Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Optics Help

(Berks County)

Default AR Optics Help

OK,
    I am looking for a choice of optics for my new AR carbine. Having leaned a thing or two from other threads, this is what I a looking to acomplish. Accuracy to 100-200 yards for target shooting, light to moderate use...not going into battle anytime soon. should I look at anything with magnification, or at that range is it not needed. I have been scoping out (no pun intended) the eotech 512 and the one of the Aimpoints up a Cabela's......I have one of their "Cash Cards" and I want to use it. They also have a "Truglo" with 2X and 4 different reticals for I think $150ish.....does anyone know what kind of relief these scopes have and if they are any good. Keep in mind that I am not looking to shoot 1000 yards with my carbine, and it will see a very non-abusive life just used at the range. I know there are some AR Fiends on this board (lycanthrope i know you are out there) and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

The Capn'

(Berks County)

Default Re: AR Optics Help

Bump for Help

(Centre County)

Hmmm. I have an aimpoint on mine and I like it just fine. It's rugged and the small dot seems to work pretty good at the ranges you specified. But I use a 10x leupold for target shooting small groups at 100 and 200 yards.

No experience with the others. As far as the truglo, maybe pass on that one. The $150ish could probably be spent towards a better choice.

Hopefully somebody will come along with experience with all three.

(Delaware County)

I like the aimpoints myself and if you don't want to spend a ton of dough they have non-tacticool models for less. www.midwayusa.com has the 7000sc WITH the 2x magnifier on sale for 199.99.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Lawrence County)

Eotechs and Aimpoints are excellent optics. I love the battery life in the upper end Aimpoints (can you say "Leave it on for years"). Excellent hard usage options.

That being said, for ranges between 100-200 yards I prefer a nice low powered variable scope. 1.5x5, 2x7, and 3x9 are great options and with a lighted retical you can use them with both eyes open for close shooting.

The changeable retical holographic sights tend to lose some zero after the retical wheel loses some tension from use. I use one on a .22, but wouldn't recommend it on a mid range shooter.

LycanyoucouldhavecalledinPM,sorryiwaslatethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Beaver County)

I have an Eo 512 on an A3 and love it. I've shot it at a 100 yd target nicely, same target at 200yd, not so good. When I shoot 200 yd now, I use the iron sights on an A2. I use the A3 for IPSC shooting, very nice, very nice.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the info on the variable reticals. I did not think of that aspect. I am kind of leaning towards a slight magnification. I should have the ability to try an eotech tomorrow evening and see what I think. I do not have the best eyesight, and things get blurry at around 100 yards with my glasses. I think that the smaller moa should help clear things up a bit. There is also a line on a Trijicon Acog yellow....but it has the carry handle mounting system on it, and I have a flat top. Guess I will see.

The Capn'

(Lancaster County)

Well since you have a flat top upper...

If you are looking for something sort of "convertable" you could get a set of scope rings that are of the clamp on style and get a removable rear sight for your iron sights and then just get a nice adjustable power scope for your AR...

That is what I am looking at doing once I finally commit to building my AR...

That way it gives you a level of practicality if you ever have to use it inside a house for home defense and also give you the ability to be precise at long range with it. Just make sure you index where you mount your sights and scope or it wont be accurate....
    Last edited by SharpShooter88; August 28th, 2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: confusion...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capnswervon View Post
    There is also a line on a Trijicon Acog yellow....but it has the carry handle mounting system on it, and I have a flat top. Guess I will see.

The Capn'
    The Triji's have adaptors for flat tops you can buy.

I'd LOVE a TA-31.....

Lycansighthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

Well, the Trigicon is sold pending funds.....for $550....not to me, so back to the drawing board and I will try out the eotech tomorrow. Here is the setup so far for reference.

The Capn'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast