Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Rossi .357 questions

I am thinking about buying a Rossi .357 that is used for $199.00. I am only planning to use it to shoot at the range and will not carry it. Is this a good deal.

I can also get a Taurus .38 special for the same price.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Rossi .357 questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jettagls00 View Post
    I am thinking about buying a Rossi .357 that is used for $199.00. I am only planning to use it to shoot at the range and will not carry it. Is this a good deal.

I think they are only $300 new,for a range gun I would stay with ruger or s&w...the taurus and rossi are made cheaper and can't handle handloads..(the taurus might).

(Allegheny County)

My brother has a .357 Taurus that he carries and has probably put around 300 rounds through so far with no problem. Sounds like a decent price for a used Taurus .38.

I haven't had any experience with a Rossi but from reading numerous forums it seems like Taurus is more highly regarded.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jettagls00 View Post

Sounds like a fair enough price if it is perfect condition. I purchased mine ( model 462 ) for $ 330 new. It's a bear with 357 loads, the larger grip on the snub nose helps but still kicks like a mule. Nice with +p or 38 specials. Rossi and Taurus have been one for a while, not sure if they are made the same, but I have had no problems with mine. Good luck !
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lackawanna County)

Rossi is made by Taurus. i think, dependent on it's condition, that $199 is a fair price, as long as it's LNIB. if it's beat up, $100 might be better. i'd sooner get the Taurus, if they're the same price; they generally of better quality. and, many Taurus models are +P rated, so they can handle handloads; just check the manufacturer's specs to be sure. i had a Taurus 85UL, i love, and miss, that little gun.

(Jefferson County)

It'll depend on when it was made.. Taurus make's Rossi's newer revolvers, but Rossi made their's prior to about 3 years ago.

The old Rossi's were better made than the newer Taurus units, and would be worth the extra money. The later production units aren't so grand made under Taurus.

$200 might be a hit/miss opportunity on that deal.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

In my experience the Rossi 357 is pure scrap metal. I had a ss 2 inch 6 shot and it literally fell apart in my hands. Cylinder fell off the yoke and the crane cracked. I was shooting factory loads. Before that the trigger would occasionally "lock" in da until I forcefully pulled the hammer back. I would not recommend it. Rossi is kind of like Taurus's economy line. IMO Taurus is kind of an economy line of guns itself so you dont want their budget versions. If you insist on it get the model 85. They have a decent track record. I suggest though saving an extra hundred and find a Ruger GP100 or SP101.