Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Durabake Enamel on my Marlin .22

Looks like Duracoat pulled through for me this time. I bought my first rifle (actually my mother bought it) at a yardsale about 10 years ago, a simple and beautiful Marlin bolt action .22. It had a few rust spots that I scrubbed and attempted to blue at the time but it didn't turn out so well. They turned out as protected well enough but cosmetically poor blobs. I also had some rust along the stock lines and under the sights upon inspection this week when I decided to do a complete takedown and cleaning. I stripped the blue and attempted a complete refinish but it looked terrible. Having some Durabake enamel laying around I decided to try it again and refinish this rifle. Before I knew it I was knee deep in small parts and fabricating hangers for them out of nylon cord and paperclips. Shes still in the oven but I'll post some pics when its all done later tonight. It looks like things are turing out better than my previous Duracoat projects.

My oven wasn't big enough, but if you crank it up all the way you can get a good 300 degree heat...seems to be working so far!

Last edited by emsjeep; February 11th, 2010 at 04:09 AM.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Default Re: Durabake Enamel on my Marlin .22

Good stuff...it finished well. It looks like the baked enamel is going to hold up well, but we shall see. It took longer and hotter than the can called for to dry and set. They say 10 minutes at 300, this took, probly an hour per section per coat.

I held off on doing the whole bolt as the enamel is very thick and I was worried about fit issues. Perhaps I will do it with the next round of parts. I think I may do my mod.98 mauser in the black Durabake Enamel if it holds up.
    I'm not sure what that reflection is on the word "fire" but its not there. The problem I usually have, and am having here, is that places of metal-metal contact scape right off. The safety here cycles in contact with the receiver and cut a line in the finish.

Last edited by emsjeep; February 11th, 2010 at 05:40 AM.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

You could always try to put the barrel action diagonal and see if it fits that way. I'm not a fan of Duracoat at all...not sure how their thermal cure is but their air cured stuff is crap. Your oven does look a bit small.

I know that my 26" barrel along with my action will fit into my oven if I place it diagonal.

Looks like your project turned out alright. Another tip is to have the old finish removed aka sand blasted. Using steel wool or sandpaper won't give you good results...best way is to remove the finish completely. If you can parkerize it before you use a thermal cured finish will give you the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    You could always try to put the barrel action diagonal and see if it fits that way. I'm not a fan of Duracoat at all...not sure how their thermal cure is but their air cured stuff is crap. Your oven does look a bit small.

I know that my 26" barrel along with my action will fit into my oven if I place it diagonal.

Looks like your project turned out alright. Another tip is to have the old finish removed aka sand blasted. Using steel wool or sandpaper won't give you good results...best way is to remove the finish completely. If you can parkerize it before you use a thermal cured finish will give you the best results.
    My next purchase will involve some media blasting equipment. Really no point in doing it at home at all if you have to send it out 3 times before you spray paint it. It does not fit diagonal.