Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default my 1911 is ammo picky

K this is my problem. My springfield loaded champion will not feed hollow points. Mind you the brand i tried were cheap, (winchester PDx1) but will i have the problem with all hollows points??? I did buy two aftermarket mags buy promag that work great (excellent fit) with range ammo. But when loaded with hollows nothing. The two mags that came with the champion also wont feed.

Now i was told before that 1911's a ammo picky.and also told to shoot powerballs by cor bon. Anyone have any feedback on this picticular round. Can anyone suggest a defense round that shoots great out of a 1911.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: my 1911 is ammo picky

how old is the recoil spring? if it's old, that might be it. it's a newer 1911, it shouldn't be picky, i think. my Taurus eats up everything. did you try buffing the feed ramp? there are dozens of tricks, most of which i don't know.

jahwaitingforlycanthropetochimeinwarrior72

Try different JHPs. My Kimber doesn't like Hydra-shoks. Jams every two or three rounds with them. It feeds Golden-Sabres like a champ though.

Buy as many brands as you can and experiment with them. Feed full magazines, see how they function. Feed partial magazines, see how they function. Limp-wrist it on purpose, see what happens. Shoot it while holding the gun at the wrong angle, see what happens.

Figure out which brand is the most reliable and use that for your carry/home-defense ammo. You should eventually find one that feeds nearly flawlessly. If you don't then send the gun in for adjustment.

(Northampton County)

The 1911 is only 3 weeks old i bought it brand new. I took it to the range and put 350 flawless rounds down the pipe. Not a hiccup. But as soon a i tried to chamber a jhp round, it got stuck on the feed ramp. The feed ramp is polished And the recoil rod is fine. I guess ima have to buy a lot of JHp's and see which ones feed and which dont. Anyone got info on these cor bon power balls

(Philadelphia County)

I would recommend looking at the slide grooves and rails on the frame REAL close like.
    Polishing them up with some crocus cloth may yield some good results.
    Sometimes a new gun will gall in the slide grooves.
    Peter

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Dreggie View Post
    The 1911 is only 3 weeks old i bought it brand new. I took it to the range and put 350 flawless rounds down the pipe. Not a hiccup. But as soon a i tried to chamber a jhp round, it got stuck on the feed ramp. The feed ramp is polished And the recoil rod is fine. I guess ima have to buy a lot of JHp's and see which ones feed and which dont. Anyone got info on these cor bon power balls
    Simple solution. Disassemble the pistol, get a sheet of crocus cloth, the fine stuff. wrap a strip of it around a pencil until it is a wad about as thick as a 45 cartridge. Drop a few drops of oil (Hoppes, G-96, heck even 3-in-1 will do) on the wad and polish the feed ramp in a up-and-down motion, in the direction the cartridge goes when it is going into the chamber, until the feed ramp has a light shine to it. It probably won't take you more than a few minutes. Then, put the wad into the chamber, and polish the feed-ramp edge there a bit, and clean well, reassemble and try it.

Don't be tempted to do the Dremel routine, because that is ROTARY, and is working in the wrong direction.

You are not trying to RESHAPE anything, just to polish off any minute burrs that may be left as residue of the machining of the frame and barrel.

Simple, easy, quick, minimum effort, and cheap investment. Payoff may well be everything you are looking for.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Northampton County)

where can i get crocus cloth????

(Philadelphia County)

Mind you the brand i tried were cheap, (winchester PDx1)
    The PDX1 are the newest, most advanced, JHP pistol ammo Winchester makes. Winchester is one of the best ammo makers in the world. The brand you tried are not "cheap". Niether in build quality nor price.

Now i was told before that 1911's a ammo picky.and also told to shoot powerballs by cor bon.
    1911's can be ammo picky. One of a few reasons I do not like them for self defense. Try other brands untill you find something that works. Try polishing the feed ramp more.

Or buy a glock and be done with it. . .
    Last edited by biggs88; February 20th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    The PDX1 are the newest, most advanced, JHP pistol ammo Winchester makes. Winchester is one of the best ammo makers in the world. The brand you tried are not "cheap". Niether in build quality nor price.

Or buy a glock and be done with it. . .

Well i say their cheap Because i got them at wally world for 20 bucks. But i have to say, i saw them at dicks for 31.00. You should do commericals for winchester, You sound so convincing

(Philadelphia County)

Well i say their cheap Because i got them at wally world for 20 bucks. But i have to say, i saw them at dicks for 31.00. You should do commericals for winchester, You sound so convincing

I would, but they aint hiring unless you got a masters in marketing and prior work experience. . . Damn hippies. . .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast