Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Re: No One in Huntingdon County?

Bedford - Huntingdon border for me ... saxton

(Huntingdon County)

piney ridge outside of 7pts

any long range groundhog shooters near me?

send a PM too

Shenecoy rifle range SUCKS! they cater to the "paying" shotgun shooters and the hell with the rifle shooters! I quit there.

(Huntingdon County)

I am from just outside Huntingdon and am a member up at Shenecoy.

I LOVE the fact Shenecoy caters to Shotgun shooters - it means that the rifle range is open most days.
    I would say that maybe 1 in 5 times I am up there, I have the range to myself.
    I can walk up and shoot pistols, or sit at the bench and just beat on the 200 yard plate.
    The people I have met have been an interesting mix - majority are nice, a couple are slobs, and a couple are just anti-social (which is fine).

Only catch is that there are NEVER any backstops setup and if they are they are obliterated.
    I highly suggest getting a box, some targets, and duct tape. Just carry it to the range you want and take it home with you when you are done. I have been doing it since I joined up there - since I never saw a backstop setup when i started up there.
    It is the same (or was) at Alexandria when I was a member there and same at Woodcock most of the time.

(Huntingdon County)

I LOVE the fact Shenecoy caters to Shotgun shooters - it means that the rifle range is open most days.
    maybe i am looking a gift horse in the mouth and you just made me see it ?
    how true that is!

[QUOTE][/I would say that maybe 1 in 5 times I am up there, I have the range to myself.QUOTE]

I'll bet i met you one of those other times? I was there ALOT! (with 2 labs?)

[QUOTE][Only catch is that there are NEVER any backstops setup and if they are they are obliterated/QUOTE]

thats my issue! NEVER a place to even hang tgts, nothing to shoot at and you get your membership pulled if you take swinging steel tgts. I just set up a 100yd range by my house.

(Huntingdon County)

On a bright and sunny saturday recent, I think I was up there maybe 4 hours or so.
    I think only 3 other people/groups stopped to use the rifle range.
    One was a shotgun guy who wanted to test a couple handloads he worked up forn his pistol - he shot maybe 10 shots and left.
    Another was a younger guy/kid and his grandfather. Kid had gotten a 1911 and wanted to test shoot it. Setup plastic bottles on the 25 yard mound, shot at them, missed them all, left them lay there (I picked them up and threw them away) shot maybe 15 shots total.
    Finally the last group was there for a while - a grandfather, father, son shooting pistols and an m1 carbine. The son was in love with my AR, so he got to shoot it and had a great time (as did I). They were there an hour or so.
    Meanwhile there were about 2 dozen vehicles coming and going from up the road.
    Only time I have seen all the benches full and had an uncomfortable time was when I made the mistake of going to the range 2 weeks before rifle season......

Home ranges will always trump public/membership ranges :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSmith View Post
    Doesn't look like a very active thread, but I'll post anyway.

Newbie gun guy here. Moved to the country for the first time a few years back and I'm starting to get the gun bug. I was little schocked at how expensive guns are...but nothing you can do about that.

I just bought Remy 700 ADL Varmint Camo at Dick's in Altoona for $449.
    26" heavy barrel, synthetic Camo Stock & cheap arse Simmons scope.

I wanted a nice varmint gun, and debated over 223, 22-150, or 243. There are NO shortage of opinions on which caliber is best - everyone has something to say on that one. Here is my thought process.

I wanted something that I could SHOOT a LOT with spending loads of $$ on ammo and wearing out my arm. One point for the 223.
    I already have a 700 SP 30-06, so I didn't need another deer rifle - scratch the 243.
    I really looked long and hard and the 22-250. In the end, I ended up with choosing the 223. Just got it sunday and haven't sighted in the scope yet. My early opinion: me likee. That 223 is just the right caliber for rabbits, groundhogs, and anything else I can see from my deck...
    I originally went in there to buy a Savage, but the Remy's were on sale and the Savages were not.
    Excuse me most recent city refugee, but you do realize that to shoot rabbits and groundhogs you must 1) Obtain a hunting license 2) Wear the required Hunter Orange (Blaze Orange) 3) You must shoot said animals during their legal hunting season and finally 4) if you were born after 1959, you must have completed a hunter education course.

We sure wouldn't want you to be arrested for various violations and have your guns become property of the Commonwealth.

CL

(Huntingdon County)

CL lol he posted that almost 2 years ago. His guns could very likely already be property of the state :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog02 View Post
    CL lol he posted that almost 2 years ago. His guns could very likely already be property of the state :-)
    Yes, I was and am very aware of the age of the thread...LOL I've hunted in Southern Huntingdon Cty several times. Can't recall the SGL nor the private property for ducks but had a blast none the less.

Just got informed by the wife that moving to PA upon my retirement is in the cards. Looking at a farm online etc...so I wanted to see what for threads were about Huntingdon. LOL

CL

(Huntingdon County)

Thumbs up Re: No One in Huntingdon County?

I'm here, now. I can't believe I have not thought about searching for a PA forum earlier. Better late than ever I suppose. But I will most likely be visiting this forum daily now. So, hello everyone.

FYI I live in Mt. Union. Right next to the Sportsman Club/Range.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevlee View Post
    I'm here, now. I can't believe I have not thought about searching for a PA forum earlier. Better late than ever I suppose. But I will most likely be visiting this forum daily now. So, hello everyone.

FYI I live in Mt. Union. Right next to the Sportsman Club/Range.
    Hey Trev

Welcome to the site, Its a great place to read up on things and meet a few people. This site covers it all ...

Welcome

Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast