Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Lapping Aluminum Rings?

In the past, I have always lapped the scope rings, when using steel rings (I favor Leupold). Or, I have purchased precision aluminum rings (TSP) that do not require lapping. My next project is a rimfire plinker and I don't want to invest an arm & a leg in the scope mount set-up. The rifle has a one-piece Weaver base and I intend to use Leupold Rifleman aluminum rings. Should these be lapped? I understand that they will be far easier to lap than steel rings, but am I running the chance of removing surface hardness. While the project is not real high-end, that doesn't mean that I don't want to do it right, and the scope (which I already have) is decent quality and still unmarked, even though it has been on two guns previously. I'd like to keep it that way. What say you? Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Default Re: Lapping Aluminum Rings?

Lapping required if determined that the ring vs. base is out of alignment and/or ring edges-surface aren't correctly finished.

Main benefits: No damage to tube, Increased surface grip eliminating scope movement, Eliminates tube distortion so adjustments/tracking are correct/improved. Psychlogical.

So the actual test methodology & tools used are important.

Ah, once again the advantage of quality products by quality makers!!!!

Not to be concerned about the surface. 22 RF is the purring pussycat of recoil. Leupold Rifleman ring has no surface hardening other than the anodization level. The little amount removed to 'square' the ring is of no concern vs. proper torque value & tool used.

Over the years I've become a big fan of sleeving rings. We machine sleeves out of Delrin for some jobs, also as ring reducers.

Burris Signature is a superb set up for all but DGR rifles. Sako Opti Lok is another great gripper. Both are self aligners eliminating any issue other then the work of the installer.
    Burris Signature has the advantage of patented variable sleeve dimensions to compensate for misalignment & greatly helps to reclaim lost scope adjustments. Saves times, $$$ and frustration.