Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: .45 FMJ vs 9mm JHP

Most of the GREAT 9mm JHP rounds will expand to .63-.75". A .45 starts at .45... and will usually get to .75" with some exceeding that. This is because of speed. The faster the round goes the more it lends itself to expansion. That being said, modern HP's have a larger velocity window under which they will perform...

Which means you have a 115-147ish gr .63-.75" slug passing through you. Or a 190-230gr .75" slug passing through you. Now if they don't expand the .45 is going to do what it has always done. Hit harder.

But with that, you will also get less ammunition per size and weight of the host weapon, and increased recoil.

It's all a trade off that needs to be weighed by the end user and suited to their needs / abilities. This is why there are so many calibers available. No two people's needs are exactly the same, and neither are their abilities. If they were we'd only have one pistol caliber and one type of gun to shoot it.

In the end, I don't want hit with either! As much of a fan as I am of .45, I do NOT kid myself about what 9mm JHP will do to a person's insides.

I picked 9mm + a good JHP as a weapon for carry. So I guess that's my personal choice. I like 10+1. vs 5-6+1 for the same size and weight pistol. The .45 guys will say well, don't miss much and there won't be a problem slappy McNutz. But knowing my luck I will. So... my choice is what it is.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; February 15th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: .45 FMJ vs 9mm JHP

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Remember two things:
    1) The 9mm may or may not open.
    2) The .45 will never shrink.

Hope this helps...
    Profound...

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Remember two things:
    1) The 9mm may or may not open.
    2) The .45 will never shrink.

Hope this helps...

Wow, thats more than profound. Thats like the same battle in the archery world. Fixed blade broadheads or expandables. Expandables may not open but fixed blades will never shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Most of the GREAT 9mm JHP rounds will expand to .63-.75". A .45 starts at .45... and will usually get to .75" with some exceeding that. This is because of speed. The faster the round goes the more it lends itself to expansion. That being said, modern HP's have a larger velocity window under which they will perform...

Which means you have a 115-147ish gr .63-.75" slug passing through you. Or a 190-230gr .75" slug passing through you. Now if they don't expand the .45 is going to do what it has always done. Hit harder.

But with that, you will also get less ammunition per size and weight of the host weapon, and increased recoil.

It's all a trade off that needs to be weighed by the end user and suited to their needs / abilities. This is why there are so many calibers available. No two people's needs are exactly the same, and neither are their abilities. If they were we'd only have one pistol caliber and one type of gun to shoot it.

In the end, I don't want hit with either! As much of a fan as I am of .45, I do NOT kid myself about what 9mm JHP will do to a person's insides.

I picked 9mm + a good JHP as a weapon for carry. So I guess that's my personal choice. I like 10+1. vs 5-6+1 for the same size and weight pistol. The .45 guys will say well, don't miss much and there won't be a problem slappy McNutz. But knowing my luck I will. So... my choice is what it is.
    Great info, and thats the reason I went with an XD-9. I would have liked a .45, but the larger magazine was more important. I still stand behind the theory that no one likes being shot with anything, So IMHO 9mm even FMJ will do just fine. Ask soldiers from around the world who have been using 9mm FMJs for years with deadly affect.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123