Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Bolt-on pistol grip stock for Saiga 12 question

I have been considering buying a Saiga 12 for some time now. I've also been reading about pistol grip conversions extensively, because the shotgun just doesn't look good (in my opinion) without a pistol grip. I like doing things myself, rather than taking the lazy way out... but I don't think a legit pistol grip conversion is for me. I'm no professional machinist, so I don't wanna be drilling or cutting a Saiga up; I'd rather have a gunsmith do that, but I don't have the money, either. What I'm getting at is this: my only real option right now is a bolt-on pistol grip stock.

Are they any good? Pros and cons? Any advice you can offer would be great.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Bolt-on pistol grip stock for Saiga 12 question

honestly... the pistolgrip conversion is pretty easy, and adding teh bolt on pistolgrip stock still invokes Section 922(r) on US parts content due to you making a version of the gun thats banned from import(if you use a forein made saiga pistolgrip stock)

the only cutting to the receiver is for the pistolgrip hole, and if ya want it really nice, some welding to attach the trigger guard and to close up the rear trigger assembly holes after the parts are removed.

tapco G2 hammer/trigger/disconnector, a US pistolgrip and US buttstock satisfies 922(r) for parts content, maybe less if using a US made AGP mag or MD Arms drum

I actually had Tony at Tromix do my trigger guard weld and pistolgrip nut hole cut as i didn't have a welder at the time... I do now, and if i had to do it again, i'd do it myself for a small cash savings.

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Blair County)

Default Re: Bolt-on pistol grip stock for Saiga 12 question

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
    What I'm getting at is this: my only real option right now is a bolt-on pistol grip stock.

Are they any good? Pros and cons? Any advice you can offer would be great.
    Personally I think the Tapco bolt on stock that puts the pistol grip behind the receiver is quite possibly the biggest slap in the face that you can do. It effects the balance of the weapon and puts unnecessary plastic bits into the equation.

As for not wanting to cut and drill on a Saiga if you want to tackle this job yourself you will have to at least cut/chisel off the bottom "sporter plate". Beyond that there are a few different routes for "bolt on" parts. I use the bolt on in quotes because some minor filing might be needed since this is an AK and is made to those tolerances.

Full trigger guard bolt on
    http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/t...e15f1b5dc7d24f

Personally I did the work myself, its not terribly difficult to do. Biggest hangup is taking a dremel etc to the gun.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."