Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default News from ATI (American Tactical Imports) About Fake Cans

their own website doesn't haveany news on this, but they post regularly on www.ar15.com.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=305635&page=1

To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.
    Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.
    IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16”. DO NOT RETURN THE SMALLER CARBINE SHROUD.
    WHAT TO DO:
    If possible return your old shroud to the dealer where purchased and show him this notice. The shroud will be returned to ATI along with a list of serial numbers from the guns that the shrouds were removed. ATI will send replacements to the dealer for pick up at your convenience; ATI will be sending replacements as fast as logistics allow. If your dealer is out of business or difficult to reach, or you purchased your gun used, from a consumer, return the shroud directly by US mail or UPS to American Tactical Imports Inc. 100 Airpark Drive Rochester, NY 14624.
    PLEASE TRY NOT TO CALL US. We will provide comprehensive information on our web site www.americantactical.us , and www.ar15.com or by e-mail to atiexchange@americantactical.us
    REMEMBER, INCLUDE THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER WITH EACH SHROUD OR A REPLACEMENT WILL NOT BE ISSUED.
    This action IS NOT being instituted through any fault and is strictly due to NFA compliance. American Tactical will assume the responsibility to satisfy the requirements in an effort to minimize the impact on our customers and protect your investment.
    We at American Tactical Imports Inc. sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely,
    Anthony DiChario
    President C.E.O. retailcandoc.021210
    Christopher Marzahn - Import Administrator - American Tactical Imports - chris@americantactical.us

(Monroe County)

Default Re: News from ATI (American Tactical Imports) About Fake Cans

wow, they must be able to be altered into working suppressors or something...neat!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    wow, they must be able to be altered into working suppressors or something...neat!
    Right. Perhaps "able to be." ATF is completely out of control and has been for some time. Not talking about the accused murderers, etc., just the tech branch et al. I think they've outrageously exceeded their statutory authority for regulation. Even if we aint going to change the laws, these regulators need to be flushed and the Bureau started over.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Right. Perhaps "able to be." ATF is completely out of control and has been for some time. Not talking about the accused murderers, etc., just the tech branch et al. I think they've outrageously exceeded their statutory authority for regulation. Even if we aint going to change the laws, these regulators need to be flushed and the Bureau started over.
    I agree, since its not a "suppressor" UNTIL it's ILLEGALLY altered.

(Monroe County)

I guess i shoulda picked up one of those at the last show i went to. they do look like a fun gun to have. besides, i probably won't be able to afford a real MP-5 any time soon. does that mean any new GSG-5's imported won't have any fake cans on them?
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1 View Post
    I guess i shoulda picked up one of those at the last show i went to. they do look like a fun gun to have. besides, i probably won't be able to afford a real MP-5 any time soon. does that mean any new GSG-5's imported won't have any fake cans on them?
    It's the ones with the fake intergral suppressor that are the problem. Not the regular model with the screw on one. Those aren't a problem.

Problem:

Not a problem:

(Monroe County)

i don't think either model was ever really a problem with any consumers, but with " the MAN". it's just b/c it's a black ,menacing looking waepon that's really not all that loud in the first place. correct me if i'm wrong ,but aren't Brits(who are licensed to own hunting firearms) required to have a supressor on thier guns for safety reasons/ hearing protection?
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

(Allegheny County)

This reminds me of when "silencers" for paintguns were deemed illegal.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

That sucks. Wonder how many people are in possession of a non registered NFA item. And I wonder how many have been busted with said item/ not busted with said item. This is BS, maybe it actually reduces the decibel amount enough to be illegal?

And I wanted one of these too.

This is crazy actually, there are probably thousands of federal felons out there now that had no idea they were committing a crime.

(Monroe County)

from what ive read about the BS surrounding this on ARFCOM the fake can does reduce the sound of the shot, but its minuscule at best. probably by 1dB. but to the ATF thats considered suppressing sound. which is total BS because the muzzle is at the end of the can, no where inside the can just like on the screw on carbine model.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast