Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Pimp My Safe (LED Lights and PALS webbing panel)

Quote Originally Posted by moshan View Post
    It started with a Bighorn 31 CuFT Safe from Costco.... I decided to add some "Piranha Bar" LED lights from Oznuim.com. Wired them off a dimmer / off switch and through 12v adapter... Great lights that allow a very clean install.

Can you give us a ballpark figure on the cost of the lighting? Very nice looking job you did there!

(Delaware County)

very nice..can't wait until I buy a house and can have a large safe.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Franklin County)

I likey. I likey ALOT.

How you like the Bighorn safe?

(Allegheny County)

wow I really like the webbing, you guys have some nice setups haha

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    Wow Nice! btw whats the name and model of the safe? i was looking into getting one and that one looks awesome!also whats the price lol? thanks!
    It is the 31 CuFT Bighorn safe from Rhino Metals, model number 6039. Costco has them at $1300.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...023&lang=en-US

In September of 2009, Costco had the safe on sale for $300 off, so I paid $1000 that INCLUDED shipping to the driveway. The truck had a lift gate, and the driver rolled it right into my garage on his pallet jack. I looked at some other safes of similar size/ weight, and delivery added another $200 to $300 to the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAfarmboy View Post
    I likey. I likey ALOT.
    How you like the Bighorn safe?
    It is my first safe, so I don't have anything to compare it too. The specs are excellent in comparison to safes costing twice as much...

http://www.rhinosafe.com/bighorngunsafes.html

It is an awesome safe for what I wanted. It is heavy (830 lbs) and looks massive sitting in the corner of my basement. It is not a "pretty" safe with a nice glossy exterior... the metal has a kind of a rippled look, and the black paint has a low gloss finish. My buddy looked at it and said it reminded him a lava flow he saw when stationed in Hawaii... Interior was good compared to allot of the other brands I looked at and is equivalent to a $3,000 big name safe I had considered. Customer service was quick to answer my questions about bolting it to the floor, and even called to follow up with me to see if I had an questions about 2 weeks after it was delivered. Only complaint is that the safe was shipped without a 9 v battery in the lock. I had one on hand, but if I did not, it would have been an issue because I wanted to open and inspect the door function prior to signing off on the delivery. Have not had any other issues, and have thankfully not had to test the post fire or break in attempt replacement warranty. In short, huge value for the money....
    Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    Can you give us a ballpark figure on the cost of the lighting? Very nice looking job you did there!
    The lights are Piranha Bars from Oznium.com. They are an LED strip enclosed in an acrylic tube. I wanted an enclosed LED so I would not accidently bump a light with a front site blade and short the whole system...

http://www.oznium.com/piranha-bar

I used 4- 20 inch bars ($15.99 each) and 4- 10 inch bars ($8.99). You will also need an AC Adapter. I went with the 5 Amp ($30.99) which is way more than I needed, but I wanted the option to add addition lighting later. You can daisy chain the lights, but I used their Junction Box ($8.99) to give a easier, cleaner install, and I added a rotary style LED Dimmer Switch ( $16.99). The LED lights draw very little current, so you don't need heavy gauge wire. I used a spool of thermostat wire that I had, and used butt connectors rather than soldering so I could remove / replace a light bar later if it burned out. My full light set up was $157 plus shipping.

Oznium has several other LED options, including a flexible LED light "tape" which might have been interesting.

In all, the total cost of my set up (less MOLLE pouches) was just under $1,300 with safe ($1,000 on sale) lights ($157 plus shipping and some wire, etc that I had), an 18 inch Golden Rod ($20), and PALS webbing panel ($100).
    The cost of the MOLLE pouches added quite a bit to my set up, as the TUFF PRODUCTS inline pistol Mags run $40 each from Dillon Precision and I used 6 of them...ouch. Worth it to me though, as they maximize space, getting 5 double stack or 8 single stack mags in the same MOLLE real estate that would have held 2 mags using standard mag pouches.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte...Magazine_Pouch

(Allegheny County)

you should post that in the "I'm so tactical" thread. lol

you're so tactical, you safe has webbing lmao

another positive thing, with those LEDs your safe can easily be seen if it ever gets lost at sea
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

very jealous... looks awesome......

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 556slinger View Post
    you should post that in the "I'm so tactical" thread. lol

you're so tactical, you safe has webbing lmao

another positive thing, with those LEDs your safe can easily be seen if it ever gets lost at sea
    I was going to hook the LEDs into my sound system so the safe lights would strobe to the beat, but i have not gotten around to that yet...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rgb03 View Post
    nice setup. heres my light setup so far. still have to add to the lower levels. these are the linkable light from home-depot. the come with plugs to connect them together. i think the run in the 10 to 15 range.

you need a bigger safe... there's no room for that shoulder thing that goes up.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Great job it looks really cool!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast