Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default What do I need to do w/ gun in Ohio?

Hello all,

I have been trying to research this as much as I can. I have to spend a few days in Indianapolis, Indiana. I am traveling with my family and want to be able to protect them as I do in PA.
    I checked the http://www.handgunlaw.us/ web site to see reciprocity maps. It looks as if Indiana honors our PA LTCF. Cool - same rules basicly where I can cann't carry in PA.

My question is what about OHIO? I realize I can not Conceal Carry in Ohio - I believe I need to place gun in lockable box away from ammo in a different container. This lockable box can not be accessable from the drivers seat & if stopped for any reason by LEO I must tell him about my cargo? I only plan to travel thru Ohio & will only be stopping for gas, food, & pee breaks ( as my wife calls them).

What Am I missing?

Thanks in advance..........Eric

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: What do I need to do w/ gun in Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by CHAUKA View Post
    Hello all,

I have been trying to research this as much as I can. I have to spend a few days in Indianapolis, Indiana. I am traveling with my family and want to be able to protect them as I do in PA.
    I checked the http://www.handgunlaw.us/ web site to see reciprocity maps. It looks as if Indiana honors our PA LTCF. Cool - same rules basicly where I can cann't carry in PA.

My question is what about OHIO? I realize I can not Conceal Carry in Ohio - I believe I need to place gun in lockable box away from ammo in a different container. This lockable box can not be accessable from the drivers seat & if stopped for any reason by LEO I must tell him about my cargo? I only plan to travel thru Ohio & will only be stopping for gas, food, & pee breaks ( as my wife calls them).

What Am I missing?

Thanks in advance..........Eric
    The bold sums it up.. I think OH is a must notify state if I remember correctly. But, I dont know if that pertains to CCW or CCW and transporting.

To be safe:

1. just do the speed limit
    2. abide by all traffic control devices
    3. move to an adjacent lane if there are safety/LEO/emergency workers along side the road. If you cant, you must slow to 35 or 45mph(I think)

Dont give them a reason to stop you..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Smile Re: What do I need to do w/ gun in Ohio?

I live in Ohio, and can help you here. If you happen to have a non-resident license from a state Ohio honors, like FL, VA, or Utah, you can carry in Ohio. It would have to be in a holster secured on your person, locked in a glove box or container, or in a case of some sort in plain sight if not locked. If you don't have a valid license Ohio recognizes, just make sure you have the gun unloaded in a container locked in the trunk, and keep the ammo in a separate container of some sort, which can also be in the trunk. I'd even keep the action open on the gun too, but you don't have to. If your pulled over, you don't have to notify unless asked. You only have to notify if you are transporting or carrying a loaded handgun in the car, acting under a license. As you can tell, Ohio's gun laws still suck, but not the worse either. I can tell you I enjoy carrying in PA much more, esp since I can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. Thank goodness I only live 30 minutes away from the state line.

(Westmoreland County)

We offer Utah permit classes which as stated above, is honored by Ohio. Our next class is Sep 11th. However, it's currently taking up 100 days to process non resident applications.

http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_utah_ccw.htm

(Westmoreland County)

Knight, Weights

Thanks for the Feedback!!

Tony -

I am thinking a Utah Permitt is a good thing to have.

Eric

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

As weights mentioned you can get an NRA Basic Pistol Training certificate, and apply for a Florida non-resident CCW License. The Florida non-resident license is accepted in Ohio.
    If Guns cause Crime, then Matches cause Arson.

NRA & OFCC Member.

I highley recommend tony's utah CCW class... it was quite painless

Reviving this old thread for one quick question. (was searching didn't want to make a new topic). Is it necessary that one must "Lock" it separate. For instance. I am going to Rodgers today for their flea market and what not, then coming back to PA. Would it be sufficient at the boarder to pull over and place them in 2 unlocked separate containers?
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

(Allegheny County)

(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

Here is where I get a little confused on the law. As it seems according to (B) it can be loaded but must not be accessible from the passenger compartment. Example the trunk.

But according to (C) it must be unloaded and stored in a closed container (nothing about locked, I believe that is only in the Federal Interstate Transportation of Firearms laws), in a compartment not accessible to from the passenger compartment, and two other ways that I do not believe are viable for pistol transportation.

I would stay on the safe side and keep it unloaded in the trunk and in some kind of case. I would use a case anyhow regardless of law so its not loose. Also personally for me in my vehicle I have no separate passenger area (Honda Fit Hatchback) so (B) is completely out for me anyhow. I visit Ohio often so I am really studying the code before I take my UT class in Oct.

Definition of Unloaded

(5)”Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

Read the rest of the code for stuff about drinking and what to do when pulled over.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16
    Last edited by QuackXP; September 3rd, 2010 at 07:29 AM.