Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: No Weapons Allowed (Lycoming Mall)

Wow talk about a thread coming back to life...

Anyways kinda on topic, the mall I work at (galleria in York), I have yet to see a sign. But I would seriously discourage ignoring a no weapons sign.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

This thread may be years old, but I wanted to offer my perspective as a former security officer at Lycoming Mall. I held that job from 2009-2015, and was working there when this thread was posted.

A lot of officers did not want to directly enforce this policy. Lycoming Mall is private property, and their policy was no weapons of any kind... for non-law enforcement. If you had a weapon, even with a valid concealed carry permit, we would ask you if you were law enforcement first. If you were, we wouldn't hassle you further. If not, then we'd ask you to put your weapon in your vehicle outside. If you refused, then you'd be asked to leave. If you refused that, then the police could be called, and you would be charged with criminal trespass as a defiant trespasser. However, I never confronted anyone with a weapon, and I don't think it ever escalated to the point of police being brought in.

Most of us were former law enforcement, future law enforcement, gun owners, or a mix of all three. Lycoming Mall's policy was no weapons, but our policy at the time from AlliedBarton Security specifically stated that we did not have the training to confront armed individuals under any circumstances. So our direction was kind of vague. We worked directly for AlliedBarton as contracted security, but Lycoming Mall's policy was in direct contradiction to our own corporate policy. Furthermore, the mall management signs off on our own policy. They probably never read the damn thing themselves, but they signed their names just the same, every mall manager, and our policy specifically said "do not confront." Frankly, our boss wanted us to confront anyone caught carrying in the mall. However, a lot of us, myself included, didn't want to do it. I never had to make the decision. However, I only would have done so if someone reported it to me. It only made things more confusing that Dick's sold all sorts of firearms too.

I don't know what the policy is now, nor do I care. The mall's security went in house, and the last security director I heard about was one of those former officers who refused to confront people who were carrying. He was a big Second Amendment guy.

Don't misconstrue any of that as "you're allowed to carry weapons in Lycoming Mall." I don't work for them, I don't speak for them, I only tell you how we officers felt about the policy when I worked there.

As an aside, a restaurant employee in the mall found a loaded gun on the floor. The employee thought the gun was a toy, and picked it up. The gun went off, inside the restaurant. Fortunately, no one was hurt. We later found out the owner didn't have a holster, and just kept it in his sweatpants pocket.
    Last edited by Kessler131; May 24th, 2018 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kessler131 View Post
    This thread may be years old, but I wanted to offer my perspective as a former security officer at Lycoming Mall.

As an aside, a restaurant employee in the mall found a loaded gun on the floor. The employee thought the gun was a toy, and picked it up. The gun went off, inside the restaurant. Fortunately, no one was hurt. We later found out the owner didn't have a holster, and just kept it in his sweatpants pocket.

Welcome to the forum. BTW we hate dicks sporting goods here. Whatever happend to the gun owner who broke mall policy?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Chester County)

Apparently that person hadn't seen the Eddie Eagle training that the NRA sponsors. When you see a gun stop, don't touch, leave the area, get an adult.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Whatever happend to the gun owner who broke mall policy?
    Not sure, but ironically one of my fellow officers claimed to have sold the gun to the owner. Our supervisor was pissed, lol. That very same officer eventually replaced our supervisor as the next security director.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    and pulled my sweatshirt down as far as it would go. I put my hand in my pocket while grabbing the bottom of my sweatshirt to keep it held down and covered my sidearm with my arm so that it would be harder to see the bulge under my shirt. We walked through the mall towards the shoe store and I noticed a rent-a-cop "patrolling" the mall and got a little nervous but I continued to proceed to the store. W
    http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...lNoGunSign.jpg
    If you have to do all that to conceal your firearm, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Holster View Post
    If you have to do all that to conceal your firearm, you're doing it wrong.
    He does sound like a suspicious character.

You shouldn't look like you're hiding something when concealing.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Where did Kessler go?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Where did Kessler go?
    Fending off the Mortal Kombat machine from the Yakuza?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

My general feeling is that if we want other people to respect our rights then we must respect theirs. If everyone does as they please then people who don't like guns may also arbitrarily ignore the law and attempt to impose their will on us.

That being said, only one entrance to the Lyco Mall (what is left of it) has that sign. I hardly ever use that door.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast