Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Public Range - No membership required?

ok, i'm looking for a range in the York area that doesn't require membership to shoot at. currently, i mainly shoot at the SGL range near RT74. that is no longer preferrable, as i recently picked up my first AR, and loading a 30 round mag with 3 rounds just seems wrong somehow. not to mention very inconvenient. also, the drive does get a little long when i just want to shoot to kill some time.

so, does anyone know if any of the ranges in the York area allow people to pay a range fee to shoot, without becoming a member? i know freedom armory is nearby, but i've heard they can get a little pricey if you shoot regularly.

just an FYI, i don't have a problem joining a club, but i might not still be in the area in a couple of months, and i don't want to pay a year's worth of dues for 2-3 months of semi-regular shooting.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Public Range - No membership required?

Look at it this way... lots of chances to practice tactical reloads and mag changes.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ddog101775 View Post
    ok, i'm looking for a range in the York area that doesn't require membership to shoot at. currently, i mainly shoot at the SGL range near RT74. that is no longer preferrable, as i recently picked up my first AR, and loading a 30 round mag with 3 rounds just seems wrong somehow. not to mention very inconvenient. also, the drive does get a little long when i just want to shoot to kill some time.

so, does anyone know if any of the ranges in the York area allow people to pay a range fee to shoot, without becoming a member? i know freedom armory is nearby, but i've heard they can get a little pricey if you shoot regularly.

just an FYI, i don't have a problem joining a club, but i might not still be in the area in a couple of months, and i don't want to pay a year's worth of dues for 2-3 months of semi-regular shooting.
    real good club IWLA right near you but need to pay year dues..freedom has a daily 20 fee then 12 bucks for half hour..which adds up quick..

IWLA is 50 initiation then 75 a year at that club but once you pay that initiation i believe when you move if you found another IWLA in that area you wouldn't pay the 50.

(York County)

Look around. There are some clubs in York county with dues as low as $20 for a year. That is well worth it IMO.

Since you are in loganville. IWLA is a logical choice since it is about 2 miles away.

(York County)

Or even York Riflemen in Hellam. Probably about 15mins or so from you but with dues at $25 per year....well worth it IMHO.

Starview Sportsmen has a great range but their rules are only 1 round in the gun at a time. (so much for that 30rd mag)

(Cumberland County)

Dillsburg Fish and Game is only $20 as well and about 5 miles from the SGL range but is still a liitle ways for you.

(York County)

so, no one knows of a local range that doesn't require a membership?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Other than SGL's, I don not know of ANY clubs that do not require membership. The few rental ranges that I have been to, and the SGL's of course, do not require it - - but you get what you pay for, in this case, too.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(York County)

Nope only one might be the york indoor range next to fairgrounds.

(Cumberland County)

I don't think anyone actually enforces that. Certainly not on the pistol range. guys there burn through 40-50 rounds before stopping, and then it is only if I requested it. it was a giant unorganized mess that day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast