Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Being a Gun Whore

Recently read an interesting article by Mas Ayoob about his experience with his carrying different firearms depending upon his mood/dress/location, etc. He did a 3 month 'experiment' and carried a different gun per month for 3 months and found it to be comforting and no problem whatsoever. Some people on a forum he frequents called him a 'gun whore' and he should stick with one gun only for carry purposes.

I suppose that the 'only carry 1 gun' thought is to find the gun that you are most proficient with and that you are most comfortable carrying and that will be the gun that you will be most accurate with 'when the chips are down'.

Anyone here happen to carry a different handgun depending upon their dress/mood/location, etc?

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Being a Gun Whore

I don't switch what I carry based on mood, but certainly based on what I am going to wear.

In colder weather I tend to wear shirts that are longer and don't need to be tucked in. In these cases I go with a CZ-75 OWB and just let the shirt/jacket cover it.

In warmer weather I usually end up wearing shirts that get tucked or t-shirts. The CZ doesn't conceal too well with this attire so I go with the LCP. (Yeah, I kow it's only a .380 ... but it's better that nothing.)

(Allegheny County)

When I first got my S&W 642, I carried it for a while. I experimented with carrying it as a BUG in an ankle holster, but discovered I hate ankle holsters. A few times I OCed it, with my M&P 9mm concealed as a BUG. This got me laughed at during Constable training, when the instructor made us lift our shirts before an exercise. Later I decided I wasn't proficient enough with it, and stopped carrying it at all.

Now that I've had more range time with it, I may carry it again when the mood strikes. Something about it kind of appeals to me. Maybe I'll OC it. Then if some liberal tells me it's compensation for a small penis, I can ask incredulously what sort of man carries a phallic symbol with a 2" barrel.

(Monroe County)

I choose between two guns in three different set ups.

When I cannot carry anything else or am around my home in sweats I have a p3at for my pocket.

When I go out I carry a Glock 26 with ten round mag

When I can cocneal it or it's on the nightstand the G26 has a fifteen round magazine in it.

This handles all my needs and the manual of arms is the same on both guns except for the lack of a slide lock on the p3at. I am also getting twice as much practice on my Glock than if I had one main carry gun and a different nighstand gun.

I'm a gun whore, I guess. I have several handguns which I alternate carrying.

It has nothing to do with mood, etc., & is mostly fashion oriented. I always ask my wife before I leave the house, "Honey, does the Sig make my butt look big, or should I go with the G23?"
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I leave the house, "Honey, does the Sig make my butt look big, or should I go with the G23?"
    Lemme guess. She always says, "No, the Sig doesn't..."

(Allegheny County)

1911/ SR9c/ LCP depending on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing.

(York County)

Hiking I usually go with XD 45
    fishing I go with snub nosed 38 spec or the 9mm
    Out to dinner I like the 9 mm

I just carry what feels comfortable for the situation.

and yes I do practice with each one on a regular basis.

(York County)

I decided that the gun I shoot most accurately and that is most comfortable in my hand is my Beretta 92G Vertec. However, that is a pretty big honkin' gun. I have a Milt Sparks VMII for it (IWB) and it is OK as long as I am dressed in something other than bluejeans. I like my Glock 27 with OWB Galco Matrix or Galco leathe paddle holster. Occasionally I will switch up to my Beretta 9000 in an OWB just because the grip on that gun doesn't poke into me when I holster it and it rides high.

I am still (STILL) waiting on my Milt Sparks VMII for my Sig P239 SAS and look forward to carrying that as well. I wouldn't say I change up depending upon my mood....but I definitly do change up what is carried due to comfort/clothing.

I switch weekly.

If I'm going to have to disarm frequently, I carry my Smith 36 in a Desantis pocket holster.

Otherwise I carry a full sized auto or revolver IWB in a Don Hume 715M.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast