Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default First Gun - newbie

I am in the process of purchasing my first gun and have a few questions. I am looking for a medium sized revolver, .357, most likely a smith & wesson as these seem to have best reviews online.

Is this a good first gun?
    Are there other brands that are just as good?

I am looking for a used one as my budget is 300-400, maybe a little more. I have looked at a few places in my area, and checked out the centre county thread. I am also going to the harrisburg show next weekend. Is this the right price range for what I am looking for? I am not really sure how much a used one should be. Should I be considering anything else, maybe even other brands? I am mainly looking for a gun for home protection and dont want something big like a shotgun.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: First Gun - newbie

Welcome to the PAFOA! Glad to have you aboard!

The .357 is a decent caliber for home defense...S&W revolvers are certainly reliable. With your budget, you may want to check out Taurus Firearms. They make good guns at affordable prices...plus they all have lifetime warranties. I own a Raging Bull .44 mag and I absolutely love it.

Keep us posted on what you decide!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rspowers View Post
    I am looking for a used one as my budget is 300-400, maybe a little more.
    I won't get into the gun selection. All I'll say is: DON'T equate the cost of the gun with your entry costs.

You need a gun.

You also need: range fees; ammo for practice; self defense ammo; training; down the road a holster. All that costs money -- that's what a gun costs.

(Centre County)

For the 300-400 range you can get a new Taurus and for just a little more you can get a Ruger GP100, one if not the strongest 357's made. A smith is good but the newer models aren't as good as they once use to be. If you can find a 10-12 year old S&W 686 at a good price that is a nice revolver, but it is used.

If you are looking at used handguns there are many things to be aware of before buying. There are guides (probably on line also) that you can study that will tell you what to look for and warning signs of abuse of a handgun.

Also, check out the classifieds on the forum (even the old ones) you might find something sold by a member here. I don't recall many people complaining about any gun thay have bought from a fellow forum member.

Oh, did I mention that the Ruger GP100 (any model, any year) are one of the strongest 357's around. I'm not a Ruger fan or anything (I own 3 GP100's and a number of other Ruger products).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Good call...I forgot about the GP100! Nice guns...

I know you are not interested in a shotgun, but there are plenty of options out there for well within your budget. I believe the minimum length you can have is 18 1/2" barrels! Not really a big weapon and much more lethal in home defense roles! (Plus you don;t have to worry about wall penetration as much as a .357) but in the end, it is your personal choice...

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Welcome to the PAFOA! Glad to have you aboard!

The .357 is a decent caliber for home defense...S&W revolvers are certainly reliable. With your budget, you may want to check out Taurus Firearms. They make good guns at affordable prices...plus they all have lifetime warranties. I own a Raging Bull .44 mag and I absolutely love it.

Keep us posted on what you decide!
    Rocketfoot, do you think he should come to the shoot? Its a great way to try everything, then make a decision.
    And Bellefonte is only about 1 hour away from the shoot!
    I have a Taurus .38spcl. Nice little gun!

RSPOWERS
    WELCOME, WELCOME. I am fairly new here myself and new to being a gun owner! Your gonna LOVE IT HERE!! GREAT PEOPLE!!

(Centre County)

Thanks for the responses. The guy at J+E can get me a deal on a new Taurus but I just wasnt really too sure of the brand. I have read mixed reviews online, but mostly were pretty good. I am sure they all have their pluses and drawbacks. I may go the Taurus route. I do like the lifetime warranty.

As for additional costs, I have access to a range, and I have $$ for a ammo and I plan to get a good gun case. I have planned for them in my budget.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Rocketfoot, do you think he should come to the shoot? Its a great way to try everything, then make a decision.
    And Bellefonte is only about 1 hour away from the shoot!
    I have a Taurus .38spcl. Nice little gun!

RSPOWERS
    WELCOME, WELCOME. I am fairly new here myself and new to being a gun owner! Your gonna LOVE IT HERE!! GREAT PEOPLE!!
    Certainly! If you can make it to the Pittsburgh Group Shoot coming up Sept. 9th...you can have a chance to try alot of different guns! It is also great fun!

Check the link in my sig if you are interested...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rspowers View Post
    As for additional costs, I have access to a range, and I have $$ for a ammo and I plan to get a good gun case. I have planned for them in my budget.
    Don't forget training.

For your stated price range, you should have no problem getting a good .357Mag, probably lightly used.

The shoot will be a great place to shop. Try everything! Everyone is so great and everyone shares! Its the best place to accumulate knowledge from the best gunowners on earth, no bs.
    If it was not for this forum and the wonderful people on it, my .38 would still be in the box just collecting dust!
    COME TO THE SHOOT!
    HAVE FUN!
    SHOOT EVERYTHING!
    GAIN KNOWLEDGE!
    I started with a .38spcl, then ran out and bought a .9mm after shooting it at the shoot THANKS CHAZMAN for making me a .9mm lover. Uh oh, that doesn't sound right

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast