Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default trap shooting scores

hey guys, I am thinking about entering a local competition for trap shooting. i consistently hit 23 or 24 in a game. My lowest score ever was a 19 but that was a few months ago. In a decent trap shooters opinion am I good enough to enter competition and win? Or does most people hit 25 all the time? thanks guys

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: trap shooting scores

I'm not sure exactly how the competitions are run, but in a course with 10 stations (5 clays/st), I usually average 30-40... But I'm only an amateur using a Rem 870...

I mean, you could always enter a competition for fun if it's open, nobody is stopping you... But if the score is out of 50, and you're hitting high 20's, you may want to practice some more first, unless you are just doing it for fun. But the other guys (if pro level) will probably hit 45-50 consistently.

If the score is out of 25, and you are consistently hitting 20-25... sure, give it a try. If you are hitting 23's and 24's out of 25, that's pretty darn good.

Again, I'm not sure how the competition will run, or if you meant you are hitting 23/25, or 23/50... Either way.. follow your dreams

So just be prepared.
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; February 17th, 2010 at 09:03 AM.
    III%

Most of the guys I have shot trap with in my fairly limitted experience have been hitting in the 21-24 out of 25 clays (21-24 / round). If you hit 23 or 24 consistantly, then go for it. You have as good a chance as anyone, and will improve further with that experience.

(Allegheny County)

Depends on who else is competing. I know guys who shoot 49-50's out of a round of 50 birds. You've got to know who your competition is if you want to win. The added stress of the competition will definitely affect your scores if you are not used to competing. Is the competition being held where you regularly shoot? If not, your scores will suffer on an unfamiliar range. If competition is the way you want to go, then you've got to start somewhere. BTW, there is nothing like participating (regularly) in competitions with better shooters to improve your ability.
    Last edited by Hawk; February 17th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

it's out of 25....and it is on my home range...i scouted out my competition and i think i have a VERY good chance. Trap shooting is really the only sport I take seriously. Thanks for the input guys. It's appreciated

Just be prepared for your scores to go up or down during competition. It'll play with your mind.

The guy next to you with the high-rib, single barrel gun and blinders might shoot a 15, while the guy with a camo jacket shooting an 870 will run 200 straight. You'll see all kinds.

Also, some hardcore trapshooters get angry at people who shoot too slow, too fast, say pull too loud, etc. Just ignore them and laugh when you remember you have a life outside of trap.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post
    Just be prepared for your scores to go up or down during competition. It'll play with your mind.

The guy next to you with the high-rib, single barrel gun and blinders might shoot a 15, while the guy with a camo jacket shooting an 870 will run 200 straight. You'll see all kinds.

Also, some hardcore trapshooters get angry at people who shoot too slow, too fast, say pull too loud, etc. Just ignore them and laugh when you remember you have a life outside of trap.
    Very true^
    That s the one thing I didn't like about trap, all of the uptight A-holes, they sucked the fun right out of the sport. Last year I migrated to skeet (never thought I'd give up trap), talk about a 180, the guys are all layed back, it's a very social sport. I should sell my trap gun and get a good skeet gun!
    Toujours prêt

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by c_brutsche View Post
    it's out of 25....and it is on my home range...i scouted out my competition and i think i have a VERY good chance. Trap shooting is really the only sport I take seriously. Thanks for the input guys. It's appreciated
    I would say definitely go for it then!!

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post

And remember this ^... don't let anyone else throw you off your game. Most do it for fun... But you will have your a-holes who treat it as life and will do anything to get you rattled.
    III%

If I worried that I didn't have a legit chance of winning the Bullseye league that I am in, I would be at home doing work instead of hanging out at the range shooting the shit and shooting a few rounds. Competition will help you step up to the next level. Even if you "lose", you are still having a good time. Go for it man!
    Jules

(Northampton County)

Yes I know this is a necrothread. So what. It saves bandwidth.
    Note with that out of the way...

I shot my first two rounds of trap tonight at my local club. They run it twice a week. First was with a Savage Stevens 94. Circa 1970s. Score was 15 of 25.

Second was with a new Rossi. Score was again 15.

Shells were commercial. Winchester AA handicap 2¾" 1⅛ 7½shot 3 dram in the 94.
    With the Rossi it was Federal 2¾" 1⅛ 8shot 3 dram.

Both guns are my father's and I have only put about 5 rounds through each of them in the past.

Not bad I guess as everyone else there had $1000+ guns and I think the lowest score besides mine was a 19 iirc.

I loved it. Now trap gun and a shotshell press are on my short list.

My cheap nature wishes I could find an H&R Topper Trap for sale as I can't afford a grand or more right now. CZ 712 Target looks good though.

My shoulder is not happy with those shells and the Savage has plastic furniture and no recoil pad at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast