Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default National Park Service - Firearms Rules

Questions & Answers
    Implementation of Firearms Law

Q. Why do people have firearms in national parks – they never did before?
    A. In most national parks, only authorized law enforcement officials have been allowed to carry firearms, but a 2009 federal law made national parks – and national wildlife refuges – generally subject to applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. When did this happen?
    A. The law was enacted on May 22, 2009, and became effective February 22, 2010.

Q. Were there parks where I could bring a firearm before February 22?
    A. Yes, in most Alaska national parks and in a limited number of other national parks that allow hunting (when the firearm was brought for the purpose of hunting). The law does not change existing state and federal laws regarding hunting or the conditions for hunting in national parks. Also, people who drove with firearms could have an unloaded firearm that was rendered inoperable and packed, cased, or stowed when their travels took them through a national park.

Q. Can I have a firearm in every park after February 22, 2010?
    A. If you can legally possess a firearm outside of a national park, you can possess it in that park on and after February 22, 2010. It is up to visitors to understand the requirements of federal law and the laws of the states/localities they live in or are travelling to (or through). Park websites have been updated to offer basic information about the applicable state law(s) and will generally include a link to a state website with more information.

Q. How do I know where I can take a firearm?
    A. It is the responsibility of each individual to know and understand applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. Can I openly carry my firearm in a national park?
    A. If it is allowed by applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. Can I carry a concealed firearm in a national park?

Q. Can I have a firearm in my hotel room if it is inside a national park?
    A. Unless the hotel has a policy on firearms, if it is allowed by applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. Can I have a firearm in my car or tent?

Q. Can I take a firearm anywhere I go in the park?
    A. No. Federal law prohibits firearms in "federal facilities," which are generally defined as federally-owned or -leased buildings where federal employees work on a regular basis. Buildings that meet this definition will have signs posted at public entrances noting the prohibition on firearms.

Q. If I have a firearm and need to enter a building where it is prohibited, what do I do with it?
    A. Safely store it according applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. If I’m in a park that is located in multiple states, how do I know which state’s laws apply?
    A: It is up to the individual to know the laws of the state they are in and where they are.

Q. If I travel with a firearm, but do not wish to take it into a national park, how/where should I store it?
    A: Safely store it according to applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. I’ve got my firearm, can I hunt while I’m here?
    A. Only a limited number of national parks allow hunting. You must adhere to the park’s hunting rules and regulations.

Q. I have a permit to carry a concealed firearm from my home state, does that allow me to carry a firearm here?
    A. Some permits are recognized in multiple states, many are not. It is up to the individual to know which states accept their concealed carry permit.

Q. How do I know when I’m in a national park?
    A: National parks will generally have posted signs indicating that you are entering a national park. In backcountry areas or large expanses such as those in Great Smoky Mountains National Park or Yellowstone National Park, it is up to the individual to know where they are and what the laws of that state are.

Q. Where can I find the firearms laws for each state?
    A: Go to the following link for individual state websites. http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/State_and_Territories.shtml

Q. What kinds of firearms are allowed?
    A: Any firearm that is not prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law.

Q. I am worried that having firearms in national parks will affect the safety of my family and the experience we hope to have. Should I still come?
    A. For nearly 100 years, the mission of the National Park Service has been to protect and preserve the parks and to help visitors enjoy them. The parks belong to all Americans – those who support this new law and those who do not. Our commitment is to enforce the law, enforce it fairly, and to ensure the safety of our visitors, the parks and their resources, while all visitors enjoy these special places.

Q. My family and I come here to enjoy the peacefulness of the park – why is the National Park Service allowing people to bring firearms?
    A. Firearms are allowed – consistent with applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws – as a result of a new federal law enacted in May 2009.

Q. I am frightened by firearms and am leaving the park. Can I have my entrance fee refunded? My annual pass refunded?
    A. Park superintendents have the authority to provide a refund if the circumstances warrant it.

Q. What should I do if I feel threatened by someone with a firearm?
    A. Contact the nearest park ranger or contact the park office and let them know why you feel threatened.

Q. What should I do if I see someone drinking alcohol who has a firearm?
    A. Contact the nearest park ranger or contact the park office and report what you have seen.

Source: http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/upl...jan%202010.pdf
    Last edited by Red; February 14th, 2010 at 05:59 AM.

(Northampton County)

Default National Park Service - Northeast Region - Firearms Law Information

Firearms Law Information

The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010.

Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.

The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting.

Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances.

For more specific information please select a state below:
    (Some links are currently inactive - Information is constantly being updated)

Connecticut
    Delaware
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New York
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    Vermont
    Virginia
    West Virginia

Source: http://www.nps.gov/nero/firearms/

(Chester County)

Default Re: National Park Service - Firearms Rules

Nice FAQ but Is anyone else bothered by the replies to the "I'm afraid of guns..." questions?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jruddell View Post
    Nice FAQ but Is anyone else bothered by the replies to the "I'm afraid of guns..." questions?
    Yes, I dont see how such things are necessary in such a FAQ
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jruddell View Post
    Let's face it, those ("anti") people do exist and they have certainly made their existence known to the NPS. By putting those questions in the FAQ the NPS can hopefully shortcut some of the inevitable whining by simply saying: this is the way it is, it is your choice to come and accept it as it is, or not come.

Actually, it think it is informative and neutral.

The only question that "tweaked" me was:
    A. Contact the nearest park ranger or contact the park office and report what you have seen.
    I think this could have been better combined with:
    Q. What should I do if I feel threatened by someone with a firearm?
    A. Contact the nearest park ranger or contact the park office and let them know why you feel threatened.
    into something like:
    Q. What should I do if I feel threatened by or I see someone acting dangerously who has a firearm?
    OTOH, the carrying & drinking issue seems to be a point of debate even on this forum, and there are some State law issues relating to alcohol and firearms.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Indiana County)

Overall, a good response by the National Park Service - remarkably neutral.

Note they strongly emphasize individual responsibility in knowing your state's firearms laws.

(Indiana County)

I wonder if screening checkpoints (with meal detectors and xray machines), such as the one when you visit the statue of liberty, will be demolished now?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I wonder if screening checkpoints (with meal detectors and xray machines), such as the one when you visit the statue of liberty, will be demolished now?
    I think this new law only covers National Parks , and Wildlife Areas. I don't think it changes a thing at "National Historic Sites", while administered by the National Park Service, such sites are not considered National Parks.

In other words you still can't carry at places like The Liberty Bell, Steamtown National Historic Site, The Statute of Liberty (which is in New York anyway???)

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    [I]
    shouldn't the reply be....."it is not illegal in Pa to drink alcohol while carrying a firearm, but it is illegal to be publicly intoxicated in Pa, firearm or NOT, if you see someone PUBLICLY INTOXICATED, WHETHER OR NOT THEY HAVE A FIREARM, notify a ranger...etc..."...?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by CZ40P View Post
    I think this new law only covers National Parks , and Wildlife Areas. I don't think it changes a thing at "National Historic Sites", while administered by the National Park Service, such sites are not considered National Parks.

In other words you still can't carry at places like The Liberty Bell, Steamtown National Historic Site, The Statute of Liberty (which is in New York anyway???)
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...eas-carry.html

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast