Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Is my holster safe?

After reading all these articles about the possbibilites of gun grabbing and disarmament, im starting to worry that my holster may not be the best.

I have a Crossbreed Snapslide, as seen below, however I have it for my XDM 9mm.

Anyone have any comments if I should be ok with this holster or should I look to upgrade to another one?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Is my holster safe?

Are you worried about the lack of a retention strap?

(Berks County)

Might depend on where you wear it? If on the back as shown it would seem like it would be hard to defend against a grab, and then no retention. If its at 3 o'clock your arm most always hangs over the gun providing some sort of barrier. And if you wear at 1 o'clock your most likley to see the gun grabber and able to protect your weapon. I carry CC 95% of the time so it doesn't matter to me much. That 5% OC is with a kydex holster that has no retention straps or buttons like a serpa but I only wear it at 1 or 3.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Are you worried about the lack of a retention strap?
    Yes that, I also carry at my 3 o'clock or 2 o'clock. Usually have my over it and if a person is within a foot of behind me I rest my elbow on it. But my major concern is the lack of a retention strap.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross11988 View Post
    Yes that, I also carry at my 3 o'clock or 2 o'clock. Usually have my over it and if a person is within a foot of behind me I rest my elbow on it. But my major concern is the lack of a retention strap.
    I don't have any formal retention training, so I don't want to be handing out advice, but it sounds to me you're already halfway towards retaining your weapon by being aware of your surroundings. I carry around 2 or 3 o'clock as well, which makes it easier to retain. If your holster is hand molded and if the gun fits snugly in the holster, it makes it difficult for someone to yank it out - if you're not pulling it straight out, it shouldn't come out. I don't think retention straps are for me, but other people feel more comfortable with 'em, which is the most important thing. As long as you can draw quickly and effectively and safely, then use what you like. I just don't think a retention strap provides any considerable increased retention to a properly made holster, and consequently, only slows down a draw.

$0.02

(Dauphin County)

more than anything i would recommend a good hand gun self defense course!

training is everything !!

also perhaps a different position say 4 or 3 o clock.

also situational awareness is critical, at all times of course but even more so when you carry like that !
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Allegheny County)

I agree with H.E. Pennypacker. Sounds like you are a step ahead just by being aware.

With a good holster carrying 1-3 o'clock, seems like you would be fine without any special retention features.

However if your not comfortable without a thumb break, etc. Pick up a holster that has one. Variety in your holster options is always nice.

There are a number of reasons that I prefer conceal carry over open carry, this is one of them
    I guess I didn't realize you all had open carry in PA as well.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross11988 View Post
    But my major concern is the lack of a retention strap.
    Weapon retention is a training issue, not an equipment issue. If you don't feel comfortable without a thumb break, or other active "retention" feature, you shouldn't feel comfortable with one. A feeling of false security is no benefit.

(Westmoreland County)

Is situational awareness critical? Yes, but that's not the question being asked.

Is retention training a good idea? Certainly, but that's not the question either.

Will changing the position of the holster on your belt help? Sure, but again, not the question at hand.

Ross11988
    After reading all these articles about the possbibilites of gun grabbing and disarmament, im starting to worry that my holster may not be the best.
    ...and you would be correct. It is a nice holster, and would conceal well under a garment, but it is not the best in relation to the retention of your XDM.

It has been said that if a holster provides enough retention for you to roll around on the floor without your gun falling out, you are good to go. I, however, want more retention than that from an OWB holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast