Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Walther P-99?

(Centre County)

Default Walther P-99?

So I had CZ75PCR on layaway for my wife. Thought that would make a great gun for my wife - not too small, not too big, not too heavy, DA/SA, availability of pink grip, and great DA trigger is few springs away.

Well, I took her to gunship today, and she saw it, played with it, and she liked it, until she got to play with Walther P-99. She loved the thing(come to think of it, she was deeply dissapointed when I sold my old P-22. It must fits her hand better or something..)
    anyway, since that's what she wanted, it's now on layaway, instead of CZ.

I must admit tho that I know nothing about it, other then it's current 007's gun, and it doesn't seems like there are too much info available online.
    Anyone one have any experience with them? Reliablity? Durability? Availability of aftermarket support

One that she is getting is one called "Anti-Stresss" model...
    Last edited by Mity2; February 14th, 2010 at 02:39 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(York County)

Default Re: Walther P-99?

I looked at the compact version for my first handgun, I ended up getting a glock 26 because I just can't use the P99 mag release. I like the similar H&K mag release but with the P99 I couldn't push it down without moving the gun in my hand. I've read a lot of good reviews for it, and I really wanted to like it, it looks like the price has dropped significantly in the last few months, I might still get one if I find a good deal and just hope I don't have to reload in a hurry lol. I dry-fired one and it has a pretty nice trigger for a striker fired gun, I would definitely get the AS trigger model, basically you can set the first shot for either a long or a short SA trigger pull then subsequent shots will be short pull.

Great shooter, slim profile. IMHO the best Poly framed pistol out there. Yes better than H&K, Glock,etc. Is she getting the 9mm or .40?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Great shooter, slim profile. IMHO the best Poly framed pistol out there. Yes better than H&K, Glock,etc. Is she getting the 9mm or .40?
    She is getting 9mm version.
    It fits better to her hand(and mine for that matter) 10 times better then H&K, and 100times better ergonomics then Glock.

I'm just worried, because its not major pistol in the sense, availability of night sight and such

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    She is getting 9mm version.
    It fits better to her hand(and mine for that matter) 10 times better then H&K, and 100times better ergonomics then Glock.

I'm just worried, because its not major pistol in the sense, availability of night sight and such
    An excellent review from a PAFOA member
    Walther P99

Based on my research, I too selected a P99 AS in 9mm. A number of European police and military organizations use the P99.

As for add-ons, while there might not be the massive variety as can be found for Glocks, there are some good products to be found (I plan on adding an XS 24/7 Big Dot to mine.)

Gene

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by gene737 View Post
    An excellent review from a PAFOA member
    Walther P99

Based on my research, I too selected a P99 AS in 9mm. A number of European police and military organizations use the P99.

As for add-ons, while there might not be the massive variety as can be found for Glocks, there are some good products to be found (I plan on adding an XS 24/7 Big Dot to mine.)

Gene
    Thats good to know. At this moment, only thing I'm planning to do is to add night sight to it. And few more magazines.

If my wife likes it ALOT, then I would like to send the gun out to get some hard chrome applied to all the metal - She likes the two-tone look ever since her 3913 was silver with black controls..

No pink grip available that I can see tho, although, I did found hard wood grip insert....

(Warren County)

It's a great gun, very accurate and the trigger is one of the best I've ever shot. The one I owned was the 40 cal version, never had an issue with it.
    Last edited by chez323; February 14th, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Montgomery County)

I have both the 9 mm and the 0.40. Excellent guns, accurate and have some very nice "precocking" features as well. Bear in mind that the SW99 is "supposedly" the same gun but it is not. I have two of the German made ones which will be marked as such and also have German proofs. Magazines can be difficult to obtain but Midway do carry them. What is nice is the option to alter the back strap as three different varieties come with the gun if new, I ended up with three for the 0.40 and 1 for the 9 mm, but they can be purchased from Walther USA. there is a Walther Forum that is worth joining with a large amount of info on it. Enjoy! Dave_n

(Wyoming County)

I own the german made walther p99. excellent peice. Feels like it belongs in your hand. Its the .40 caliber model with 10+1 capacity. Magazines are difficult to get, and i have the old style sigh rail that is very hard to find sight accessories. I would highly reccomend it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by driven5950 View Post
    I own the german made walther p99. excellent peice. Feels like it belongs in your hand. Its the .40 caliber model with 10+1 capacity. Magazines are difficult to get, and i have the old style sigh rail that is very hard to find sight accessories. I would highly reccomend it.
    I personaly perfer an older rail design, and trigger guard design over newer design.

Now, I know that the original proprietary accessory rail is hard to use, but I think it look better, and I don't mount anything on rail for the most part(my P-99 with Picatinny rail won't accept my TLR2 anyway due to stupidly shaped trigger guard. TLR1 "may" fit.)

And if I was to do it again, I think i'd go with QA or DAO. AS trigger takes some getting used to, and decocker knob is hard to use without braking my grip on the weapon.

But with that said, pistol is joy to shoot. Its accurate, easy recoil, and so far, no FTE or FTF. DA trigger could be little lighter(Need to replace OEM striker spring with Glock 5.5lbs spring).

Mag release, I do like. Its easy to use, but probrem is that spend few min shooting at the range, I find myself looking for mag release on trigger guard on my carry gun - Which has more conventionalgrip mounted release