Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Glock trigger trick, anyone use this?

I was putting some rounds through my Glock 19 at the range the other day and someone came up to me and asked if I knew about the "trigger trick." I asked him to clarify, and he said after you fire the first shot, only allow the trigger to come forward enough until you feel the first click, then pull again to shoot. I tried it, and it worked. It was less travel, and less force required. It could be good for getting a few quick rounds off in a bind.

Now, I'm guessing that since Glock's internal safeties are connected to the trigger, that you're basically not engaging the second safety by not allowing the trigger to come all the way forward. Thus, bypassing one of the internal safeties makes for less travel and a lighter trigger.

Is this recommended? Does anyone ever do this on their Glocks? Can anyone think of a reason not to do this?

Thanks guys!
    Looking to start homebrewing? Read my primers here and here

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Glock trigger trick, anyone use this?

I always thought that was just proper shooting technique.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

You are not bypassing any safety. You are eliminating take up. It will work on many semi auto pistols.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

that's not specific to glocks, and it is not a "trick".

that is just knowing the trigger reset point and not letting the trigger out past it.

that is considered by most to be good technique. however, some caution that it can lead to short-stroking the trigger under stress (meaning you don't let it out far enough so that it resets before trying to press it again--which means no BANG! on the second trigger press).

some of the best shooters in the world actually slap the trigger instead, though...meaning they let the trigger go all the way forward--even breaking contact with their finger. however, i suspect most people who successfully slap triggers are running 1911s with very light triggers.

(the downside for most people of slapping the trigger is that you cause the gun to move around and the sights to come out of alignment.)
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    You are not bypassing any safety. You are eliminating take up. It will work on many semi auto pistols.
    Jules
    Can you explain further? Why is it that you're not bypassing any safeties? I thought the safeties in the Glock were set as the trigger moves forward. That's not the case?

ETA: I read the manual cover to cover, and didn't find out what exactly sets the safeties, just how they operate. Where can I find out more about the mechanics of Glocks?
    Last edited by GLK_19; February 18th, 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: additional question

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I always thought that was just proper shooting technique.
    Do you always shoot like that?

I thought it kind of went against one of the golden rules. It requires you to have your finger on the trigger constantly. Of course, if you're planning on bursting a few rounds that's fine, but sometimes I'll take my finger completely off the trigger between shots while controlling my muscle groups and breathing. Although I do that more so with my rifles, but occasionally with my handgun.

(Lawrence County)

When shooting multiple shots it's a valid technique.

On a Glock, while the trigger is staged the drop safety would be disengaged, but would reingage if you dropped it.....so it's kind of moot.

Lycanlunchtimethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GLK_19 View Post
    Can you explain further? Why is it that you're not bypassing any safeties? I thought the safeties in the Glock were set as the trigger moves forward. That's not the case?
    it is the case, they are set to "on" as the trigger moves forward and then set to "off" as the trigger moves reward.

there is, however, simply no concept of "bypassing" them in what you are talking about. they are functioning as designed.

only letting the trigger come forward to the trigger reset point, and not further, has nothing at all to do with the safeties. i mean, the safeties work the way they work, but it is of no relevance to this issue.

after all, you *never* have to manually operate a safety on a glock (separately from simply pressing the trigger, that is), so how can you possibly bypass the need to manually operate the glock safety? you cannot bypass something that is never done to begin with.

Where can I find out more about the mechanics of Glocks?
    http://www.sniperworld.com/glock

the above is a flash file that shows the workings of a glock. you can make different parts invisible, etc. so you can see inside of it. play around with it and you can really start to see how a glock works.
    F*S=k

(Lycoming County)

Always use this when making precise shots or multiple shots on the same target.

You can you the trigger reset on many different guns, the Glock's happens to be a fairly short release, unlike the Xd which (in my opinion) has quite a bit longer release.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GLK_19 View Post
    I thought it kind of went against one of the golden rules.
    if you do not intend to press the trigger, your finger should not even be inside the trigger guard at all. that is the golden rule. the golden rule is, however, not applicable when you are shooting a string of multiple shots. you are, after all, intending to press the trigger the entire time.

as lycan mentioned, this is all only applicable when you are shooting multiple shots.

It requires you to have your finger on the trigger constantly. Of course, if you're planning on bursting a few rounds that's fine, but sometimes I'll take my finger completely off the trigger between shots while controlling my muscle groups and breathing. Although I do that more so with my rifles, but occasionally with my handgun.
    that's all fine (though some would say there is no point to letting the trigger out past the reset point even in doing what you are talking about).

however, that is not applying the golden rule you were talking about. your finger is presumably still inside the trigger guard. therefore, from the standpoint of the golden rule, you finger is on the trigger...and that is OK because you do intend to press the trigger. you are presumably keeping the gun pointed downrange the entire time, right?
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast