Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Blackberry smartphone stops bullet

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...rs-543968.html

By Steve Bennish, Staff Writer Updated 1:50 AM Friday, February 12, 2010

BUTLER TWP., Montgomery County — A woman’s BlackBerry cell phone saved her from serious harm after her boyfriend’s concealed handgun discharged inside a restaurant.

The incident occurred about 11 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 6, in Fricker’s on Miller Lane, said Butler Twp. police Capt. Carl Bush.

The gun owner, Anthony J. Holtvogt, 24, of Kettering holds a concealed carry permit for the firearm.

He faces one charge of possession of a firearm in a liquor permit premises. The third-degree felony is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Bush said Holtvogt, his girlfriend, 22, and other friends were enjoying beers at Fricker’s, 6834 Miller Lane. The girlfriend lives in Butler Twp.

When they prepared to leave, Holtvogt told police, he picked up his coat and began putting it on. The firearm was in the coat pocket.

The sleeve got caught in the coat, and as Holtvogt reached down, he noticed the slide on the .32-caliber handgun was pulled back. The gun then discharged.

The slug put a hole through his coat and his girlfriend’s jeans, but struck the BlackBerry in her left pants pocket dead center, Bush said. The bullet caused only bruising, and the woman declined medical treatment, Bush said.

“The BlackBerry saved her absolutely,” Bush said. “It could have been pretty serious.”

If Holtvogt is convicted, he faces a mandatory revocation of his concealed carry permit, Bush said.

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, which issues the permits, has been notified, Bush said.

I didn't know there was a app for that?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Blackberry smartphone stops bullet

Quote Originally Posted by CG1492 View Post

BUTLER TWP., Montgomery County — A woman’s BlackBerry cell phone saved her from serious harm after her boyfriend’s concealed handgun discharged inside a restaurant.

The incident occurred about 11 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 6, in Fricker’s on Miller Lane, said Butler Twp. police Capt. Carl Bush.

The gun owner, Anthony J. Holtvogt, 24, of Kettering holds a concealed carry permit for the firearm.

He faces one charge of possession of a firearm in a liquor permit premises. The third-degree felony is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
    Bush said Holtvogt, his girlfriend, 22, and other friends were enjoying beers at Fricker’s, 6834 Miller Lane. The girlfriend lives in Butler Twp.

When they prepared to leave, Holtvogt told police, he picked up his coat and began putting it on. The firearm was in the coat pocket.

The sleeve got caught in the coat, and as Holtvogt reached down, he noticed the slide on the .32-caliber handgun was pulled back. The gun then discharged.

The slug put a hole through his coat and his girlfriend’s jeans, but struck the BlackBerry in her left pants pocket dead center, Bush said. The bullet caused only bruising, and the woman declined medical treatment, Bush said.

“The BlackBerry saved her absolutely,” Bush said. “It could have been pretty serious.”

If Holtvogt is convicted, he faces a mandatory revocation of his concealed carry permit, Bush said.

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, which issues the permits, has been notified, Bush said.

Bold mine....

I was not aware carrying in establishments that serve alcohol was prohibited. Where is that state in the law?

(Washington County)

Not Butler, PA, its in Ohio.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT128 View Post
    Bold mine....

I was not aware carrying in establishments that serve alcohol was prohibited. Where is that state in the law?

It happened in Ohio.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT128 View Post
    Bold mine....

I believe this story is out of Ohio, not PA. I am going to assume they have such a charge there.

There is no PA law against it.

ETA: Damn I'm slow.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Warren County)

OH

Edit: too slow

(Allegheny County)

Yeah that is the one thing I hate about carrying in Ohio with my UT Concealed Firearm Permit - not being able to go into any place that serves alcohol - practically every place you go to eat serves alcohol. Sports arenas serve alcohol, the IX Convention center serves alcohol....

Hey if you can have a drink - your life isn't worth protecting!

I wonder if he had a pocket holster for the gun or if it was just sitting in his jacket pocket?
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Saw Butler and assumed PA. My error.

(Allegheny County)

Yep, under Ohio law, the only persons allowed to have firearms in an establishment licensed to sell alcohol are the license holder or off-duty police officers working as security at said establishment.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CG1492 View Post

If it were a 9mm the bullet would have stayed in his pocket... We all know the 9mm doesn't penetrate very well, right?
    Last edited by ReconLdr; February 12th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast