Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default reloading newbie

Well I have been trying to do research on reloading, but quite honestly everything you ready makes it sound too easy and the vids on you tube is just putting a case in then bullets lol

Can anyone here recommend a good loading setup. I don't want to go crazy, but would like a multi stage press so It will be quick. I really will only load 45 acp and 9mm.

Saw the dillon 550b here and looks nice. So if you don't mind could someone put together a list of what you would need for a setup? Space is not an issue but don't want to go crazy money wise either. I am cheap I guess, but like nice things lol.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: reloading newbie

If you're just starting out and are most interested in 45acp and 9 mm, go with a Dillon Square Deal B. You'll need a scale, an inertia bullet puller for your mistakes, a good measuring tool for cases and OALs. Don't bother with case trimmer for those 2 calibers, I've been reloading for 35 years and never once have trimmed a 45 acp or 9mm.
    I would invest in a case length gauge for each caliber.

(Westmoreland County)

Man I too believe in quality . How ever don’t get caught up in colors. Dillon makes a great press. But some of the less expensive models are for pistol only. Hornady LNL is another option. You my only be loading the two caliber’s now. But later on who knows. I would pick up either the Lyman 49th or the Lee modern reloading manuals. You will need one anyway. And they will get you started in the right direction. Both will promote their equipment. And only you know what best suits your needs. There are advantages and disadvantages to single stage or Auto progressive presses. I would get the Manuals. Do some more reading. Ask a lot of questions. And then buy.

(Perry County)

If you can afford the Dillon 550, by all means they are excellent, especially if you want to load and shoot a lot of ammo, it is what I use now.

However, I would get a kit, I bought a Lyman 30+ years ago and still use some of it, but Lee makes rather good and less expensive stuff.

Get a new Lyman reloading manual, they take you step by step through reloading and have tons of other information you will need and like.

Either Titegroup or 231 are excellent powders for 9 & .45. Lead bullets from Kings or plated (Frontier or Berry's). Primers can be hard to find and you will need both small pistol and large pistol 1,000 each. I assume you have been shooting and have your once fired brass?

If you buy the kit and the above you will be about even on cost after the 2,000 primers are used up!! In reality it is hard to save a lot on 9MM and even .45 isn't a big saver. To really save you need to reload for magnum and or hunting rounds.

Enjoy, read all you can, you may find you like reloading as much (almost) as shooting.

Edit: I see you live in Bucks Co. Kings (Rodgers Better Bullets) is in King of Prussia? Roger is a great guy who knows about everything about reloading and bullets. Perhaps you could buy primers, bullets, and powder there, that way you could pick his brain as questions arise?
    Last edited by Rundownfid; February 16th, 2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: More info

(Centre County)

If you haven't read the sticky at the top of the Ammo Thread, read it first, it should answer most if not all of your questions.

Yes, reloading is easy, as long as you do things step by step so that you do everything correctly. Many people are proponents of starting out with a single stage press and when the basics are learned and you're comfortable with the process, move up to something else if you want. Most all of the progressive reloaders work very good. There are many different opinions on which is best, I happen to like Dillon equipment (for a progressive), I also have a Lyman and a RCBS single stage press for other specialized reloading jobs. Reloading is a fun hobby and you're not tied to standard factory ammo anymore. You custome load to get the best results from your guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Thank you all. Trying to learn as much as possible. Like the dillon 550 and also any reviews on the hornady progressive unit?
    Also from what I have gathered I will need the following

-press
    -tumbler
    -bullet hammer to fix bad bullets
    -scale
    -measurer
    -dies

does this sound about right? Also any sites you guys use to buy products?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 18902man View Post
    Thank you all. Trying to learn as much as possible. Like the dillon 550 and also any reviews on the hornady progressive unit?
    Also from what I have gathered I will need the following

-press
    -tumbler
    -bullet hammer to fix bad bullets
    -scale
    -measurer
    -dies

does this sound about right? Also any sites you guys use to buy products?
    I get most of my stuff from Midway USA.

I use the Hornady LnL AP and I am extremely satisfied with it. To get a decent overview of the different presses, this is a good site:

http://ultimatereloader.com/

There's also a .pdf of a good comparison of the various progressives out there on the 'net but I didn't ever bookmark it. Do a search on the Hornady and it's bound to turn up.

As Plain Old Bill said, buy these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=594222
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=595577

They will save you a lot of time getting everything set up. Also I disagree with the one bad review. I have these exact gages and they do what I need done to measure a lot of critical dimensions that can be a PITA to measure.

Also, a lot of people suggest a single stage to start out. I don't see that as necessary for pistol at least. I would suggest you use a new progressive press one round at a time through the press until you have made enough rounds to fully understand the process and how adjusting the dies affects what you produce. You can make a whole lot of bad ammo really fast on a progressive if you're new to reloading. Be aware that on most progressives, you will have to readjust the dies slightly when you move on to using it as a progressive -- a case running up into the sizing die especially will reduce the total ram travel slightly but enough to require that all the other dies get another last tweak of adustment to account for that.

Take your time to do things right and get a consistent stroke on the press and you'll crank out plenty of perfect ammo in no time at all. If you rush just to crank rounds per hour a lot of what I'd call junk will likely come out.
    Last edited by Philadelphia; February 16th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.

Lee Classic Turret Press. It's cheap, well made and can be used as a turret or single stage press. I have the next cheaper model and have probably reloaded around 1k rds of .45 and 5k rds of 9mm without any problems. With Lee some of the components seem flimsy or cheap but they work and are reliable. The Lee dies are really nice, especially the factory crimp die. It removes the bulge at the bottom of the case and makes the rounds all feed like factory ammo. I only shoot a Glock which is known for bulging the cases and I've never had an issue. The only thing I didn't like with my Lee reloading kit was the balance scale.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(York County)

I highly recommend Dillon gear and if you are just going to load .45acp and 9mm get s Square deal B with a caliber conversion. Now if you were going to reload rifle ammo in the future also, you may want to get a 550. Since you stated you wanted a progressive set up that is the way I would go. That being said, the other ideas here are good also. I started on an RCBS single stage press that I still have that I load ALL of my hunting ammo on.

Just remember, SAFETY FIRST no matter which way you choose to go

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Lee Classic Turret Press. It's cheap, well made and can be used as a turret or single stage press. I have the next cheaper model and have probably reloaded around 1k rds of .45 and 5k rds of 9mm without any problems. With Lee some of the components seem flimsy or cheap but they work and are reliable. The Lee dies are really nice, especially the factory crimp die. It removes the bulge at the bottom of the case and makes the rounds all feed like factory ammo...The only thing I didn't like with my Lee reloading kit was the balance scale.
    What he said! The only thing I would alter in the above statement is to substitute "inexpensive" for "cheap". I have used the Lee Classic Cast Turret to reload 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp and now .223. It does them all quite well and the kit, from Cabellas is really a bargain. You will still need some extra equipment as others have posted.

It took a while, but I finally mastered their scale and I use it, in conjunction with an electronic scale, to verify powder charges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast