Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal Signs

(Allegheny County)

Default Legal Signs

Does anyone know the legality of signage? Example, If a street sign is not readable, or facing the wrong way, is it still binding? If Joe homeowner puts up a sign in his backyard that says "no trespassing" does it apply to just the backyard?
    Is there a website for laws governing signage in PA?

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Perry County)

Default Re: Legal Signs

Can you give a specific example of what you are asking? Your question is kind of vague. Street signs and signs posted on private property are two different things. If it has to do with the legal weight of "no gun" signs, this has already been covered in other threads.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...rry-signs.html
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Washington County)

Signage usually comes under your local municipality, and falls under the building code when on your property.

What kind of signs do you mean?

(Allegheny County)

2 specific instances.. first one is on privat property, one sign actually in a window that says private property. No kidding aren't all residences private?
    the second one regards a sign that says authorized vehicles only.. it is going into a gravel parking lot. On a 1way street, heading west, the parking lot sits on the north, so a 90 degree turn into the parking lot. The signs which sit on the edge of the road face south, so your oppurtunity to see them is while you are making the turn, once you are in the lot, there is nothing to indicate no parking, I would think that the signs should face east so oncoming traffic can see them, not south facing across the stret into the woods..

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    2 specific instances.. first one is on privat property, one sign actually in a window that says private property. No kidding aren't all residences private?
    the second one regards a sign that says authorized vehicles only.. it is going into a gravel parking lot. On a 1way street, heading west, the parking lot sits on the north, so a 90 degree turn into the parking lot. The signs which sit on the edge of the road face south, so your oppurtunity to see them is while you are making the turn, once you are in the lot, there is nothing to indicate no parking, I would think that the signs should face east so oncoming traffic can see them, not south facing across the stret into the woods..
    I'm curious why it matters? Are you looking for loopholes so you can trespass or drive/park where you are not suppose to?

Having "No Trespassing"/"Private Property" signs up and clearly visible on your property could help (and may not hurt) in a court of law, should certain situations arise.
    Signage problems on public thoroughfares/property should be addressed thru the municipality. Phonecall (311 here) and a follow-up written letter (Certified, return receipt requested...) adds to your position.
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Allegheny County)

Interesting how some immediately think of the negative, such as looking for loophole, etc.. If mankind focused more on their own positive aura, instead of looking for negative things in other people right away, the world would indeed be a much better place...
    I am not looking for loopholes, I am trying to fight a "traffic control" ticket I received for parking in a grove at a county park. The only signs face across the street so you can't see them as you are driving up to the "parking lot"...
    The other instance, my friend has a private property sign in his back window, He says as long as it is posted, he can do more to anyone that would break in, steal his property, etc. I believe it has to be posted where people can actually see the sign.
    So technically, I did drive/park where I was not supposed to, but if it is not clearly posted, ie signs in the parking lot of a grove in a county (public) park, How am I to know I can't park there, No trespass intentions at all... I try to stay within the law,

(Cumberland County)

sorry, I was right though you were parked where you were not suppose to be. Although it sounds like a ligitimate claim. If you just show the sign was not visibly posted I would assume you will be alright.

As for the private property sign, isn't it assumed that anyone who is not invited is trespassing?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    Interesting how some immediately think of the negative, such as looking for loophole, etc.. If mankind focused more on their own positive aura, instead of looking for negative things in other people right away, the world would indeed be a much better place...
    well.....it's only because yer a pirate!

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

Thats what the cop thought as well, Pirate? better give em a ticket.. The magistrate felt the same, now it is up to an appeals court.. All over $115... Should just pay it.. But, If I put up a sign that says trespassers will be shot, hang it in a tree in my yard, at the top of the tree, then claim "hey, I clearly posted trespassers will be shot" even though no one is looking for a sign in a tree......

sorry, sometimes I go off a little bit, I don't tolerate stupidity well..

Why not have the sign face oncoming traffic? or put a sign in the parking lot?
    Why have a authorized vehicles only, in a parking lot of a grove????

sorry, there I go again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast