Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sig P239 Help

(Montgomery County)

Question Sig P239 Help

I don't post much on here, mainly do a lot of reading. I recently picked up a P239 with installed #8 front and rear night sights for CCW. My brother picked up a 229 with night sights at the same time. When I took it to the range, it shot approx 2 inches low at 10 yds. Thinking it was me, I slow fired off the bench, and had the same results. Tried my brother's 229, and all shots were POA=POI. My brother and friend both shot the 239 and had the same problem of 2 inches low at 10yds. I am familiar with their guns, as I have my own P229, and install the night sights on my own and friends guns. This time around I decided to buy it preinstalled.
    I called Sig last week, told them it was shooting low, and the woman's response before i told her how low, was "2 inches low at 10 yrds." She told me a #6 front sight, and even checked with someone else to make sure it was a #6. I even figured it would be a #6. Seems to me that they know there is a problem.
    I installed the new sight yesterday and hit the range (I also brought my brother's 229), and now it shoots 4 inches at 10yds. My buddy shot it, and we also shot the 229, to make sure it wasn't us. It's current setup is #6 front, and #8 rear night sights.
    I don't want to have to send it back to Sig if I don't have to. So, is there anything that I can do, maybe order a #6 rear sight? Thanks for the help, and I'll try and answer any questions you may have.
    PA Constitution Article 1, Section 21: The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig P239 Help

Quote Originally Posted by caltek1911 View Post
    I don't post much on here, mainly do a lot of reading. I recently picked up a P239 with installed #8 front and rear night sights for CCW. My brother picked up a 229 with night sights at the same time. When I took it to the range, it shot approx 2 inches low at 10 yds. Thinking it was me, I slow fired off the bench, and had the same results. Tried my brother's 229, and all shots were POA=POI. My brother and friend both shot the 239 and had the same problem of 2 inches low at 10yds. I am familiar with their guns, as I have my own P229, and install the night sights on my own and friends guns. This time around I decided to buy it preinstalled.
    I called Sig last week, told them it was shooting low, and the woman's response before i told her how low, was "2 inches low at 10 yrds." She told me a #6 front sight, and even checked with someone else to make sure it was a #6. I even figured it would be a #6. Seems to me that they know there is a problem.
    I installed the new sight yesterday and hit the range (I also brought my brother's 229), and now it shoots 4 inches at 10yds. My buddy shot it, and we also shot the 229, to make sure it wasn't us. It's current setup is #6 front, and #8 rear night sights.
    I don't want to have to send it back to Sig if I don't have to. So, is there anything that I can do, maybe order a #6 rear sight? Thanks for the help, and I'll try and answer any questions you may have.
    I was in the same boat as you when I picked up the P239. Believe it or not, it might be your grip on the gun. Try switching to Hogue grips to see if that corrects your aim.

(Monroe County)

did you try different brands and weight of ammo? could be the ammo.

Did you use a 6'o clock hold or did you shoot at the bullseye?

(Montgomery County)

RXM - I've rented the 239 in 40 and 9mm on several occasions and put a few hundred rounds through each with no problem. I'll try the Hogue grip, since I do have one for this gun but not installed.

mrnyman - I used a few different brands at 3 different ranges. I have to admit, until I looked it up I had no idea what the 6 o'clock hold was. I was shooting at the bullseye.

I called Sig today and they're sending a #10 rear sight. They said with the original #8 and the #10 it should work. Otherwise, they said it could be a problem with the slide and I'll have to send it in.
    PA Constitution Article 1, Section 21: The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.