Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Gun Show discount?

New to the site and gun ownership. I am looking to buy a Kel Tec 3AT or P11 (or some other small "carry" gun) and wonder if it might be better to wait for a local gun show. Do dealers typically offer a discount at shows and if so, is the discount enough to wait for the show to purchase? Thanks in advance.

Frank H.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Gun Show discount?

Quote Originally Posted by impulseIII View Post
    New to the site and gun ownership. I am looking to buy a Kel Tec 3AT or P11 (or some other small "carry" gun) and wonder if it might be better to wait for a local gun show. Do dealers typically offer a discount at shows and if so, is the discount enough to wait for the show to purchase? Thanks in advance.
    Some dealers will discount and hold sales. Others will go the other way and try for top dollar. Make sure you do your price homework before setting foot at a show.

(Westmoreland County)

Make sure you do your price homework before setting foot at a show.
    Yes...know what you want before you goto a show, and shop around...don't just buy the first one you see! When you see all the guns laying on the tables...your wallet starts sending signals to you brain that bypass rational thinking!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(York County)

Although I enjoy walking around the shows...I've seen very few deals...at least from FFL Dealers.
    Occasionally you'll see some nice ammo deals on bulk stuff.
    This has been the Harrisburg show, BTW.

As the others wrote...know what the gun sells for (not MSRP!) before you plunk your money down!

(Jefferson County)

Just from what I've experienced - but "gunshow discount" is an oxymoron.. sorta like plastic glasses..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

My experience also, It seems that many (not all though) will try to get top dollar and when they see that the buyer is not stupid about gun prices then they will deal. Also go on the last day as many don't want to pack everything back up and would like to make at least a little. If you have a good idea what the gun you want to buy sells for on the open market, don't just laugh at the guy and call him an idiot for trying to sell at that price. Someone will pay that price. Approach and deal with a little tact. Once he knows that you know how much the average gun store is selling them for then the dealing begins. He may go a little high but may throw in some ammo or a cleaning kit or a holster, or who knows what. In that case you need to know average prices of ammo, holsters, etc.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Search it here and get an idea of what it sells for:

Buds Gun Shop

They typically sell retail for less than my dealer cost from a distributer.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Search it here and get an idea of what it sells for:

Buds Gun Shop

They typically sell retail for less than my dealer cost from a distributer.
    Great advice but also keep in mind that when purchasing a handgun online you will probably need to pay shipping. Then your FFL will probably charge you for processing the transaction for you because this will take some of his time so he will need to make a few dollars -- possibly $20 to $45.

IMO the best advice was already given -- It is best to be an informed buyer when shopping at a gun show. Also, sometimes it can be possible to make a deal because what you are in the market for is a handgun that many dealers at the show will have in their inventory so one of them may want to deal a little. You obviously can check out all of the dealer and find the best price for the Kel-Tec.

Nice little pocket pistol by the way. I have one and my son carries one as his BUG when on duty. Both of ours have been 100% reliable but I have heard of a few people that have experienced reliability issues. Kel-Tec stands behind their products so if you do have issues just give them a call. I would you to put a few boxes of ammo through any automatic before you were to carry it.

Good luck and have fun in you search.

(Pike County)

Howdy, and welcome. The Kel-tec P3AT is a great little gun in my oppionion, have one-love it. Show prices are all over the place, so beware, there are good and bad deals. When I sell at shows (knives, not guns) I try to keep my prices as low as possible, because I have to compete with other sellers. It's a hobby for me, not a living.

(Berks County)

The key to buying at a Gun Show is research!...Know what you want and what the going prices are.

I have NEVER paid the sticker price on a gun at a show.

Here is what I do....

1. Cash is king.

2. Make an offer, if a table is crowded, I will try to get 1 on 1 with the dealer off to the side.

3. If possible I try to go on Sundays in the early afternoon, so I still have time to see everything and I bring a notebook/paper and make notes of who, where and what I see and what I may come back to.

4. Don't be an asshole...I have to work hard at this...I am a born and bred asshole.

If they aren't willing to haggle...oh well...all they can say is NO and you part ways, but I have gotten some pretty fair deals in the past myself.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast