Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Best 9mm defensive round.

Does anyone mix in some FMJ's with their HP's for a defensive pistol?
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Does anyone mix in some FMJ's with their HP's for a defensive pistol?
    I know some people do with some of the smaller calibers (.380, .32, etc.), but I personally do not with 9mm.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Northumberland County)

After doing various tests with couple different JHP's, i found Hornady to be the best in overall penetration and expansion. I carry Critical Defense in my SR9.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    What are your opinions on the best ammo to use in the 9mm. I was looking at the PowerBall in 9mm. The guy selling them to me was saying that they won't clog full of clothing like most JHP's when they come into contact with a heay jacket. I've always been a hydra shok kinda guy, but maybe I'm missing something, who knows.

So what do you reccomend.

The one that will stop a BG,

Seriously though, you cant go wrong with the Hornady Critical Defense, The Rem Golden Sabres, Double Tap, Powerball, even the Federal HST would be my #1 recommendation.

(Erie County)

Best? I dunno but I've carried 124 +P Gold Dots for years now. Popular with LE agencies and accurate and reliable in my G19 and one of the easier loads to find.

(Allegheny County)

I've been doing a TON of reading and watching on 9mm defense ammo and it really comes down to a few great options, and many good ones.

Winchester Ranger T
    Federal HST
    Speer Gold Dot
    Remington Golden Saber
    Hornady FTX / Critical Defense

In no particular order except for maybe teh Winchester Ranger T's and the HST's. Those expand the biggest and nastiest. However the Gold Dot's are so widely used and trusted they can be mentioned in the same breath. The Golden Sabers don't really stay together that well, or open into any kind of nifty pattern. And the Hornady is too new and not as widely accepted or used by LE etc to be touted as the first 3 mentioned.

These are however, some of the better performing rounds. There are others... and plenty of obscure and under performing ones as well. But these should get anyone started. Initially it was thought the heavy rounds were better. So they kept pushing heavier and faster 9mm 124gr, 147gr etc. But the 115gr +p+ typically transmits the most energy. However... in short barreled weapons, it has been noted the heavier rounds lose less velocity. And that some of the +P rounds don't really improve velocity enough in the short barreled weapons to justify the increase in muzzle blast and recoil.

In a longer barrel most people are getting back to the 124gr range +P. Ensuring good weight, with adequate velocity for expansion. Bullet weight and +P or not needs to be matched to your weapon. What it shoots the best and barrel length being the biggest factors.

Believe it or not there are a ton of generic expansion tests on this ammo on youtube. Some are not lab level, but many test dozens of kinds of ammunition the same way which still gives you an idea of how the ammo compares to each other in some respect. Try plunking a particular kind of ammunition and weight into youtube and you'll usually get a few tests to pick from.

Here I'll find some to get everyone started.

Winchester Ranger T 124gr +P

Hornady Critical Defense / FTX 115gr

Remington Golden Saber 124gr

You should be able to look in the related videos from there and find anything else you want.

(Armstrong County)

If you dont mind shelling out some cash, Cor Bon +P ammuniton is NASTY. I have some for the 45 and the 9mm. I tried it out on pumpkins, devastating. Its pretty hard to find but its all I use for SD.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/Self-Defen...20/100/Product
    Last edited by KAL101; February 20th, 2010 at 01:21 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I use hornady critical defense, they are designed to go through heavy clothes and guarantee expansion.
    That is funny, because what are they guaranteeing and how will it help you if you're dead?

I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p. It comes out of the muzzle at 1220 fps with 410 ft lbs of energy. Now that is about as hot and serious of a factory SD round you can buy in 9mm as a civilian. It's probably in the top 3 most popular LE service rounds and look up the ballistic tests, they will amaze you.

ETA: I'm hoping to find some at the gun show tommorow actually. They often sell them in the 50 round "law enforcement" boxes for about $25, which is the same price you would pay for a 20 round box at the gun shop.
    Last edited by jcabin; February 20th, 2010 at 01:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    What are your opinions on the best ammo to use in the 9mm. I was looking at the PowerBall in 9mm. The guy selling them to me was saying that they won't clog full of clothing like most JHP's when they come into contact with a heay jacket. I've always been a hydra shok kinda guy, but maybe I'm missing something, who knows.

So what do you reccomend.
    I've read the same thing about .380 in researching SD rounds for mine.
    & .380 is the same diameter as the 9mm, so it makes sense they'd perform pretty much the same way.
    I'd love to see some testing done with heavy coats over flesh or balistic gelatin.

Who's got an old coat, a dead pig & a video camera? Time for the first episode of PAFOA Mythbusters!
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    I've read the same thing about .380 in researching SD rounds for mine.
    & .380 is the same diameter as the 9mm, so it makes sense they'd perform pretty much the same way.
    I'd love to see some testing done with heavy coats over flesh or balistic gelatin.

Who's got an old coat, a dead pig & a video camera? Time for the first episode of PAFOA Mythbusters!
    Modern 9mm JHPs and .380acp aren't even comparable. Totally different ballistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast