Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Westmoreland County Parks in violation of 6120, UPDATE PAGE 3

UPDATE!!!!

the New Odinance has Passed. It removes the original wording about no carry of firearms.

TIME FOR A COOKOUT!!

this saturday April 24th:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-114/9...-together.html
    Last edited by renegadephoenix; April 22nd, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Montgomery County)

Outstanding! Congratulations! Thanks for your hard work!

(Allegheny County)

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Westmoreland County Parks in violation of 6120, UPDATE PAGE 6

Good job.

I just saw the report on the "change in the law" on WPXI.

It was VERY brief. "Blah, Blah, Have to follow state law..." Next story please.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Link to the Trib Live Article for today:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_677752.html

Westmoreland County Commissioners voted yesterday to change an ordinance to allow guns in all county parks.

Commissioners Tom Balya and Tom Ceraso, both Democrats, said they had no choice but to amend the county's 1974 parks ordinance so it concurs with state law that allows firearms in public places, including parks.

"We would be foolish to try to keep an ordinance on the books that would not pass muster in court," Balya said yesterday after a handful of county residents both for and against the proposed ordinance change addressed the commissioners.

Republican Commissioner Charles Anderson did not attend yesterday's meeting and did not cast a vote.

The change approved removes wording from the original ordinance, which was amended in 1995, that banned firearms from specific areas of county parks. The revised law now carries no prohibitions of guns, but bans the discharge of firearms outside of designated hunting areas.

The county allows hunting in six parks: Mammoth, Twin Lakes, Cedar Creek, Northmoreland, Bridgeport Dam and Chestnut Ridge.

Gun opponents asked commissioners to table the proposal.

Marian Elizabeth Mientus of Norvelt told commissioners she will no longer take her goddaughter to the park because of the revised gun ordinance.

"I don't want anyone to fear for their children's safety in the recreation areas of the county parks. Why do we need more guns in our parks where we take our children to play? What is more important than our children's safety?" Mientus said.

Ann Moser of Ligonier told commissioners that allowing guns in the parks would encourage more dangerous activity and that she, too, feared for her children's safety as a result of the change.

"This ordinance is about white, angry men who enjoy looking menacing," Moser said.

Proponents of the ordinance change said it was needed to bring Westmoreland County into compliance with state law. For decades, the Westmoreland County park police have virtually ignored the prohibition on guns in the parks and issued no citations to anyone with a firearm.

Chris Smith of Penn Township lobbied commissioners to pass the change. Smith is holding a rally in favor of the Second Amendment this weekend at Twin Lakes Park and said he began researching the gun issue to ensure those attending could legally take their firearms into the park during the event.

"This gun rights issue was never a rally about gun rights. It was about the county adhering to state law," Smith said.

Commissioners said the revised ordinance will have little or no effect on park visitors.

"We could not have enforced an ordinance that was unlawful in our commonwealth," Ceraso said.
    Last edited by renegadephoenix; April 23rd, 2010 at 07:56 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(York County)

This TRUTH.....

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    For decades, the Westmoreland County park police have virtually ignored the prohibition on guns in the parks and issued no citations to anyone with a firearm.
    <snip>
    Commissioners said the revised ordinance will have little or no effect on park visitors.
    "We could not have enforced an ordinance that was unlawful in our commonwealth," Ceraso said.
    VS the STUPIDITY of these women's FEELINGS.....

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    Marian Elizabeth Mientus of Norvelt told commissioners she will no longer take her goddaughter to the park because of the revised gun ordinance.

"I don't want anyone to fear for their children's safety in the recreation areas of the county parks. Why do we need more guns in our parks where we take our children to play? What is more important than our children's safety?" Mientus said.

Ann Moser of Ligonier told commissioners that allowing guns in the parks would encourage more dangerous activity and that she, too, feared for her children's safety as a result of the change.

"This ordinance is about white, angry men who enjoy looking menacing," Moser said.
    Good work ---- There is no (valid) reason after all these years of the UFA that communities should ever think they can legally regulate possession & carry.... but I guess the L&S Ordinances prove that Valid Reasoning is not really prevalent in some of these governing bodies....

ID

(Allegheny County)

Another Update:

Got a phone call from one of the Commissioners while i was in Harrisburg. First off he wanted to thank me for all i have done so far. then He invited me to come in see his office, talk guns and politics, and tell tall tales of great hunting trips................ there are some things we talked briefly about that i am looking forward to discussing with the commissioner, that at this time i can't say on here.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Clinton County)

my damn rep button is always broke for you...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456