Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Recommendation for home defense shotgun?

Would like one to keep in the house basically for home defense, a shotgun that would be reasonable easy for my wife to operate and shoot, she is not proficient with a handgun.

What would you recommend ?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Recommendation for home defense shotgun?

I would recommend a Rem 870. If you think she wouldn't handle the recoil of a 12 gauge I would get a 20 gauge.

(Delaware County)

Dick's has Reminton 870 pump for under $300. You might want to go the 20ga. route for her. Pull the plug out of the mag tube and whack 6 inches off the barrel with a hacksaw and load it with buckshot. Your good to go!

Forget all the tactical crap. One shot with that, even if she misses, the guy will run like hell. You need to teach her machanics of the gun. Keep it simple.

I'm not a fan of long guns for home defense, but if I was, that's what I would use. You may want to look in the classified forum here. Guys grow tired of the tacticool shotguns and sell them pretty cheap. The 870 you get new for 300 and they are as good as it gets for toughness and reliability. They aren't pretty, but they work!

Good luck!
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Wink Re: Recommendation for home defense shotgun?

Good advice. I'd recommend a surefire on that 870 too. And after today here on the forum...a lawyer on retainer...
    My wife resists range time, but its a liability if their not properly trained in all aspects of using it for self defense...

Quote Originally Posted by MOS6521 View Post
    Good advice. I'd recommend a surefire on that 870 too. And after today here on the forum...a lawyer on retainer...
    My wife resists range time, but its a liability if their not properly trained in all aspects of using it for self defense...
    And what is PROPERLY trained in all aspects of self defense?
    Jules

(Monroe County)

I think first you need to have her fire one in order to see if you should go 12 or 20 gauge. I prefer 12 and my fiance shoots it well so that is what we have but their is nothing wrong with a 20 other than maybe harder to find and more expensive ammo.

Then if just for home defense pick a used model Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. If your lucky you may find a Winchester 1300 Speed pump which is very fast and smooth. These are fairly cheap and will serve you well.

I don't tacticool my shotgun out (minus my range toy that sits in the safe) but rather keep it simple. If the gun only holds five shells I would add extra magazine space bringing it in line with the 18 in barrel. One of the only real down falls to a shotgun is capacity so get as much as you can. I then add a five shot shell holder to my buttstock and if you want a sling. I say if you want because for some people it gets caught on things and they prefer no sling.

Then practice with it and get used to it's manual of arms. It's not to hard and the only difference I'm aware of between the three I mentioned is safety location. You load rounds in the bottom, pump to load, pull trigger to shoot. Then show her how to work the side lock button and safteyto be good to go. I shoot skeet to stay proficient so you may want to give that a try, it's a load of fun but you should first take a class or atleast review information regarding combat shotgun techniques. Next question will be what round for home defense use again my advice is something in buckshot. I use OO but know many knowledgable people who load up O or 1 buck. I personally would stay away from birdshot but that's a whole nother thread.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; February 15th, 2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling

AR15jules,
    Obvious your comment is trolling for an argument. I won't be baited anymore today thanx...

If you read my posts, you will know that I have better things to do than troll. It was a legitimate question. If she has the right to defend her life in a given situation and can aim the tube at an adversary and pull the trigger, how will a lack of any PROPER training haunt her? You don't have to reply in this thread. By doing so, you may clear some things up for the OP who is hoping to provide his better half with a self defense option. I hope by adding more to my response this time, you will feel that I am not trying to illicit some type of childish forum battle. Feel free to PM me your rational.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOS6521 View Post
    AR15jules,
    Obvious your comment is trolling for an argument. I won't be baited anymore today thanx...

Wow, 19 posts and he already has the pulse of the forum......

Id see if you could find a 16 or a 20G gun and let her try them out. Theres also quite a few Low recoil rounds out now for the 12G that she should be able to manage.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by phrank View Post
    Would like one to keep in the house basically for home defense, a shotgun that would be reasonable easy for my wife to operate and shoot, she is not proficient with a handgun.

What would you recommend ?
    In my opinion, a shotgun for home defense should have a short barrel of 18.5 to 20 inches. I like a large shell capacity (7-8 rounds), but, IMO, I would rather have a factory magazine vs an aftermarket magazine extension. I prefer a pump over a semi-automatic for HD, but that's a personal choice. I like polymer vs wood stocks because polymer is lighter, not because it's tacticool.

Also, IMO, I like to add a good white light and a side saddle to carry extra shells onboard. IMO, a pistol grip on it's own does not work as well as one would imagine for HD... and you could say the same for a forend pistol grip. A good shotgun sling is a plus, but steer away from slings that hold shells. I prefer a bead sight vs ghost rings or red dot systems for HD - again, just my opinions.

12ga vs 20ga is no big deal. I would take either for HD. Low recoil ammo and Knoxx recoil-reducing stocks can tame the recoil beast.

It doesn't really matter if it's a semi, pump, or double barrel. Pick the platform you like best, and adapt it for home defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast