Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default keep a gun in your car?

Does anyone keep a gun in your car all the time?

I bought a secure-it car safe and I was thinking about leaving a gun in the cvar in the safe all the time, that way I have it if I need it.

I have my LTCF but rarely ever carry, especially since most of the time I'm just going to and from work and can't carry at work. Thought this might be a good way to be armed if I do need it.

Not sure if this is a good idea though.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: keep a gun in your car?

i personally think doing that is a (very) bad idea.

if someone steals your car, they get a nice bonus prize.

personally, the thought of some criminal out there using my gun to kill or rob people makes me cringe.

plus, i always have a gun on my person. so, if i am in my car, i have a gun in my car. you might also want to realistically consider what type of scenarios you envision where having a gun in your car, but not on your person, would really do you any good anyway. i mean, there might be some...but many people just think "oh, then there will be a gun nearby in case i need one", but that assumes plenty of warning that you are about to need a gun. is that realistic? it also seems to assume you are more likely to need a gun while in your car than when outside of your car (or that you will have time to get back to your car and retrieve it...and that simply driving away at that point would not be a better idea).

there are certainly a few scenarios where having a gun in a car, but not on your person would be useful. but i don't think too many personally.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; February 18th, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

I have never been a fan of keeping one in the car. If the car gets stollen then I have more headaches. If I have it on me all the time then I see no need to keep one in the car.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Jefferson County)

I have a cheapo Spanish made .38spl in my truck loaded with double to triple dose compressed powder charges of RedDot with a super crimped bullet. It stays in my vehicle's console at all times. I refuse to shoot the gun even with "safe" ammo because how loose it is.

...instant 'nade to the person kind enough to steal my truck. (yes, I'm twisted and sick).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I have a cheapo Spanish made .38spl in my truck loaded with double to triple dose compressed powder charges of RedDot with a super crimped bullet. It stays in my vehicle's console at all times. I refuse to shoot the gun even with "safe" ammo because how loose it is.

...instant 'nade to the person kind enough to steal my truck. (yes, I'm twisted and sick).
    BOOM
    Hahaah

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

lol. i love it.

i would, however, be a bit worried that our twisted legal system would find you civilly (and possibly criminally) liable for injuries suffered by the thief, though...just like you can't booby trap your house.

just something to think about.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

His gun isn't booby trapped, its just loaded to hit extra hard
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    lol. i love it.

i would, however, be a bit worried that our twisted legal system would find you civilly (and possibly criminally) liable for injuries suffered by the thief, though...just like you can't booby trap your house.

If a thief steals my truck and KB's that old POS revolver, and then sues me - I'll settle and offer to shake his hand. .....oh, wait, nevermind. ....his stub. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    lol. i love it.

True, they call that "wanton misconduct." You would be responsible for any injuries that resulted from that.

I think the reasoning there is that you can't control who the victim is in that situation. What if a police officer recovers your vehicle from the perp, searches it, removes the weapon and has an ND or AD and loses a hand? It's a stretch, but I think you get the idea.
    Looking to start homebrewing? Read my primers here and here

i carry on my person, and also keep one in my manbag while at work, or when ever i have my manbag with me. i dont keep it in the truck over night.(sometimes i forget)
    FJB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast