Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: De-Glocking Brass

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I have only seen it in 40 S&W. But I have read the Dillion and Lee dies are ground a little larger than most standard dies. And are not effected by the Bulge.
    I didn't know that. Do you remember where you read it? You definitely feel the bulged cases when you run them through the press, but when they come out the other side as loaded rounds there is no more bulge. I used to use a case gauge to check them, but have never had a problem so I stopped checking. You do have to modify the dies somewhat if you want to get all the way down to the rim though.

(Westmoreland County)

Sorry but I don’t remember. I have Been fighting the 40 brass issue for a while. And reading every thing I could find on the subject. Also from the post I have read. Guys that use Lee or Dillion Die don’t seem to notice it as bad as others. So this would some what confirm it. I wrote to Lyman. Their suggestion was to back the Sizer out a turn. This may have worked on some of the brass. But some had a very prominent Bulge, And would have presented Feed problems. I was to the point of looking into an after market Barrel when I found the G-RX die.

(Northampton County)

I've been reloading for near on 20 yrs now and I definitely have seen plenty of bulged brass from mostly Glocks, and you are right, I can feel them when I run them through my sizing die but it's not enough to be an issue. I guess I didn't realize that (other than being carbide) Lee dies were different from other manufacturers. It's interesting.

(Westmoreland County)

I have been reloading for 40 years. But new to Glock and the 40 S&W. I got a good deal on the Glock 22. And reload everything I shoot. So I guess you are never to old to learn something new. I have always used Lyman Dies and molds. And did not know of the Glock issue. I may have been able to save a couple bucks. If I paid more attention to some of the Glock post. And bought the Lee Dies first. But the Glock Deal was one of those. To good to think to much on. Just hand over the money. Private sale less than Half its value.

(Northampton County)

O.k, o.k.....now I'm starting to follow...I think I got the picture.....problem is with the Lyman dies, right?

(Delaware County)

If you are not familar with the Glock brass issue?
    Simply do a search for "glock brass bulge".
    You will see hundreds of hits about the unsupported case issue and how to fix it.
    Great fixes were listed in this thread also.
    Oh, and by the way, there is an excellent thread below talking about unsupported chambers and showing pictures. Glock is not the only one. The 1911 45 ACP is also unsupported by that standard. The difference is the 40 is high pressure versus the 45 that is not high pressure. The pictures are great. It's the first time I really understood it.
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4878323

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    You will see hundreds of hits about the unsupported case issue and how to fix it.
    Great fixes were listed in this thread also.
    Oh, and by the way, there is an excellent thread below talking about unsupported chambers and showing pictures. Glock is not the only one. The 1911 45 ACP is also unsupported by that standard. The difference is the 40 is high pressure versus the 45 that is not high pressure. The pictures are great. It's the first time I really understood it.
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4878323
    Don't get it twisted. I am fully aware of what Glocks do to .40 brass......it was just never an issue for my press.....I re-sized them with little more effort than resizing anything else...and kept on keeping on...if you know what I mean. I just didn't realize that other peope were having a problem resizing the Glock .40 brass because I have had no trouble resizing it. So there fore the problem is with either the presses other people are using..or the dies they are using.

(Philadelphia County)

You will see hundreds of hits about the unsupported case issue and how to fix it. . . .
    Here is the fix for Glocked brass:

http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_p...home.php?cat=1

(and P.S.: I don't think a chamber should bulge brass -- brass not made to be bulged at case head or web -- something very wrong there)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Leftloose View Post
    Don't get it twisted. I am fully aware of what Glocks do to .40 brass......it was just never an issue for my press.....I re-sized them with little more effort than resizing anything else...and kept on keeping on...if you know what I mean. I just didn't realize that other peope were having a problem resizing the Glock .40 brass because I have had no trouble resizing it. So there fore the problem is with either the presses other people are using..or the dies they are using.
    Sorry. I don't mean to sound like I am twisting it. You just got lucky that you had the right combination to accomplish your particular task. Understanding where the bulge comes from and what tools will fix it is the goal for the people who don't use the specific tools you do. Glock makes a looser chamber so the round will always seat and always fire. People who reload a large volume with progressive presses will simply need to do another step in their case prep. It's all technical in the measurements and specificatations. Dillon, for example, makes their dies for their best performance of their progressive presses that load high volume. Having a little extra room in the entrance to the die really enhances smooth operation. However, that ends up causing problems if using some Glock brass because certain dies didn't find it necessary to resize all the way to the base of the case.

(Northampton County)

Sorry. I don't mean to sound like I am twisting it. You just got lucky that you had the right combination to accomplish your particular task. Understanding where the bulge comes from and what tools will fix it is the goal for the people who don't use the specific tools you do. Glock makes a looser chamber so the round will always seat and always fire. People who reload a large volume with progressive presses will simply need to do another step in their case prep. It's all technical in the measurements and specificatations. Dillon, for example, makes their dies for their best performance of their progressive presses that load high volume. Having a little extra room in the entrance to the die really enhances smooth operation. However, that ends up causing problems if using some Glock brass because certain dies didn't find it necessary to resize all the way to the base of the case.

I re-read my post and realized I may have come off the wong way...there was NO attitude intended, if it came off that way please excuse me.

Anyway, I agree with the die thing...I did notice that my Lee dies were not re-sizing all the way to the base. My lee press and dies do the resizing as the very first step. The same die is the primer remover and the re-sizer. So when a new case drops in and you pull the handle, the case gets de-primed and re-sized right off the bat. I tell you what, I have two Lee Pro-1000's and I reload from 9mm to 44 mag and I love these presses. I do thousands of rounds when I reload and have never had a problem that wasn't my own fault. Not that I wouldn't LOVE to have a Dillon 1050, mind you.........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast