Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Noob friendly range?

Was wondering which ranges in the area I could check out that I would be able to learn to shoot at? Finally bought my first gun and looking for a place to shoot, only thing I've ever shot close to this was BB guns when I was younger but I'm also well informed on firearm safety and such. So i guess I'm really just looking for a place with nice people that I could learn from and not have everyone hate me because I'm new

(Berks County)

Default Re: Noob friendly range?

Muhlenburgh Area Shooting Association. I'm still waiting for my indoc, but I believe they have course you can take.Nice place.

(Berks County)

Yep, I as well highly reccomend MASA (Muhlenberg). The club Secretary (Mragaret) is a certified instructor....very nice woman to learn from!

The dues are only $10 a year for Muhlenberg residents and $15 for everyone else.

It's a great range! I've met some very, very freindly people there and usually spend more time talking than shooting....and I'm a pretty quite & reserved person that usually keeps to myself!

One afternoon we even spend time swapping toys.....keep in mind we were all complete strangers!

If (when) you join, shoot me an email.....I'd be happy to go along with you & bring some additional toys!

(Schuylkill County)

Yeah I was leaning towards MASA especially since it's real close. I'll definitely emial you when I join and we can a fun day at the range some time

(Berks County)

here is the link to the MASA website. Click on membership, then on application form. Print one off and send it in with a check for your dues. You will then need to attend an orientation.

www.muhlshooting.org

It is very newbee friendly. You will meet a lot of nice folk there.

(Allegheny County)

Another good idea, if you're new to shooting, is to take a class like the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course. You can search for classes here. The nearest one to Hershey seems to be on Friday, March 12, 2010 at the Mill Creek Sportsmans Club in Lancaster. More information here.

You should expect a good class, patient, friendly instructors, safety instruction and some enjoyable range time. It'll really build your confidence.

(Berks County)

The NRA Basic Pistol class is great for new as well as experienced shooters. One fellow at the MASA range told me he shot in the army 20 yrs. ago and they didn't teach him some of what the NRA course covers. He was very impressed when he took the course through MASA and said it really helped him improve his shooting skills.
    Check with the Instructors at MASA. You don't have to travel that far to take the course. You can call the Secretary of MASA and ask her about it. She is an NRA Certified Instructor and they do the courses at MASA. Her ph. # is 610-670-6727 and her name is Margaret.

(Berks County)

The MASA range is located behind the Met Ed building on Rt. 61. You can also get there the back way by taking the by-pass and getting off on River Road exit. The range is outdoors and open all year - weather permitting. But it is private and you must become a member to shoot there. There is a gate across the road that is locked at all times (unless the police are back there using it.)

There are NRA safety courses for Rifle, shotgun and others as well.