Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default .22 Mag or .38 SP Derringer?

I have decided that I want a Cimarron Derringer for various reasons. It comes in a number caliber options (.22 LR, .22 Mag, .32 H&R, .38 SP). I would like to hear some opinions on which caliber you would get it in and why.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Der.../Derringer.htm

Thanks for any feedback.
    Last edited by tsafa; February 14th, 2010 at 02:02 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: .22 Mag or .38 SP Derringer?

Since I wouldn't carry a derringer for self defense, it would just be a toy for show and tell. Too many better choices for SD carry...
    That said, if I bought one, it would be a .38 Spl. at maximum. A .32 might be a better choice.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; February 14th, 2010 at 07:13 AM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Luzerne County)

It all comes down to what you plan on doing with it. A .22 is much cheaper to shoot. But the 38 would be a better defensive caliber.

I have a few derringers. They are just toys to me. I carry a Kimber ultra carry.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(McKean County)

Default .22

I said .22 because it would be cheaper to shoot for a toy. That's all I would consider a derringer for. I've had 2 a .22 and a .38. The .38 would really sting your hand after a couple of rounds and the bullet would actually keyhole into the target. Not to mention only 2 shots, terrible triggers, suck for accuracy, heavy for what you get.

Sorry can you tell that I don't like derringers.

(Warren County)

Default Re: .22

Quote Originally Posted by Mastifflover View Post
    I said .22 because it would be cheaper to shoot for a toy. That's all I would consider a derringer for. I've had 2 a .22 and a .38. The .38 would really sting your hand after a couple of rounds and the bullet would actually keyhole into the target. Not to mention only 2 shots, terrible triggers, suck for accuracy, heavy for what you get.
    If you are buying a toy , then .22 is bestest.

If you are buying SD, re-think the derringer.

There are a lot of small SD pistols out there.
    Both these are up for $200

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/85...l-tec-p11.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/89...urus-85-a.html
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    I have decided that I want a Cimarron Derringer for various reasons. It comes in a number caliber options (.22 LR, .22 Mag, .32 H&R, .38 SP). I would like to hear some opinions on which caliber you would get it in and why.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Der.../Derringer.htm

Thanks for any feedback.
    The reason for buying it will likely be a factor in the chambering. I see you're mulling 22 magnum or 38 special, implying that you've ruled out 22 long rifle. I haven't had an opportunity to fire on in 38 special, that must be a real treat.

I had a similar variant, a D22 (22LR) years ago. Fortunately my example held up well. I was very surprised initially how much power it delivered, for a short barreled 22 the penetration was very good. I suppose this was simply the lack of a cylinder gap which would have otherwise bled off pressure. I suspect another factor was expansion ratio -- the length of the bore ahead of the cartridge with respect to the bore diameter. The 22LR has the highest expansion ratio of all the chamber options.

If I'm reading the Cimarron ad correctly, they offer a 22LR barrel and a 22 magnum extra barrel. If so, I suggest this option if you select 22. The cost of 22 magnum is about the same as centerfire, which could limit how much you can practice with it.

Speaking of cylinder gap, I see you've also been looking at NAA mini revolvers ("rev-lovers"...interesting malapropism [8^)). This might be another option for you, if you're considering 22. The NAA is available as a combination, or convertible gun in 22LR and 22 magnum. The primary advantage of this platform is three additional rounds in roughly the same size, and the NAA is stainless steel. Also note the NAA mini costs about the same as the derringer you're considering. The derringer's value plummets when sold to the first owner, new I see they're selling for about $150. Used, they rarely sell for even $75-$80.

If the Cimarron is the latest reincarnation of the Cobra nee Davis derringer, the frame and outer barrel jacket is cast from something similar to pot metal, and rimfire models will be damaged by dry-firing on an empty chamber. They are not guns that are typically built to last a long time. Two similar guns that use steel are:

The two previously mentioned models are available up to at least 45 caliber.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Monroe County)

PA Rifleman, I see you have the whole picture in sight. I did not want to over complicate my post initially.

I have already decided that I will buy one NNA mini-revolver and one Cimarron derringer. The Cimmarron's come with two barrels so my choice is .22LR/.22Mag or .32H&R/.38SP.

I was leaning toward the .22 configuration but I am now thinking that since I will buy the NAA with the .22LR/.22Mag conversion cylinder perhaps it makes more sense to get the Cimmaron in .32/.38 for the sake of more variety. I am wondering if the .38 SP is manageable in a gun this small too. I am a fairly big, but the gun will not be easy to grip.

The purpose of these guns is mostly to have fun and have a diverse collection of firearms.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.
    Last edited by tsafa; February 14th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.

(Indiana County)

I will disagree with the others that need 6 shots from a .380 to feel that a gun is an appropriate SD gun.

A quality derringer is better than nothing if you are confronted with a bad guy looking to do you harm.

I carried a Freedom Arms Mini, the father to the NAA Mini's for years, and they are also hard to handle and manipulate.

Even though you are wanting a derringer for fun, not carry, I would suggest a quality one like Bond Arms. The cheesy finish on the Cimmarons combined with the clunky hammer/trigger is not any fun at all, then you have to toss in the fact that they are of questionable quality and will most certainly start to malfunction. Fixing one of those guns will not be worth what a gunsmith will charge, so you end up with a wall hanger or paperweight.

All that said, if you still want to get one of the Cimmarons, go with the .22 cal model so the aluminum/magnesium/pot metal frame does not have to take the punishment of .38 rounds. As a former dealer, my advice is to be prepared to be disappointed, most likely you will the first time you use it.

(Potter County)

I agree completely regarding the quality issue. Buy junk and you get junk. And junk is more likely to do you harm than anything you are shooting at - even if it is just for fun.

IMO the best derringer ever made is the High Standard 22 Mag DM-101. I've owned 2 of them over a period of 35 years. They are a quality weapon made of quality materials. Never once had a misfire or malfunction of any kind. And yes, they suffice quite well as a SD weapon, been there done that and am still here to say it.

And they have advanatages over conventional derringers. They are much, much thinner (1/2 inch with the outer grips removed) and easier to carry - anywhere. Conventional holsters are available, but my personal preference is the pocket holster. (see pic below) They work in any pocket, jacket or pants. And are particulary suited for deep concealment, with still ready & speedy access, if carried in the back pants pocket. And nobody, not even those with trained eyes, can tell that you have it.

And before somebody comments, there is absolutely no chance of an AD with that trigger - 0. The trigger must be quite deliberately pulled in order for the gun to fire. I would estimate the trigger pull at a minimum of 3 times the force required for an ordinary double action.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Franklin County)

Last year I wanna to see about getting the 22 mag for my wife and the 38 for me. once we put on hands on one, we were concerned about control, cause they were too small. I went with one of these, which you can but different barrels for. Mine shoots 45 colt and 410 shot shells. Very comfortable carrying this piece for a number of reasons. Easy and comfortable to conceal. i have confidence that the 410 shot shell would make a big enough statement if I needed to use it. It 's the same that the taurus judge is ,only the judge is a revolver. Oh and it's big enough to control.. http://www.bondarms.com/
    In God We Trust............................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast