Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need a Friendly Indoor Range

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    So , I figured I would start off with pistols then work up to the evil rifles at an outdoor range.

I actually help teach a lot of new shooters some safety and help them get into the sport. I truly believe that it's best to start with long guns. But, I digress...

A&S in Youngwood is okay, imo. I've been there a few times. It's usually pretty empty. My folks live near there, and there's so much open land that people don't do a lot of in-door shooting.

I also had a "stuffy" experience at the Anthony Arms range about 3 years ago. I didn't go back for a while even to shop. Well, the other day I'm working downtown and my buddy says that a girl I've been seeing that he works with mentioned to him that I'd said I would take her shooting. So... I was bored and wanted to leave work, so I called her. Naturally she accepted the invitation to shoot because it was a spontaneous invitation from a cavalier, cunning, witty, gorgeous and intelligent man (that's me ). So we went to Anthony Arms.

I was prepared for more of that 'stuffy' rudeness, but I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone was in a great mood, the other people on the range were polite and safe - it was just a good time. The girl enjoyed it too. She's a little bit younger than I am - in her mid twenties. But, it was a neat "day date". I guess my opinion of Anthony Arms has changed.

Later we went to Nakama and back to her apartment downtown. At both places she even commented that Anthony Arms' people seemed really helpful. I will let you know if my experience differs the next time I go there without a set of tits though... lol
    F*S=k

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    I actually help teach a lot of new shooters some safety and help them get into the sport. I truly believe that it's best to start with long guns. But, I digress...

A&S in Youngwood is okay, imo. I've been there a few times. It's usually pretty empty. My folks live near there, and there's so much open land that people don't do a lot of in-door shooting.

I also had a "stuffy" experience at the Anthony Arms range about 3 years ago. I didn't go back for a while even to shop. Well, the other day I'm working downtown and my buddy says that a girl I've been seeing that he works with mentioned to him that I'd said I would take her shooting. So... I was bored and wanted to leave work, so I called her. Naturally she accepted the invitation to shoot because it was a spontaneous invitation from a cavalier, cunning, witty, gorgeous and intelligent man (that's me ). So we went to Anthony Arms.

I was prepared for more of that 'stuffy' rudeness, but I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone was in a great mood, the other people on the range were polite and safe - it was just a good time. The girl enjoyed it too. She's a little bit younger than I am - in her mid twenties. But, it was a neat "day date". I guess my opinion of Anthony Arms has changed.

Later we went to Nakama and back to her apartment downtown. At both places she even commented that Anthony Arms' people seemed really helpful. I will let you know if my experience differs the next time I go there without a set of tits though... lol

Thanks for the reply and info.

Yes, I agree about the rifles part.
    Be he said he would be more comfortable starting with pistols.

So, since its his first time Im not going to squabble about it.
    He can hardly wrap his head around that I Open Carry everywhere we go.

He said that in the UK its illegal to even have a "lockable folding" pocket knife on your person.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

+1 A&S, and their prices, and their people. I purchased a Mark III .22 there.

+1 beginners on rifles. Muzzle discipline is lost much faster on pistols with beginners. Recoil is more manageable on long guns making the experience more fun.

(Allegheny County)

I have been a A+S and like almost everyone has said, all of the employees (both at the range and store) were extremely helpful and even two customers that happened to be talking in the store area were really helpful.

Either way, I would like to shoot a P226 and a P229. The only range that has them for rent is Anthony Arms, so it looks like I'll be going on there at least once. I've read a bunch of bad reviews of them, some as recent as March 7th of this year (http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/pro...cessories.html) but ScaredOnce's recent review contradicts it. I hope it stays that way.

+1 more for A&S. Firearms and ammo purchases there from knowledgeable and very helpful folks; never been treated badly.

Take care
    Dave

(Allegheny County)

A&S is great. They have some first time classes for free. Check with the staff for the schedule if your friend hasn't crossed the pond this trip. There are a lot of knowledgable staff and there is an instructor who helps out if you go there enough. He was a Marine shooting instructor after Vietnam. It can be packed, I haven't been there when there is no one around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12