Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default What position do you carry? Need your thoughts.

I did a search for this - but apparently I am bad at internet. This is the situation. I concealed carry a P225/P6 in a CTAC Minotaur. The issue for me is that I am pretty thin - think 6' 167lbs and have a 32-33 waist. I carry at about 4-5 o'clock on my right hip and the gun prints if I wear anything even close to tight. Also if I bend over or squat down the shirt pulls out and out pops the piece. I have a 3 year old that I have to pick up at times, so the bending and squatting thing is not out of the ordinary in my daily life.

I absolutely love the holster - it is very comfortable for all day wear and puts the gun in a great position to draw at the 4-5 o'clock position. Any thoughts on dealing with the printing issue other than wearing longer shirts and sweaters to cover the gun? Would moving the holster to a more 6 o'clock position interfere too much with my draw? I am fairly new to concealed carry - only been doing it for about a year - and I feel in some sense uncomfortable with the technical aspects of what I should or should not be doing in terms of draw and holster placement. I have done some training classes - but I am a rank beginner in this - although not necesarily with guns. Nevertheless, I am quite sure that some of you may have more expertise to contribute to this than I do.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts - thanking in advance. Cheers.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What position do you carry? Need your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    I did a search for this - but apparently I am bad at internet. This is the situation. I concealed carry a P225/P6 in a CTAC Minotaur. The issue for me is that I am pretty thin - think 6' 167lbs and have a 32-33 waist. I carry at about 4-5 o'clock on my right hip and the gun prints if I wear anything even close to tight. Also if I bend over or squat down the shirt pulls out and out pops the piece. I have a 3 year old that I have to pick up at times, so the bending and squatting thing is not out of the ordinary in my daily life.

I absolutely love the holster - it is very comfortable for all day wear and puts the gun in a great position to draw at the 4-5 o'clock position. Any thoughts on dealing with the printing issue other than wearing longer shirts and sweaters to cover the gun? Would moving the holster to a more 6 o'clock position interfere too much with my draw? I am fairly new to concealed carry - only been doing it for about a year - and I feel in some sense uncomfortable with the technical aspects of what I should or should not be doing in terms of draw and holster placement. I have done some training classes - but I am a rank beginner in this - although not necesarily with guns. Nevertheless, I am quite sure that some of you may have more expertise to contribute to this than I do.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts - thanking in advance. Cheers.
    Gain some weight? There are advantages to being fat...
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Beaver County)

3:30 Xd40 4" in a Serpa. 5'-8" 200#

(Monroe County)

12:30-1:00 position with an IWB holster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; February 16th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.

(Bucks County)

You have to "dress around" your gun. If you're concerned about printing, you need to select clothing that will minimize, or eliminate it. IMO, you should not carry a gun beyond 3:00 (for righties). That is my opinion mainly due to considerations of access, deployment, and retention, but it helps with concealment also. With some cant, this will minimize printing, and your gun will be under your arm most of time, which will aid in concealment. Anything beyond 3:00 is going to print like crazy every time you bend.

IMO, SOB (6:00) carry is a bad idea. Suppose you're jacked up against a wall, or knocked to the ground, and on your back, or seated. It's going to make it much more difficult, if not impossible, for you to access your gun.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re

I agree with unloved. Anything beyond 3/3:30 will have alot of negative issues. I carry at 3 oclock with a desantis iwb holster. During winter its alot easier to conceal with hoodie or sweatshirt. During summer i just wear looser shirts. I dont worry bout printing either. Im working my way to OC. Gota get a nice owb holster first.

(Chester County)

Tell me more about what you think - what negative issues are we talking about. Ability to draw fast? I get the idea of being pushed up against a wall or problems when seated.

I was taught that if someone is that close to you that you shouldn't be trying to draw anyway as at that distance it becomes a fight for the gun that in many cases should have been better left concealed. I was told that you try to maintain distance. Is my thinking correct?

So the holster should be in front of my body - 3 o'clock? I have to say that I can get a good hold and draw from where it is right now. The cant of the holster and the draw seem very fluid and natural from behind my right hip. Is this a mistake?

Got to remember here I am less than a year into doing this and I don't make it a habit of carrying all of the time - I am in courthouses constantly and carrying there is a no-go.

(Berks County)

I just started carrying a Glock 19 in a crossbreed super tuck at 3 o'clock, strong side.I wouldn't want to reach behind me to draw, and I like the way I can use my arm to "cover" and protect my gun if needed.I never tried carrying sob, but would imagine it being uncomfortable to drive. My holster cants the gun foward, but the butt still prints a little when I bend over foward with a tshirt on.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

There has recently been a discussion (on other sites I read) about "appendix-carry", like about 1:00, for IWB. It would seem that guys who are slimmer, more athletic seem to find it offers better concealmnent and easier draw, as when you draw, it is already facing in the business directrion, and requires no tilt, and also there is far less concern for "sweeping" in the process.

That certainly does not work for me, for I defineitely am not found among the "...slimmer, more athletic..." group.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Franklin County)

I carry about 330. Just infront of my back pocket but not 90 degrees to my strong side.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast