Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Help - STI Spartan

Hey guys,

I've traded my Glock 17 and a few $ for a brand new STI Spartan. I'm looking for two holsters. One a IWB and one OWB. I contacted Crossbreed and they let me know that the STI Spartan will NOT fit their regular 1911 Supertuck. Is the Spartan a different size then regular full sized 1911's without rails? If so, anyone have any suggestions on IWB or OWB. I figured if it doesn't fit th crossbeed it won't fit other regular 1911 holsters ... Looking for some answers before I spend over $100 on two holsters.

: back out to shovel MORE snow :

Eric

(Chester County)

Default Re: Help - STI Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Hey guys,

I've traded my Glock 17 and a few $ for a brand new STI Spartan. I'm looking for two holsters. One a IWB and one OWB. I contacted Crossbreed and they let me know that the STI Spartan will NOT fit their regular 1911 Supertuck. Is the Spartan a different size then regular full sized 1911's without rails? If so, anyone have any suggestions on IWB or OWB. I figured if it doesn't fit th crossbeed it won't fit other regular 1911 holsters ... Looking for some answers before I spend over $100 on two holsters.

Eric
    That's pretty odd; I don't have any clue why they'd tell you that. As far as I know, the Spartan is like any other plain vanilla gov't 1911. I've handled them, didn't notice any differences.

In any case, here's list of holster links from STI, directly.

http://www.stiguns.com/Holsters.php

Or you can get a custom rig from Alessi, Sherrick, Milt Sparks, or Kramer.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Berks County)

Thanks, Rule. Marty from crossbreed said they do not make one for the Spartan model. I even double checked and asked wouldn't it fit the regular 1911 holster they have and again he said no, he told me to check with Galco and DeSantis.

On another note. I do have some 45 brass saved up but also have about 500 rounds of Blazer aluminium cased 45's. Will this give my new 1911 any issues? I've read a few places that steel can be rough on certain parts. Is the same true with aluminium?

Thanks!

Eric

(Chester County)

On another note. I do have some 45 brass saved up but also have about 500 rounds of Blazer aluminium cased 45's. Will this give my new 1911 any issues? I've read a few places that steel can be rough on certain parts. Is the same true with aluminium?

Thanks!

Eric
    Aluminum? Probably not a problem.

The issue isn't so much the aluminum screwing up your chamber or extractor -- those are hardened steel -- the problem is that hard stuff (grit, sand, or anything that doesn't compress) can get in between an aluminum case and the chamber, resulting in a scratch or gouge. This can happen with brass, too, but brass deforms easier, so you're less likely to have it happen. If you clean your guns and don't dump your ammo in the sand or dirt before shooting it, you'll certainly better off than if you don't.

I don't shoot it in my guns, and I know a few people who shoot a ton of it with no problems. It's not that I have a huge aversion to it -- it's just that I save my brass for reloading, and I don't mind the mild premium you pay for brass, anyway. I spend enough money on my guns as it is; I don't want to mess around with buying and fitting new barrels.

Steel?

I wouldn't. The above problems are substantially worse than with aluminum. You're also more likely to chip your extractor.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Berks County)

Again, thanks.

(Lackawanna County)

aluminum casings shouldn't cause any problem; i've never heard of anyone having any sort of issue.

PM sent.

(Delaware County)

If you think you are going to be hanging onto the STI for awhile and want to drop a few bucks on primo leather, I can't say enough about my Pure Kustom holster. I got the Black Ops Pro, and its super adjustable IWB and an awesome pancake OWB, totally concealable either way. Craftmaship is on par with del Fatti and Alessi and Rocky (owner and maker) is an awesome guy. Best part is, the wait time is very reaonable (5 days for G30, 2 weeks for Kimber Warrior) and he will make it custom for each gun. PM me if you need details!!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Chester County)

Hey guys,

Eric
    Call him back up and ask him if it will fit a Rock Island.

The STI Spartan is built on a RIA frame/slide. The STI frames are a touch wider in some places, so that's why he's probably saying it won't fit. That or the height of the front sight (bomar/ LPA cut) is the problem.

Tell them you have a RIA with a tall front sight (bomar target sights) and see what they say. My bet is that you'll be able to use it.

(Berks County)

You are probably right. I contacted El Paso and they said they can custom make one they just have to adjust for the sights.