Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: man cleaning a handgun in York shot his 3-year-old

I think too, alot of gun owners think a good cleaning of their weapon is a rag with some oil. They hold it normally, and wipe down the outside with a cloth.

To me, cleaning is full disassembly. I know my father in law cleans his by wiping the outside of his rifles with a very nice microfiber cloth and some gun oil. I don't think the barrels have ever been cleaned. Infact, his beautiful revolver, he let me take it for a trip to the range - beautiful on the outside.
    I had to clean the inside of the cylinder and barrel. A lot of dust, and what almost appeared to be light cob-webbing in them.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    I think too, alot of gun owners think a good cleaning of their weapon is a rag with some oil. They hold it normally, and wipe down the outside with a cloth.

To me, cleaning is full disassembly. I know my father in law cleans his by wiping the outside of his rifles with a very nice microfiber cloth and some gun oil. I don't think the barrels have ever been cleaned. Infact, his beautiful revolver, he let me take it for a trip to the range - beautiful on the outside.
    I had to clean the inside of the cylinder and barrel. A lot of dust, and what almost appeared to be light cob-webbing in them.....
    on an extremely pointless note, cob webs suck moisture but erase this from your mind because its completely pointless and the brain space could be used for much more important knowledge... sorry... i'll be leaving now bye
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

(Adams County)

I never know what to say about dumbasses like this. I have a 4 y/o daughter, so my guns are never loaded until going into my holster or getting to the range. And I make it a point that she is not even on the same floor of the house when I am clearing my guns, which are pointed at a brick exterior wall. What an asshole. I also like how the only people quoted in the article were antis. Just more bad publicity for responsible gun owners.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Montgomery County)

Article should read:
    YORK, Pa. -- A man cleaning a handgun in York negligently shot his 3-year-old son in the back, according to police.

Regarding cleaning with a round in the chamber. Some people don't clean their bore after every shooting and just wipe down the exterior. Not an excuse for not clearing the weapon before handling though.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Cleaning seems to mean "dicking around with," these days.
    I think that's what it's always meant, at least in this context. "It just mysteriously went off while I was cleaning it." seems to be an acceptable excuse for stunning negligence in the minds of many people.

(Monroe County)

negligence is negligence. Had this man been to a safety training course or been educated by someone responsibe, that accident would have ever happened. My 7 yr olds know better about gun safety than this guy. I get upset with them for pointing a toy gun at anyone. stupid actions have consequences and thank GOD that child didn't get killed for his fathers ignorance.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1 View Post
    negligence is negligence. Had this man been to a safety training course or been educated by someone responsibe, that accident would have ever happened.
    Not necessarily true. Negligence is negligence and is not dependant on training.

There's plenty of police officers who have shot someone by ND. All police officers are "trained".
    And there's been firearm instructors who have had ND's as well.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Not necessarily true. Negligence is negligence and is not dependant on training.

There's plenty of police officers who have shot someone by ND. All police officers are "trained".
    And there's been firearm instructors who have had ND's as well.
    My bad. what i meant to say was why the f was he pointing a potentially loaded weapon even remotely in the direction of his child? Ignorance is remedied through education, there is no cure for stupid. Most of the AD's by cops is during a stressful encounter where they are intentionally pointing their gun at someone that they have reason to believe might need a quick hot lead injection. Most, but not all. I personally had ONE AD when preparing to go into the woods. was chambering a round in a Winchester 94 and upon closing the action, the hammer fell, firing a round into the dirt. Scared the shit out of me and everyone else with me, but thankfully i had the common sense to be pointing it in a safe direction. Never happened again. I clean my weapons around my kids sometimes, but all of my guns are cleared before i leave the shooting range, except the one that is on my belt, which is where it resides. That gun is cleared pointing into the fireplace and cleaned after they are in bed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    obviously two people that expect superman to bust in and stop the bad guys if they invade their homes.
    No, they're just two people that think the police are standing outside of their home all day long to make sure nothing happens to them. They even programmed 911 on the homeowner's phone...ya know...just in case

(Lancaster County)

PA. CRIMES CODE 2705 RECKLESSLY ENDANGERING ANOTHER PERSON -
    THATS THE CRIME- HE SHOULD BE CHARGED AND ARRESTED AND HIS CCW
    PERMIT REVOKED. THIS GUY AND MANY LIKE HIM SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED NEAR A FIREARM FOR ALL OF OUR SAFETY!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234