Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default bullet selection

I was wondering what the best bullets in 25-06 to load for deer and wood chucks. I have both long shot and close shots for deer and woodchuck around tioga and potter county, pa some suggested that the 90 grain hp are to light for deer. Other say 100 grain are best but I don't like soft points in smaller than 30 caliber.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: bullet selection

If that is the Sierra 90 gr HP, they list it as a Gameking which makes it a deer bullet not varmint. I myself would prefer something a bit heavier. If you don't like softpoints, then check out the Nosler Partition and Accubond, Hornady InterBOND (not interLOCK) or one of the monolithic bullets like a Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX.

For groundhogs, Hornady makes the 75 gr V-max. There are other choices if your gun doesn't like them.

FWIW, I've run Hornady 100 gr. Interlocks (softpoint) in both the 243 and 6mm for years and have never had a problem.

Dale

(Schuylkill County)

I went to the 115gr Berger's and havent looked back, they are great on deer and do a goo job on Groundhogs as well.

If you dont like the softpoints in anything smaller then .30 caliber, then you may want to try the 100gr Nosler BallisticTips, they will open very good on deer barring you dont hit to much bone, and will do a fine job on G-Hogs also.

Hornady A-Max's will work also, there are a plethora of options, but I really like the Bergers.

(Tioga County)

I tried the hornady 75 gain hollow points with 44.7 g Rl15 and it will put 3 bullets under a dime at 100 yards. I have to try the 100 grain hornady bullets in this old remmy. I know it won't shoot any loads with powder charge above 50 grains. It really opens the groups up. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Have you looked at any Barnes bullets?

(Somerset County)

Have you tried any other powders? My Hornady manual shows 44.7 of Rl 15 as a starting load at about 3200fps. Reloder 15 seems a bit fast for the 25-06. While you've got great accuracy, you should be able to find a load with more velocity which will help on the long shots.

I'd try Reloder 17 or one of the 4350's. IMR 4350 has worked well in my 270 Win, there's not much difference between the 25-06 and 270 Win.

Dale

(Butler County)

I load a 117 grain Hornady boat tail for deer in 25/06 have had great results

I use Nosler Partitions for all my deer guns. For chucks you'll want a thin jacketed varmint specific bullet because you don't want the bullet passing thru the chuck & traveling a mile or so. Something like a light Hornady V-max, Nosler BT, Sierra Varminteer, etc.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I am a big fan of Hornady products. It's all I shoot out of my rifles. The Amax will take down deer without any issue. Amax are "match" bullets, but plenty of friends have taken PA whitetail when using them. A 90gr bullet is plenty to take down a deer...deer are thin skinned animals.

There are so many good bullet choices offered...pick which one your wallet likes and go from there.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: scope selection

I been looking for a new scope for hunting rifle. I like my scopes to set low to the gun for it is easier to get align with the target being a lefty on a right handed bolt. I myself like 6 - 24 power but I 'm not sure on the 40mm or 50 mm tubes. I like the light gathering of the 50mm but I can't get them low enough to get completely comfortable on it an the 40mm I can't get enough light on dreary weather. Does anyone have any solutions it would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast