Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default More thoughts on weapon retention

Believe it or not very few people have ever been punched right in the face. If I want to take a gun I am not going to go up and grab it, I am going to walk up and punch the person in the face. About 90% of the people who are not knocked out will automatically bring their hands up to their face and crouch down. For the other 10% as their hands come up to their face will remember that they are wearing a pistol and need to protect it. This goes for those in law enforcement and civilians.

See my post about dealing with the roundhouse first. This past week while training police in Alabama we put on boxing gloves and headgear. Some of them had never been punched in the head before, none had been hit at the angle and location I hit them out. Even with hitting them at about 20% power we had a short KO and some buckled knees. If you are carrying a gun you need to know what he feels like to have your bell rung so you can justify to a court why you shot and unarmed man who was only punching you in the face. Often we hear about officers being capped in the head after the initial altercation when the they can no longer defend themselves and the bad guy just takes his gun out of his holster and finishes them.

This training cannot be had on internet forums, by watching DVDs, or shooting millions of rounds down range. It takes time, dedication and lots of aspirin. And guess what, even when you do it well it will still look like **** because reality always does.- George

(Fayette County)

Default Re: More thoughts on weapon retention

I agree 100%.
    I was just talking about this with my roommate today.

He is thinking about getting a firearm for SHTF purposes and has never owned one before.

I told him how most Americans are completely soft.

He asked what I meant.

Since he's a yuppie college kid going to Carnegie Melon University I asked him "Have you or ANY of your friends ever been in a real fist fight?"

He said no.

I then told him then how would he expect to fare against hungry, angry desperate people.

Personally, if Im carrying a firearm and a person is trying to fist fight with me, Im going to not take it to a higher level. I think if you got into court and shot an unarmed person, you would be in DEEP trouble.

Im not condoning going out and starting a fight with some stranger. But going to a boxing gym once or twice and learning a few pointers wouldn't hurt.

I remember when I was younger and first got clocked in the head it was a real shock. Then after that, you knew what to expect and how to handle yourself.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: More thoughts on weapon retention

well, i guess i'm good then. i've been hit in the face enough to know what to expect, and to know when to get the hell out of the way.