Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Virginia Gun owners at council meeting (Open Carry issue)

Interesting article on someone wrongfully arrested at an event, he was legally open carrying.....mirrors some of out debates here about open carry.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...335&ran=238394
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Default Re: Virginia Gun owners at council meeting (Open Carry issue)

Yet another case of a Town Council and a Police Department who believe they ARE the law instead of being agents OF the law. It really would be nice if more police and municipal governments understood the laws they were supposed to be enforcing instead of making it up as they go.

God Bless Philip van Cleave and the VCDL; I wish we had an organization with that much influence in PA.

Another point the article didn't mention: did the town repeal the illegal ordinance?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

The VCDL is what will keep VA a pro gun state. I love PA and we are one of the best pro gun states in the USA but Philly is going to be a thorn in our side if we dont address the crime problem/liberal mentality that the city spawns.

(Montgomery County)

I take exception to the constant use of name calling of the police. I'm all for calling a spade a spade, but name calling only increases acrimony and takes away from the intellectual strength of ones argument.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jelanen View Post
    I take exception to the constant use of name calling of the police. I'm all for calling a spade a spade, but name calling only increases acrimony and takes away from the intellectual strength of ones argument.
    First, no one who posted in this thread denigrated the police, they (and me) simply called them police. That's not name-calling, it's identifying, it's stating fact.

Second, in this case certain members of the Norfolk Police department wrongfully arrested someone. No one here is calling the police names or insults, but if you, the Norfolk PD, or any other PD doesn't want the police to be called names, then the best way to prevent that is to not give people a reason. When someone commits a crime they didn't realize was a crime, the entire system tells them "ignorance of the law is not an excuse"; it's everyone's responsibility to know the law. The same can be said for the police; just because they didn't know the law doesn't give them the right to arrest the man in question anyway.

I understand that there's lots of good cops out there, doing the right thing every day. But when a man is wrongfully arrested, what are we as observers supposed to say? Good Job? Again, there was no name-calling here, but we have every right to criticize their actions.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; August 30th, 2007 at 11:10 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

Oh, no, I never meant that...I watched the video of the meeting and a couple of the speakers used the 'thug' term. Thats what I was referring to. Forgive the lack of clarity of my previous post, it wasn't intended as anything but a commentary on the video posted. Of course we should criticize their actions and even punish them if need be, but never has inflammatory name calling ever helped a situation.
    Last edited by Jelanen; August 30th, 2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling errors

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    God Bless Philip van Cleave and the VCDL; I wish we had an organization with that much influence in PA.
    Yep!

Also, there is a NEW organization in PA. It is intended to serve the same purpose and is modeled after the VA version.
    It is called Pennsylvania Citizens Defense League
    www.penncdl.org

It can be what VCDL is to VA but that will depend on all of YOU.
    So I invite you all to join up, get the ball rolling. Have to start somewhere!
    After all, all it is but a network of people with a common goal. The more people sign up the more good can be done.

(Luzerne County)

The below links contain discussion of the event by the people involved (VCDL)
    In which there is also an audio recording of the meeting.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/4470-1.html
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3757.html

For those interested in only the audio recording here is the post and link:

Audio of the meeting here. Danbus is first, then, if you want to just hear VCDL folks, fast forward to about the middle. However, the other folks that spoke following danbus were mostly speaking about police harrassment as well.

http://www.vcdl.org/Norfolk/NorfolkC...ncil082907.mp3
    It's worth a listen.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    The below links contain discussion of the event by the people involved (VCDL)
    In which there is also an audio recording of the meeting.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/4470-1.html
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3757.html

For those interested in only the audio recording here is the post and link:

It's worth a listen.
    PA-Patriot,

Your handle sounds familiar. Are you Rich, owner of Front Line Armory by any chance?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Yep!

Also, there is a NEW organization in PA. It is intended to serve the same purpose and is modeled after the VA version.
    It is called Pennsylvania Citizens Defense League
    www.penncdl.org

It can be what VCDL is to VA but that will depend on all of YOU.
    So I invite you all to join up, get the ball rolling. Have to start somewhere!
    After all, all it is but a network of people with a common goal. The more people sign up the more good can be done.

Not trying to steal your thunder, but we have organization like this one already under way. It is called the PA. Firearm Owners Association or PAFOA . We just need to try and get our members to participate more outside of this web page. Imagine how much good we could do if we got outside and actually did something to benefit us.

I drove 2 hours, took 2 hours vacation, to participate in a seminar by local politicians in Pittsburgh. I was the only PAFOA attendee that made it. Not a great turn out from a bunch of guys who "value their firearms so much" Don't tell me we are all talk and no action.....

Also recommend http://www.foac-pac.org. I meet Kim at the seminar I mentioned above. He did a very good presentation. The least you can do is join, and support them financially. I did. I believe he was responsible for organizing the Harrisburgh Rally.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast