Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 15-3

(Monroe County)

Talking S&W model 15-3

I just got in a police issued S&W 15-3 revolver from JG Sales. Really nice revolver. Its my first Smith. It needs a rebluing but otherwise looks great. Pretty happy.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: S&W model 15-3

Very cool -- enjoy that K-frame; they're great guns. I've always been treated right by the folks at J&G, too. Any pix to post?

(Lackawanna County)

Welcome to the Smith & Wesson club!

Now - we want pictures and range reports!
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Berks County)

I'm on my second Model 15, a later version than yours. They are really great revolvers, the Combat Masterpiece.
    I bought it for me, but my wife shot it and I never got it back.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by spblademaker View Post
    I just got in a police issued S&W 15-3 revolver from JG Sales. Really nice revolver. Its my first Smith. It needs a rebluing but otherwise looks great. Pretty happy.
    I know this is a older thread but I did a search on those guns and this post came up..so maybe I will get a answer...I see the 15's they have left are old police tradeins and the ones left are butchered(IMO) DAO ones...they are asking $239 + 22 shipping+FFL transfer($25 around here unless someone knows anyone that does them cheaper in the Williamsport area) are these guns actually worth that...or should I just skip them and look for one locally thats not the butchered DAO(id end up down the line turning it back into the "original" DA/SA that its SUPPOSED to be.

so to me I guess what im asking are the J&G trade ins in DAO worth $290 ?? or can I get a better or just as good a deal on a similar Model 15 at a local shop(if they would ever have one which I HAVE NOT seen for less than $400)

this is the revolver BTW just as a reference.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/4122
    Last edited by CBennett; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:18 PM.

(Delaware County)

i would look around for something nicer and in better shape. sometimes you get lucky.

that being said, at $239, it might be a fun gun if you want a .38 to kick around.
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

(Cumberland County)

It is what it is. Wear happens. None of my guns are pretty. Some are black and scary, but definitely not pretty. You've actually got me thinking about it. I like .38, especially in a barrel that length. Could be a nice gun to have a round.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Susquehanna County)

Police trade-ins are usually a good bargain. Carried much and fired little since many officers only shoot when it is time for re-qualifying. So while the blue might be worn off from holster time, the gun has only had 20 or 25 years of annual 60 round qualifications fired through it.

Bobbed hammers aren't that much of a problem either. A replacement hammer assembly costs only $48.41 plus shipping and gunsmith installation.

See M15 parts list at: http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...ist_Retail.pdf

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Police trade-ins are usually a good bargain. Carried much and fired little since many officers only shoot when it is time for re-qualifying. So while the blue might be worn off from holster time, the gun has only had 20 or 25 years of annual 60 round qualifications fired through it.

Bobbed hammers aren't that much of a problem either. A replacement hammer assembly costs only $48.41 plus shipping and gunsmith installation.

See M15 parts list at: http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...ist_Retail.pdf
    They actually have the hammer(full) its just that they have been converted to DAO and dont have the single action pull the hammer back for a nice light trigger pull option anymore...and to get that switched back to DA/SA..I dont know what that would cost...I honestly dont mind that the bluing is off..that means I can get a nice shooter for a bit LESS $$$. I dont have any prefect guns..to me a gun is a tool and I use them as such...none of mine are real pretty and I dont "collect" them..the ones I have I use and they all have a purpose and I dont mind if they get a bit dinged up.

(Lycoming County)

I had gotten a hankering to get a gun similar to what we used to use on the Police Department and in the Academy when I first started back in the early 90's right before the switch over to semi autos..we used a combo(officers option) of S&W model 28's and the K frame .38 specials in the S&W Model 15...in my current job again right before the switchover to semi autos we used the Ruger Security platform in .38 special. I just had a hankering for a revolver thats not a snubby...I have a Taurus CH85 Snubby its fine...but its not what I would call a walk around in the woods gun ...so I figured a .357/.38 special in 4/5/6" version would make a real nice sentimental addition and be used as a "woods/hiking" type gun.

So lately ive been looking at and pricing S&W M15's, S&W M28's, Ruger Security Six,Colt official Police, Taurus Model 66/689/669 and the like as a cheap way to get a revolver...Its supposed to be a anniversary present and we set the limit at around $250 give or take so it has to be used...thing is ive seen each of the above listed guns sell on internet sites like here/glock talk/gunbroker for $200-275 and thats right in my price range! they may have a little wear but FUNCTIONALLY they are sound! And thats all im looking for a nice used shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast