buyer is 18?Yes, 18 for Rifle and 21 for pistol. how about a buyer being a convicted felon? how is a store owner supposed to find that out? Never heard a news story about a ammo retailer being sued cause he sold ammo to a felon, butwith out legal system who knows.what about insurance and liability....like if a guy gets a squib round and blows up his gun, because he bought the rounds at your store, can you be sued...anyone have any stories and/or experience? General product liability is anyone who touches the product from manufacturer, to wholesaler to retailer can be sued.(for different amounts of course)

thank you very much guys, and i would really appreciate experienced input on this one. i don't want to waste a good portion of my nest egg making mistakes and trying to make a biz out of something that I am going to have nothing but headaches and troubles. thanks, pinwormfood
    Mine is the bold. I'll help with what I can...But IANAL.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Montgomery County)

Hello guys, and than you in advance for any information that you guys can help me with. I am interested is setting up a business supplying a shooting school with ammo. I have figured out the numbers and the amount of ammo needed is pretty staggering. That being said, I would like to know who the best wholesale suppliers are, and what they typically need to set up dealer pricing. Also, is there any federal laws and regs that need to be followed for having an ammo only business? do states typically have regulations for setting up an ammo biz? like stupid things, such as special storage, 5 foot thick walls on buildings, anything utterly ridiculous that would prevent you from just opening up and selling ammo. I know i can walk into any gun store and buy any amount of ammo with no paperwork, but does a biz really need to check i.d. to make sure buyer is 18? how about a buyer being a convicted felon? how is a store owner supposed to find that out? what about insurance and liability....like if a guy gets a squib round and blows up his gun, because he bought the rounds at your store, can you be sued...anyone have any stories and/or experience?

thank you very much guys, and i would really appreciate experienced input on this one. i don't want to waste a good portion of my nest egg making mistakes and trying to make a biz out of something that I am going to have nothing but headaches and troubles. thanks, pinwormfood
    You do not need an FFL to be an ammo dealer.

Yes you have to check ID.

Go to the BATF-E website and do some serious reading. There is no check if an ammo buyer is a felon or not.

For insurance, look up insurance broker for business related insurance products and start asking questions and writing down quotes for general liability insurance.

This is America, anyone can be sued at anytime by anyone else. In civil court (money at stake, not freedom) there is no free lawyer. You can expect to be sued if you conduct any reasonable amount of business.

Before you go spending your life savings enroll at your local community college and take some basic accounting, business law and marketing classes. Educate yourself to succeed.
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; May 13th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast