Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Does small magazine capacity defeat the purpose of carrying a pistol?

I carry a Walther PPS in .40. I consider it to be a high end and very reliable pistol. It also has a slim profile, hence the monicer Police Pistol Slim. Mine is accurate and fun to shoot and, so far, reliable.

But, and I knew this before I bought it, the magazine capacity is somewhat limited. Magazines can be purchased for the .40 that hold 5, 6, or 7 rounds. I think for the 9mm PPS it is one additional round per magazine. (I am not sure)

So, do you think it defeats the intended benefit of what pistols were designed to do to use such small magazines? I know that the PPS is designed for ease of carry and concealment in mind. That it does well. It is just that sometimes I wonder if having more rounds, say 9-15, that can come in rapid succession is more of an optimal use of the auto loading design?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Does small magazine capacity defeat the purpose of carrying a pistol?

i don't think it defeats the purpose at all.

higher capacity pistols do offer a benefit the lower capacity pistols do not, but usually with some trade-off.

(personally i carry a glock 17...which holds 18 rounds...but i certainly do not view lower capacity guns as at all worthless.)
    F*S=k

Default Re: Does small magazine capacity defeat the purpose of carrying a pistol?

I assume you've read the sticky?
    Looking to start homebrewing? Read my primers here and here

i switched from a g-19 to a colt officers mod
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

I do believe that a few extra rounds are a good thing, however how many people out there carry a five or six shot revolver? Carry one or two extra clips put in training and practice reloading and you'll be fine......or buy a glock 18
    The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun-R. Buckminster Fuller

(Centre County)

In my mind, the smaller mag capacity stresses shot placement (which is paramount anyway). You could never have a revolver as slim as a PPS with 5, 6, or 7 shots. Besides, you stated its accurate, fun, and reliable....sounds like the perfect pistol for you. A second mag somewhere on you may help alleviate capacity issues.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Chester County)

Just carry two... problem solved
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Washington County)

Carry what you can, when you can. 5 shots is better than none, and more than that is always better.

IIRC, you can get an extended mag floor plate that will allow you to carry 8+1 for the PPS.

(Philadelphia County)

Typical revolvers have a 6 round capacity. They have been around for hundreds of years and continue to be. No, not at all.

Al

(Luzerne County)

In a PPS, you are giving up the advantage of superior magazine capacity, but you are giving that advantage up for another one in return: the slimness. If the magazine capacity increased, say by double stacking the magazine, it would no longer be slim. If you kept the same number of rounds, but instead chose a revolver platform, you would again loose the slimness due to the cylinder.

The “purpose” of a pistol as compared to a revolver is not for increased magazine capacity; it is to increase the speed of reloading by using detachable magazines. The increased magazine capacity is only an advantage inherent to pistols if you choose to accept the increased size necessary for that advantage.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast