Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default PMC Eldorado Starfire .40 SW ( ? )

OK so I happened to find my self what seems like one hell of a deal but would like to hear what the people think before I jump on it..

A friends father was cleaning out one of his many gun safe's and came across 24 box's of 20 count PMC Eldorado StarFire .40 SW 180 grain jacketed HP, And offered to sell me the whole lot for $240.00 ($10.00 a box). All the box's are marked made in the USA, Eldorado Cartridge Corporation Boulder City NV 89005. And they all are the nickle casings not brass so I know there not the new Korea made bullets with I hear are total crap.

That being said I can't seem to find any info on the Eldorado made one's, I'm guessing maybe the Korean company bought out Eldorado at some point, And if thats the case how long ago? How old are theses bullets? They look like a rather nasty Defence round but I would like to know some ballistics on the bullet. Like how they stack up to other defence rounds ?

I was thinking of useing a bunch for practice and keeping a few loaded mag's for daily carry but would I be better off going with 135-155 grain jacketed hollowpoint for daily carry? I hear the smaller gran 40sw provides more stoping power..

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy them no matter what can't really beat that price But I like to do my home work before dropping $240.00

Any and all Advice would be most helpful,
    Thanx

(York County)

Default Re: PMC Eldorado Starfire .40 SW ( ? )

That is a good buy, I have shot alot of the Starfire ammo in different calibers and it has worked flawlessly. It was PMC's answer to Winchester Black Talon.

If it were me, I would not hesitate grabbing the whole batch.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Grab 'em and keep 'em. They're as good as anything you can find. Anything more "modern" is only a MARGINAL improvement over what you got there.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

I know that PMC still makes the Starfire in the Gold line. I have always heard very good things about the Starfire Ammo. The Starfire (meaning the bullet itself) was designed by the same guy who designed the Hydra-shok and then designed the HST bullets.

Also Eldorado is still around and is either part of or owns PMC. I am pretty sure that both of them are and always have been associated with another Korean company, as PMC starting business importing Surplus Korean military ammo.
    No man’s life, liberty, or properties are safe while the legislature is in session.

(Luzerne County)

Thanx for the reply's. I picked them up and shoot up 60 of them not one problem. (( On soda can's and what not)) And they sure rip things up. Also shoot some milk jugs. I only had 3 milk jug's filled with water in a line and could not find the bullet (went all the way thou), But I'm guessing by the exit hole's it expanded as expected. Going to get a stock pile of phone books and water jugs and see if I can get some pic's to post.