Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Westmoreland County Parks in violation of 6120, UPDATE PAGE 3

Link to story:
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_676547.html

GUNS MAY BE ALLOWED IN PARKS

Westmoreland County commissioners are considering an ordinance that would legalize guns in county parks.

Officials said Wednesday the proposal would update a 1974 code that generally outlawed firearms at the parks but allowed guns in specific areas for hunting. Solicitor R. Mark Gesalman said that ordinance, amended in 1995, conflicts with a state law that permits guns in public places.

"In Pennsylvania, you cannot restrict somebody's right to carry a firearm, except in restricted areas like courthouses," Gesalman said.

The proposal strips existing language from the code that specifically bans guns from the parks. The revised ordinance would allow guns in all areas of county parks, but permits the discharge of firearms only in designated hunting areas.

The county allows hunting in six parks: Mammoth, Twin Lakes, Cedar Creek, Northmoreland, Bridgeport Dam and Chestnut Ridge.

Under the new ordinance, deer hunting in designated areas would be permitted with rifled slugs, muzzle-loaded rifles or bow and arrow. Small game and fur-bearing animals can be hunted only with shotguns or bow and arrow.

Nick Caesar, chief of the county's park police, said no citations for violating the firearms ordinance in the parks have been issued in decades.

"It's never really been an issue for us," Caesar said.

Violation of the ordinance carries a fine ranging from $25 to $600.

The impetus to change the ordinance came from gun advocates who have spent several months lobbying the commissioners for a revision.

Christopher Smith of Penn Township said he discovered Westmoreland's existing ordinance was out of compliance with state law while researching legalities for a meeting of Second Amendment advocates to be held April 24 at Twin Lakes Park.

"I don't want to see any citizen brought up on any charges because of that law," Smith said.

Kim Stolfer, chairman of the Firearms Owners Against Crimes, said the existing ordinance violates state law.

"It was a crime, and the people who enacted it committed a crime," he said.

The proposed ordinance is on display at the courthouse. The commissioners are slated to vote on it April 22 at their next meeting.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    Kim Stolfer, chairman of the Firearms Owners Against Crimes, said the existing ordinance violates state law.

"It was a crime, and the people who enacted it committed a crime," he said.
    This needs to be drilled into the heads of reporters (and their editors) on any issue regarding municipalities enacting gun control laws. It is a crime for localities to enact such laws.

I am surprised that quote even got printed... most media outlets gloss over the fact that it's illegal.

(Allegheny County)

it was on Channel 4 news:

http://www.wpxi.com/news/23164305/detail.html

Damn they put an Anti Spin on it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Clinton County)

I love how they had some bimbo dimwit talking about her son getting shot like people are going to be having old west showdowns in the playground. Same thing as always; trump up an irrational fear to get people's emotions to cloud the view of the truth. I HATE THE MEDIA.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    I love how they had some bimbo dimwit talking about her son getting shot like people are going to be having old west showdowns in the playground. Same thing as always; trump up an irrational fear to get people's emotions to cloud the view of the truth. I HATE THE MEDIA.
    Well, they tried to pick the most naive person they could find... it was her. You can tell the teenaged mother already hasn't made the greatest choices in her life... I hate the media as well!

(Montgomery County)

“Now we've got to change the ordinance of the parks to agree with the law of the land and people are going to be permitted to carry guns openly in the park,” Director of Public Works Claude Petroy said.

“We have to comply with the law,” he said. “We cannot change it. We can’t walk up to somebody and say, ‘You're not allowed to carry that gun here.’”
    I love this. Every county/municipality should be saying the same. Following the law is not optional.

(Westmoreland County)

I'ts not surprising that the media put an anti spin on this. They never miss an opportunity to create conflict in place of simply reporting the news. Great job Chris, thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Wow, that lady is about as dumb as a brick.

“I mean he's only three,” she said of her son. “Bunch of my girlfriends only have little kids. If one of them gets shot, what are they going to do about it?”

“Bad idea,” she said. “They say no accidents will happen, but they always do, so.”

She obviously does not realize that people are probably carrying concealed already. Send her back to the herd, baaa.
    Last edited by Paintwerk; April 16th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Westmoreland County Commissioners Meeting set for Arpil 22nd, 1000 hours. location Westmoreland county court house.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Adams County)

Renegade, thank you for your hard work and diligence in standing up for our rights! Its people like you that have the fortitude to stand up and get it done, thanks again!

As for the bimbo in the article she states "They say no accidents will happen, but they always do, so" well, I certainly wish someone had the opportunity to challenge her statement (of course the unbiased press won't) and ask her to provide valid statistics but sadly enough she probably only knows the statistics for who got the most votes on Dances With Stars or American Idol or some other inane mindless television show.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast