Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CCW revolvers

(Lehigh County)

Default CCW revolvers

Can anyone recommend a sub nosed revolver for CCW?

what is the difference between .38 & .380? Isn't this the same thing?

something in a stainless steel finish would be nice.

Anyway, all recommendations are welcome.

Default Re: CCW revolvers

Pending on your hand size, anything in the model 36 S&W /Rossi line, larger a big, the Ruger SP101, larger yet, the Ruger Security/Safety 6 if you can find one.

.380 and .38 is not quite the same, bullet wise that is, the diameter is basically the same. .380 compares more to 9mm then to .38
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Centre County)

I carry a S&W 340PD in my pocket at all times. Its a 5-shot .357 Magnum revolver. Its recoil is NOT for the faint of heart. There are lots of good choices for stubbies out there, i'll let others chime in on that as i've only had first hand experience with my 340.

As for the the diameter of the ".38 special" Quick history lesson, back when S&W created the .38 special, cartridge calibers we're measured as the diameter of the brass case mouth. So actually a 38 special fires a .357" projectile.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

I have carried a 2 inch 6 shot taurus model 65 for a long time and it is blue, I like the 6 shots and it carries as well as a 5 shoter IWB and don't see the need for stainless as mine has held up well enough. The 380 and 38spl are not the same , typical the 38 is found in wheelguns and the 380 in little autos , the 38spl throws a heavier bullet , regardless I would say get a 357 snubbie wheelgun and shoot the ammo of your choice , frankly I think you have more choices in the gun you want buy doing this as there seems to be more 357 snubbies out there now than 38 snubbies.

other snubs i have would be the taurus 605 in 357, it's ok
    the ruger sp101 in 357, it's good to but has the worst double action pull despite changing springs , think it may be the grips
    a rossi 85 in 38spl , been alright
    and a taurus 85ch in 38 , like that for not having a hammer spur
    used to have a smith air wieght in 357 , it was a decent gun but shot so low I was afraid I would hit the bad guy in the foot and get sued

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    I carry a S&W 340PD in my pocket at all times. Its a 5-shot .357 Magnum revolver. Its recoil is NOT for the faint of heart. There are lots of good choices for stubbies out there, i'll let others chime in on that as i've only had first hand experience with my 340.

As for the the diameter of the ".38 special" Quick history lesson, back when S&W created the .38 special, cartridge calibers we're measured as the diameter of the brass case mouth. So actually a 38 special fires a .357" projectile.
    In addition:

The 38 caliber class originally used heeled bullets just like most rimfires. The bullet was the same diameter as the casing, but held by a foot that the edge of the case mouth was roll crimped to. The 38 special used a seated bullet that fit within the case mouth, however it retained the name "38". The 38-40 is actually 40 caliber.

The .380ACP(Automatic Colt Pistol) is a semi-rimmed cartridge that is meant for auto-loading pistols and uses .355" bullets just like the 9mm and 38 Super.

The 38 Special is a rimmed cartridge meant for revolvers that uses a .357" bullet.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

I can recommend a Taurus 85...preferably one of the Ultra Light or Multi-Alloy models. Weight, especially if you pocket carry, is definitely something to consider when carrying a handgun. But one has to balance the weight (of the gun) with the recoil. Lightweight handguns have more recoil.

I've carried an 85 Multi-Alloy for many years now. Nice gun, easy to carry.
    Although mine has a hammer (all that was available when I bought mine...but I do prefer single action/double action versatility), a concealed hammer or shrouded hammer is probably more practical for pocket carry.

These have been replaced by the model 851, by the way.
    The 851 is virtually the same revolver.

By the way, a .38 is a revolver round, a .380 is a semi-auto round. Although one member wrote the .380 is comparable to a 9 mm, it's doesn't have the power of a 9. However, that doesn't disqualify it as an excellent self defense round.

(Lehigh County)

Hammer or hammerless is not a factor for me.

I would probably carry IWB style.

I have seen some nice one's out there in a .357, but not many in a .380.

What are some of the companies that make them?

They seem to fall in a very good price range as well.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Pending on your hand size, anything in the model 36 S&W /Rossi line, larger a big, the Ruger SP101, larger yet, the Ruger Security/Safety 6 if you can find one.

.380 and .38 is not quite the same, bullet wise that is, the diameter is basically the same. .380 compares more to 9mm then to .38

I currently carry a glock 19 and it fits well in my hand.

I was looking for something in this size, just a tad shorter.

(Northampton County)

Here's a couple TAURUS snub nosed revolvers that I carry on occasion. Both are light weight (titanium frames with s.s. barrel inserts) and have great actions.
    http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/99...p5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast